Mosquito Repellant - What To Use?

We will be going on a trip soon, and where we are going mosquitoes will be a big issue. What to recommend for use on my greyt girls so they can be comfortable too?

A friend gave me some cedar spray, but I have never used it. Will this work, or will it harm my pups?

Any help will be greytfully appreciated!

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014

i use mosquito coils at my camp site and stick w/ the standard frontline and bring some spray along....just in case. the coils do a great job if you are sitting around. walking....hiking....when black flies are really bad my dogs just stick around so i can shooo them away.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I read somewhere that cedar is NOT good for dogs. It can be a major skin irritant I believe?

We use the NEEM spray that we got from Fritofeet here on GT. We use it for hounds and humans alike.

Otherwise I'd use something like Adams or Avon's skin so soft (the one that's safe for children).

I use Avon Skin So Soft - a capfull in a some water, wash the dogs down with a rag - keeps the bugs off and helps with dry skin and soft coats. Can also be put into a spray bottle for reapplying as needed.

PS - works on humans too!

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest lanielovesgreys

second (or third, I guess) Avon SSS. I hate the smell of regular and I've tested it. It works as well as OFF without the horrid smell. You don't have to spray everywhere. Just a couple of squirts and you should be good!

An acquaintance introduced me to Cactus Juice about a year ago. I tend to be a mosquito magnet and hate using products like OFF. Cactus Juice is 100% non-toxic, safe for children and leaves you smelling like a cream-sickle (seriously!). I've never tried it on a dog before, but I'm guessing it's probably safe. This stuff really works!!!

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

We use lavendar oil, it works for both our boys and us.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest MyBoys

We have a home at the Jersey shore right on the water, it is mosquito and greenhead fly city, I found Avon Skin So Soft works the best. I keep a spray bottle handy, half SSS and half water.