How Much Peroxide To Induce Vomiting?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Energy11

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Last Sunday, Curfew got ahold of a CET toothpaste tube. Everything almost gone in it, and it was rolled up. I was concerned about the sharp edges of the aluminum tube, but "everything came out okay!"

They are like goats sometimes! Might be a good idea for that bloodwork on Bart.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Well the good news is that the squares that I thought were sugar free, were in fact NOT. So no possibility of him injesting any bad chemicals from that. Now to deal with the explosive D, and pick up my next foster tomororw. Hopefully she doesnt have any D like most fosters seem to have. Thanks for everything.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Well the good news is that the squares that I thought were sugar free, were in fact NOT. So no possibility of him injesting any bad chemicals from that.

I'm really relieved to hear this. (I've been checking in frequently for news.) Xylitol is such a quietly nasty killer and shows up in large concentrations in sugarless gum and candies. Since I know my Sam is a food thief, I refuse to buy anything with Xylitol; I can't be sure he won't get into it. The problem with Xylitol ingestion is that by the time the dog appears to be sick, the damage is likely to be irreversible...and fatal. It just scares the daylights out of me.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

glad to hear it wasn't sugar free either -- we lost a GPA-WI pup to Xylitol -- doesn't take hardly anything :( :( :(

hoping Bart is feeling better!!! :hope :hope :hope

(ps. remind me to tell you next time I see ya what we've had to do here to keep a certain stinker from eating/getting into things she's not supposed to :rolleyes: )

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Greyt_dog_lover
glad to hear it wasn't sugar free either -- we lost a GPA-WI pup to Xylitol -- doesn't take hardly anything :( :( :(

hoping Bart is feeling better!!! :hope :hope :hope

(ps. remind me to tell you next time I see ya what we've had to do here to keep a certain stinker from eating/getting into things she's not supposed to :rolleyes: )

That will probably be at Bluegrass when we see each other.

Chad

Sorry to come late to the thread - I'm glad everyone is okay! For future reference, I've been told that it's better to go ahead and give the pups a little more to eat in the form of bread before pouring in the hydrogen peroxide - it makes sure their bellies are nice and full and makes it easier to induce vomiting. We usually keep an old loaf of bread in the freezer and just toss the pieces in the microwave for 10 seconds to defrost them. Usually a couple of slices before using the hydrogen peroxide works well.

We always use a couple of tablespoons worth (via turkey baster) and if nothing comes up in 2 min, repeat. We've never had any of our hounds hold past the second dose.

I agree with doing it outside - I made that mistake once, but at least I mostly kept them in the kitchen where the floor was easier to clean, LOL.

We just got home from the vet. Our mix, Lucky, got about 1.5 ounces of very dark (72%) chocolate tonight. (Stupid momma trick, left my chocolate behind when I got out of the truck.) It took 6-8 ounces of peroxide (12-16 T) to induce vomiting. Luckily, we were about 90 seconds from our vet's (rather than 35 min if we were at home). At first they gave us the peroxide and a syringe to take outside and use ourselves, so they didn't have to charge us for an office visit, but we couldn't get enough peroxide in her (DH had his best silk Hawaiian shirt on), so we brought her in, and four techs in scrubs gave her enough peroxide 'til she puked what looked like brownie mix.

It's been a long day. Lucky seems fine, we got cimetadine (sp?) to buffer the pH in her stomach, and gave her a small dinner. DH is on his second martini. I'm still on my frist Mojito.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

When I've done peroxide I just hold the mouth open wide, tilt the head up. and pour.

Chad, don't bear yourself up over this. We've all done stupid things. One day I left Bu in the car for a bit and he ate my seatbelt. 2 weeks later, I left Bu in the car and he ate the new seatbelt. I can't tell you how many times I've smacked myself in the head for that.

Point is, we all make mistakes and it tends to take humans longer than the dogs to learn better. Just do what you can to make it right. That's what makes a good parent.

Guest Morgaynn

WoWzers! Chad! It sounds like everyone is on the mend.. Even if you're beating yourself up a bit.. Relax.. I've seen you with Bart... You and Jen are simply wonderful people. 'Nuff said. Sometimes the most awful things happen to the best people, there's not much you can do except learn from it, and move forward with the newly acquired (in this case re-acquired)knowledge and make the best of the situation. At least we know that Olive is the smoker in the house.. Sounds like she might need the Patch! :P

Hugs to you n Jen and Scritchens for Olive and Bart!

Lily n Nike

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Bart is back to 100%, and Olive, well I caught her when I stepped out of the shower today jumping up on top of the crates looking for food. What a little stinker. Of course all available food is under snap-tight bins or behind doors. I just got a new foster yesterday so everyone is sleeping from playing in the yard today. Thanks everyone for your support.

Chad, Jen, Bart & Olive

Lily, did you see the Bluegrass info? Maybe we'll see you there.

Just seeing this after the fact. I am so glad it all worked out in the end, Yeesh, what an ordeal.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

We had to call animal poison control once after a friend's hound licked up some Kilz. They

recommended putting the peroxide in milk and letting the dog drink it. Said that if you just

pour it down their throat it can irritate the throat and cause coughing.

I've had to give mine peroxide once. The girls drank it in milk and threw up right away. Rocky

drank it and nothing. So we syringed some down his throat ... still nothing. Second

dose - up came everything.

We had to call animal poison control once after a friend's hound licked up some Kilz. They

recommended putting the peroxide in milk and letting the dog drink it. Said that if you just

pour it down their throat it can irritate the throat and cause coughing.

I've had to give mine peroxide once. The girls drank it in milk and threw up right away. Rocky

drank it and nothing. So we syringed some down his throat ... still nothing. Second

dose - up came everything.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05