How Soon Will You See Results After Starting Thyroid Meds?

Guest lizmego

Guest lizmego

Dell was just diagnosed with low thyroid. He has been losing hair and lethargic on walks. So we started him on meds this Saturday. How soon do you think it will be before I start seeing any results? We have to go back in 3 weeks to check his blood levels again. Let me know if you want the name of the med and the strength and I can go get it.

Thanks.

Here is some info for you: http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/E.../Monitoring.php

Did pup have a full thyroid panel before starting meds? That's generally best.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For Carl it took about 3 months (his eyes started clearing up), but the fur didn't start really coming back for 6 months. He didn't have any lethargy, eating problems or behavioral problems.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Energy11

I am JUST starting to see changes in Curfew, and it is going on the third week :-)) He is wagging his tail, and running with me, etc. :-))) Good Luck! D

It took about 2-3 weeks for Hatter, gosh that was almost 7 years ago.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest lizmego
For Carl it took about 3 months (his eyes started clearing up), but the fur didn't start really coming back for 6 months. He didn't have any lethargy, eating problems or behavioral problems.

I just attributed Dell's weeping eyes to allergies...is this common in greyhounds with low thyroid?

1 Week with Chloe and there were moderate changes.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MnMDogs

Would you mind posting the meds and dose he's on? I think we're heading that way with Mork (TSH slowing increasing, and we're re-testing this week), and I'm just wondering what other hounds are prescribed.

I just attributed Dell's weeping eyes to allergies...is this common in greyhounds with low thyroid?

Carl developed whitish/bluish rings around his corneas, he was in no pain and had no discharge, no morning goop. My vet started treatment with a generic thyroid medication, but after reading a lot about it here and elsewhere I asked that she switch him to Soloxine. His eyes began rapid improvement after I switched him to Soloxine, that's also when the fur started coming back in.

Here are some pictures of his eyes:

Early on when it was misdiagnosed as Pannus:

CarlseyeinJuly20008.jpg

November2008.jpg

Fall of 2008

December2008.jpg

After treatment began with Soloxine

April2009.jpg

IMG_0891-2.jpg

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

He has been losing hair and lethargic on walks.

You might want to snap some detailed photos of Dell's hair loss now that you can use for comparison in a few weeks. If you've got some nice evidence to compare with, it might help your own peace of mind as you're watching Dell and trying to spot improvements in his condition. (Lethargy on walks may vary, based on the weather.)

My Sam had a totally bald throat when we started him on thyroid meds. It was only a few weeks before he started growing baby fine hair on his throat. (Bare buns took a bit longer.) Photos might have reassured me sooner that the thyroid meds were helping.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest lizmego

Thanks everyone. Dell has lost a lot of hair along the spine of his tail and his butt. I'll have DH take some photos. Great idea!

He's on Thyrozine 0.4 mg, 1 pill twice per day.