Waiting For A Radiology Read

Guest MorganKonaAlex

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 4baddogs

TONS of prayers that it's nothing serious. I'm the least patient person God ever put a breath into, so I'm sending you prayers for strength and patience while you wait for word on what this may be. Waiting is the absolute worst.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Tufts said the spot on the leg is a tumor, most likely osteosarcoma. They thought his heart size was within the acceptable range.

I would like to send the xrays to Tufts for a 2nd opinion. Can someone please post the mailing address ASAP? I'm picking the xrays up shortly and would like to get them FexEx'd today yet.

I don't know if you meant OSU or Tufts there. I thought Tufts had already read the x-rays. If you're wanting OSU's address:

• Dr. C. Guillermo Couto, DVM

• Dr. Paulo Vilar, DVM

• Dr. Liliana Marin, DVM

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, OH 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so very sorry. I also think it would be a great idea to get a second opinion.

Dr Couto and the OSU team are great. I see you already have the address.

Our thoughts are with you.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest MorganKonaAlex
Tufts said the spot on the leg is a tumor, most likely osteosarcoma. They thought his heart size was within the acceptable range.

I would like to send the xrays to Tufts for a 2nd opinion. Can someone please post the mailing address ASAP? I'm picking the xrays up shortly and would like to get them FexEx'd today yet.

Sorry, in my haste, I said Tufts when I meant OSU. I located the OSU address and the closest FedEx and ran to pick up the xrays. I sat in the parking lot reading the radiologist report and looking at the xrays through a rain soaked windshield. I started to doubt that I needed a 2nd opinion since it seemed obvious to me it was osteo. I went to FedEx. The first thing they said was they didn't think they could ship xrays. She then looked it up and said they could ship them but couldn't "pack" them. I needed to locate an office supply store and get something to send them in despite the fact they were already in an envelope. I left FedEx with directions to the Staples down the street. I sat in my car, called DH and decided not to send the xrays. I don't think there's any doubt it's osteo. If we decide to consult a surgeon, we will probably need the xrays.

This sucks. Of the 5 greyhounds I have/had, this is the 3rd one with osteo.

The radiologist report:

Shoulder, two views: There is a partially lytic (moth eaten

to permeative lysis) and partially osteoproliferative (smooth

new bone formation) lesion associated with the proximal left

humerus. Thorax, two views: The cardiac silhouette is mild

to moderately enlarged (more evident on the VD view). A

component of this is likely related to the patient breed and

conformation.

Conclusions: Aggressive lesion of the proximal left humerus.

Osteosarcoma is the primary differential. Although biopsy may

yield information (cell type), amputation is the likely

treatment of choice.

Mild to moderate cardiomegaly, thought to be slightly excessive

for the breed. The possibility of a component of DCM cannot be

excluded, and echocardiography and cardiac consultation are

recommended. No evidence of metastatic disease.

:(

Sending hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Speedhoundz

I am so sorry. My 6.5-year-old grey was just diagnosed with OS a couple weeks ago. I hate this disease! Sending lots of hugs your way.

:(

Keeping you and Demon in my prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm sorry. :(

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry you got this news. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Demon is scheduled for a heart ultrasound on Monday to try to find a cause for his enlarged heart. It may also dictate the treatment options for osteo.

Guest GreenGreys

We'll be thinking of you and your boy this weekend. Cyber-hugs and encouragement coming your way from the sunny south.

Pat and the recovering Ranger

Demon is scheduled for a heart ultrasound on Monday to try to find a cause for his enlarged heart. It may also dictate the treatment options for osteo.

All the best. Our thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

I'm so sorry you got this diagnosis. My thoughts are with you and Demon.

Just FYI -- if you need to get ahold of anyone at OSU a phone call is your best bet. I have not had much luck with emails. Also, the last email I got said Dr. Couto is out until the 10th. I have found Dr. Marin the easiest to contact and she has been very helpful. Not that they all aren't, but I am just telling you what my most recent track record has been. When I needed Cosmo's xrays Fedexed back to me for the surgeon to look at Dr. Marin personally went and rounded them up and also assured me she would send them out herself if she couldn't find a tech to do it. I got them back on a Saturday. So while they are all busy, if you need answers or action in a hurry, I seem to have had the best luck with her. Good luck.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest EmbersDad

u know how i feel about osteo..i need to learn some swears in a different language....

Edited by EmbersDad