Need Help Fast

My Maggie has kidney damage from gingivitis she has been on KD FOOD AND PILLS FROM THE VET since august , just now she threw up all her breakfast three times fell on the floor and started thrashing aroung out of controll , we jumped on her and calmed her down , the vet is closed and on there way home , one tetch did answer the phone and said it sounds like she is dieind , we are lying on the floor with her and she seem to have calmed down , any ideas PLEASE she is my girl.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeps - is there a 24-hour emergency vet in your area? My vet has the number of an e-vet on their recording when they are closed - maybe yours does too?

I am so sorry the vet tech wasn't more help! You'd think she'd have given you some advice about where to go if your vet isn't in available!

::hugs::

I hope Maggie just had a bad spell and is feeling better now :-(

Seizure. Can you get in touch with JillysSixPack (Judy & Mike & Kevin)? They could advise how to help until you can get to the vet.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sounds like maybe a seizure to me as well. Did she lose control of her bladder or bowels?

We live in a small town and the vet will come in for us. We just pay an emergency fee for the visit. Is this an option for you? Can you get her in to someone else today?

I do not know anything about kidney disease. I don't know if seizures are part of it. I would not be so worried about the food coming back up as she probably didn't feel well, but the seizure would concern me. I would try to feed her something easy on her stomach a little later.

When our dogs had seizures, they slept a very long time after. It was like trying to wake the dead. My friends' dogs were ravenous after the awoke. Mine weren't, but that just seemed to be us.

I will say a prayer for you and your Maggie.

Sending hugs,

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Her eyes are twitching and rolling back , the vet tetch told us to take her to another vet and have her put to sleep------I'm not going to do that to her she does not seem to be in any pain now and is lying calm , she told us to give her a duramax----I wont do that , now she is having small spasams above her sholders.

The kidney disease I can't help you with, the seizure I can. Now that she's calmed down, give her something with sugar in it, it doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to bring her sugar level back up. Her sugar level will drop dramatically after a seizure. She's also going to need to be cooled down, use a wet towel on her belly right off the bat, her temperature rose dramatically with that seizure. She's going to be disoriented for a while and may stumble around, let her slowly get up and watch her, she may pant and pace, it's her way of cooling off.

See if those things help and then I'd get her to the vet asap. How old is she? Watch her carefully, she may have another one and she may not.

We must have been posting at the same time. If she continues to twitch, she's not totally out of the seizure yet. If it lasts more than 10 minutes, call the other vet. He can give you some valium to stop the seizure.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest LadyChester

Do NOT listen to the vet tech! Many states do not require any real training to be called a "vet tech." This person does not sound like s/he knows what they're talking about at all!

Take the advice given above by Burpdog, Batmom, JillysFullHouse and then get her to an actual vet.

Sending positive thoughts for your girl :grouphug

Once the seizure stops, she may sleep for quite a while. I'd definitely get her to the vet at some point. You'll need to see what caused the seizure. She could also have more so I'd watch her carefully. I'd still call the other vet and see about some vallium just in case she does go into seizures again. It's very important to stop them because if you don't you could lose her.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

The kidney disease I can't help you with, the seizure I can. Now that she's calmed down, give her something with sugar in it, it doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to bring her sugar level back up. Her sugar level will drop dramatically after a seizure. She's also going to need to be cooled down, use a wet towel on her belly right off the bat, her temperature rose dramatically with that seizure. She's going to be disoriented for a while and may stumble around, let her slowly get up and watch her, she may pant and pace, it's her way of cooling off.

See if those things help and then I'd get her to the vet asap. How old is she? Watch her carefully, she may have another one and she may not.

We must have been posting at the same time. If she continues to twitch, she's not totally out of the seizure yet. If it lasts more than 10 minutes, call the other vet. He can give you some valium to stop the seizure.

Thank you --she is in front of a air vent her ears are cold , sharon ran for the corn surip and maggie is sitting up now eating the surip -- I can not thank you enough----now if you feel her heart it is quivering between beats , this is killing us.

she will be 11 in 2 months and has never been sick other than the bad teeth

I agree with Judy.

I'd also be talking to your vet re: the vet tech. She should have given you a number for an e vet at the very least.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

The seizure could be from the kidney disease. Linky I would get her to a vet for fluids as burpdog mentioned. :hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Her eyes are twitching and rolling back , the vet tetch told us to take her to another vet and have her put to sleep------I'm not going to do that to her she does not seem to be in any pain now and is lying calm , she told us to give her a duramax----I wont do that , now she is having small spasams above her sholders.

WHAT, if this is your regular vet office, RUN ,DON"T WALK to another vet. It sounds like a seizure. How many did she have? Some have cluster seizures ( maybe 3 or more seizures close together ). Call and speak with the E-Vet. There is nothing they can do for her as long as they have stopped. Let her rest and recover.

She is in no pain but might be kinda out of it and tired when she is done.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

That's enough corn syrup. You just need a little to bring her blood sugar levels back up to normal. If they stay low she could go into another seizure. I will tell you that at her age, there has to be something causing her to seize. Most dogs develop epilepsy between the age of 3 - 5, dogs older than 6 at the most that develop seizures have a medical condition causing them. Whether it's the kidney disease I don't know if there is a correlation between the two.

If she does go into another seizure within the next few hours, follow the same procedures I listed above to help her after she comes out of it. The best thing you can do is make sure she is in a safe place, if she starts to seize there is nothing you can do for her but wait for the seizure to stop. Trying to hold her won't help at all. She's not aware of anything going on, she can't hear you talk to her, she can't see, she can't feel your touch and she's not feeling any pain. All of her senses stop during the seizure, especially grand mal seizures like the one she had. Once she starts coming out of it, then give her the sweet and cool her down again.

Since the e-vet is so far away, you should try and get a vet in the area to give you some Valium because that is the only thing that will stop the seizures if she clusters (more than 1 seizure in a few hours).

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Guest IrskasMom
Do NOT listen to the vet tech! Many states do not require any real training to be called a "vet tech." This person does not sound like s/he knows what they're talking about at all!

Take the advice given above by Burpdog, Batmom, JillysFullHouse and then get her to an actual vet.

Sending positive thoughts for your girl :grouphug

Please , Please do not listen to the Vet Tech .It sounds like a Seizure , but I am NO Expert . Judy, Diane and Batmom are

much better to give Advise . Hope she is getting better . Keeping all my Fingers, Toes and Morty his Paws crossed.

It's a scary Situation :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

About her kidney disease. I use Azodyl for my greyhounds with kidney disease. Read up about it. It is a natural herb and it works like dialysis. Marilyn with Grey Haven has used it and speaks well of it. We feel it extended one of our greyhounds life by at least a year or more.

Where are you located? Someone might have some suggests for a vet around you. Best of Luck.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I've had several Greys with kidney disease, and different stages and I must admit, I have never heard of it causing a seizure.

Misty's BUN was off the charts, she had a number that my vets had never seen as high and seizures were never a concern.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Please get her to a vet. My Gidge had kidney disease. She started throwing up blood and then started throwing up bowel. She needs to be seen right away.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE