Anyone Have A Slightly-deformed Hound?

Guest Tuxsmom

Guest Tuxsmom

The new girl I am trying out, "Suzie" has a misshapen head and half an ear. In this picture, there is no optical illusion...that is really the shape of her head. It has a deep "crease" running diagonally across the top and one side is raised and the other sunken-in.

This deformity will have no bearing on whether I adopt her or not. Truthfully, unless she just all of a sudden turns un-cat-safe in the next couple of hours, she's pretty much found a forever home here :wub:

But has anyone had a "smushed-head" greyhound?

I am worried about future problems to look for. Like is part of her brain under pressure?

I'm assuming she was born like this..so her brain would have just formed in whatever space was available?

I'm just worred about any neurological problems after going through all of that with Penny.

Her nose also seems a bit shorter than other greyhounds.. Her teeth seem to line up ok.

And she's obviously in great physical shape...

any experiences or thoughts? would love to see pictures of similar hounds if there are any...

suzie2.jpg

GreytNut's Tiny (who is not! :lol ) has a misshapen head. He's pretty much as cute as your new friend Suzie :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Ohhhh June! Glad you have a little foster girl Suzie! I adopted my Curfew THE DAY after Bold Energy went to The Bridge :-))))))) We are very close.

I don't think her head is a problem at all. I have seen a few like that, but go ahead and check with you vet, to quell your fears. I am sure it is all good!

She is a real BEAUTY!

Hope you are okay! Dee

Guest argolola

What a beauty! Looks like Penny is already working from the bridge.

I don't think the head shape will matter at all. God bless you both!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

We had a boy who had a skull that looked similar to Suzie

One side looked normal but the left side was sunken in. Most didn't really notice unless I pointed it out.

I actually had a few adoption groups turn him down once I pointed it out. He was a sweet boy, never had any issues or problems. Just looked odd

Guest fandogs

Hi June,

Since we have whelped many litters at the farm (Hevener Farm) , I can suggest that it's possible his mom accidently stepped on him as a very young baby.. and kind of crushed a bit of his head... eventually the skull closed and hardened in it's current shape.. Probably nothing wrong with him or his brain function.. will just look a bit odd.

Hope this helps.

Maxine

Guest trevdog

I'd get her checked out, but if she acts fine, I doubt it's an issue, she was probably born that way. I'm guessing her ear might be from a fight or injury she got in awhile ago....

She's a cutie though

Guest Tuxsmom
Hi June,

Since we have whelped many litters at the farm (Hevener Farm) , I can suggest that it's possible his mom accidently stepped on him as a very young baby.. and kind of crushed a bit of his head... eventually the skull closed and hardened in it's current shape.. Probably nothing wrong with him or his brain function.. will just look a bit odd.

Hope this helps.

Maxine

ahh..that makes sense. I had been thinking either that or she was squished in the womb or something.

How old are they when they get their tattoos? Her half ear happened before that, because the tattoo is shifted inward to allow for the missing part.

thanks for all the stories of similar hounds :)

still hoping for pics from some !

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Personally I don't really notice it that much. But as others said, maybe a chat with your vet will ease your mind a bit.

You have a good heart to take on another especially one so needy.......fingers crossed she continues to be cat-friendly

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

I like the unique ones :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest PhillyPups

She is beautiful :wub:

A woman in Daytona had a pup with a unique skull (prefer that term to deformed :lol ) who reired as an A racer. He was "more unique" than she is, was his skull and face. He was a beautiful sweet boy, he was 10 when I moved north.

She is beautiful and possibly lost half her ear to landshark puppy play. :lol

It does not sound like her uniqueness bothers her any - maybe that is what removed her catzapper button :lol

From what I can see of it, I'd guess at a birth defect, especially with the placement of the half ear and the diagonal crease, which seems to be along the lines of a normal skull 'suture'. If it happened during the formation of the skull, while she was in the uterus, the brain inside would likely have formed in the available space, so unless part of the brain is actually missing or deformed then she should be just fine.

She's very pretty, and her eyes show no sign of any lack of alertness or intelligence! :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest BatesieGreys

I know this is SLIGHTLY off topic, but I had a cat who was born missing an eye and with one side of her face/head sunken in a little bit. The only problem that it caused was that her sinus was an odd shape on the one side and it made her breathing VERY loud (she snored too). Other than that, she was perfectly healthy.

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

So odd you should post this, because just a few nights ago I was noticing that Buddy's head is a little "lumpy". But I must admit, with all due respect to my other 2 boys, Buddy is certainly the brightest one in the group! Maybe the lumps are from excess brain! :lol

Hmm ... just been googling. Seems that if a person has craniosynostosis (premature closing of one or more of the skull sutures), it results in just this type of deformity, and it can be part of a whole syndrome including things like deafness and webbed or clubbed feet and fingers ... but I would imagine that if Suzie has grown to adulthood with no sign of any other defect, she'll be fine and won't develop other symptoms.

Better to let a vet pronounce on that though!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest goodtimekid

She is a doll face. I think it's cool to have a "unique" greyhound. Hoping she remains in your home for a very long time...

Guest Tuxsmom

Yep, she totally normal otherwise. And she's almost 2 years old, bright, alert, lots of energy...I would guess anything major would have shown up by now.

She only had 2 maiden races. That's it! My darling DH, Sam, jokingly said "yeah thats because she ran right instead of left". He loves any animal that is "unique". We have 3 legged, 7 toed, one eyed, etc etc etc. I do wonder why only 2 races though.

She does have one toenail that points sideways. Might have to keep an eye on that, possibly even remove it (ouch) when she's having something else done like a dental.

Guest G2G_Greys

My big boy Methos has a sunkin in head on his left side. He had a fine racing career and has had no problems at all with it. Though over the years his head has caved in a little more. I love him just as much even with a deformed head. He also has rib that stickes out some. And sadly it was hard to get him adopted because he looked different that is why he is with me. I love my goof ball head boy.