Demon's Osteo

Guest MorganKonaAlex

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad to hear Demon made it through surgery okay. Sending prayers for a quick and uneventful recovery. Hopefully he'll have as easy a time of it as Cosmo has.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Very glad that the surgery is done.

Sending lots of good thoughts for the joruney ahead :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Glad surgery went well. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Lots of prayers and good thoughts coming your way. I am glad the surgery went well and hope you have another Morgan on your hands!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Good morning! I'm just checking in to see if you've had word about how Demon did last night. I've been thinking of him (and you) and hoping everything is going well.

FL

So glad the surgery is over. Just checking in to see how his recovery is going.

Sending prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Sorry, I wasn't on-line much yesterday. We picked up Demon late yesterday. Overall he's doing ok. He's had a lot of bleeding under the skin. Dr. Massat does a lot of amputations and is very familiar with greyhounds and this is the worst he has ever seen. He ran a coagulation test on Demon and it came back normal. Dr. Massat called us before we picked him up to prepare us for how he looked. If we were not comfortable with the nursing duties, they would gladly keep him another night. With all that build-up I thought he looked better than I expected but he was standing. After we got home and Demon was laying down, I could see it was quite extensive. We're keeping an eye on it. Demon's on an antibiotic and codeine. He's showing very little interest in food. I've only been able to hand feed a bit of tripe and he drank an Ensure. Hopefully, it was enough food to buffer his stomach for his pills. He's gone outside to pee and poop. We still have the ramp we built for Morgan, so that makes it easier. He's quite wobbly on 3 legs and is a bit slower than some other dogs learning the adjustment. Dr. Massat agreed with that. I'm not surprised given his personality; he always went down stairs very slowly. Perhaps the codeine is making him a bit woozy too. He is extremely stoic so I don't think I can depend on pain signals to know when to dose the codeine. He'll get fully dosed for a while. He was quiet all night. He got up a few times to reposition himself and that was it. I went to take Cinder for our morning walk and he hopped to the door like he thought he should go along. He's definitely not ready for that. After finding a suitable poop spot this morning, he was exhausted and DH had to carry him in.

Dr. Massat thought we caught the osteosarcoma early. There was no visible deterioration of the bone. He also said the amputation took longer than normal because of his muscle mass. He hasn't been limping long enough for the muscle to atrophy. The visual inspection of the lymph nodes looked normal. It will take a week for the biopsy results.

On the situation with his heart: I've exchanged e-mail with OSU. I enquired about OSU providing the chemo. From other posts, they usually provide Doxorubicin but Doxo. can cause heart damage. I wanted their opinion on chemo protocols and was wondering if they could provide carboplatin. I got mail this morning that they would provide Doxo., but not Carbo. They also said it extremely rare a 6 year old greyhound would have degenerative valve disease. I'm in the process of tracking down exactly what they need so I can send it to OSU for a 2nd opinion.

Thinking of Demon as he recovers from his surgery.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

If you and your vet are concerned about the bleeding you may want to get a prescription for Amicar (Aminocaproic Acid). OSU recommends it but I don't think it's widely known about.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I talked to the surgeon. After asking detailed questions, he said he's not concerned about it. Demon just ate a whole can of dog food! :yay

Thanks for the tip about Amicar. Yesterday, I asked him about Arnica gel. He said he wasn't familiar with it.

Good boy, Demon!

The arnica gel is good but you have to be careful not to get it on open skin. Assuming Demon's incisions are anything like Cosmo's were, open skin may be difficult to avoid. FWIW, I looked at various photos of post-surgery subcutaneous bleeding in Greyhounds on the OSU website. Cosmo looked as bad as some of the worst of them, but hers cleared up on its own almost completely in about 5 days. But not until after her nervous Mom ran her back to the vet for a look-see, of course. :rolleyes:

Guest GreenGreys

Glad to hear the surgery went well and that your boy is home. We found the "bruising" on Ranger seemed to get worse the day after he got home, so we started taking photos; sort of a photo journal of his recovery. If you are concerned, or simply want to compare Demon's appearance with another pup, I'd be happy to email you some photos. Once the color starts to fade, it does so rather quickly. Also, we insisted on the aminocaproic acid which he took for 5 days after surgery.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm glad Demon is doing so well right after surgery and that he's eating again so soon! Good boy! I will continue to keep him in my prayers for a quick recovery and good back from vet!