Mast Cell Tumor

My chihuahua, Senor Enrique Rodriguez, has a mast cell tumor on his prepuce. It was removed but the margins were not clean. The only way to deal with it surgically is to do a penile amputation. I don't believe I want to do this with a dog his age (9 or 10ish). I got him from the shelter last fall and do not know his history. He had the tumor when I got him.

The alternatives are chemo and radiation. I don't have the details on this yet but am meeting with the surgeon on Monday. I have recently been reading that the FDA has just approved Palladia for canine mast cell tumors. Does anyone know about this drug?

My vet isn't familiar with it but is going to do some research. I am thinking I should contact Dr. Couto. Since the drug has just been approved, I'm not so sure how available it is. I assume I would have to go through a vet school.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks

ps Senor is feeling great :)

post-4803-1245450504.jpg

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

I have no suggestions for you, but wanted to let you know that Senor is in my thoughts and hope that you find some answers! I would be interested in hearing how things go. What a cutie!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Thanks Diane.

My vet hasn't heard of Palladia but he is going to research it. He trained at OSU and knows Dr. Couto. I am going to ask my vet to contact him.

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

My vet isn't familiar with it but is going to do some research. I am thinking I should contact Dr. Couto. Since the drug has just been approved, I'm not so sure how available it is. I assume I would have to go through a vet school.

It may not be a vet school so much as a veterinary oncologist that you need- although a vet school may be just as good with something as new as Palladia.

Be prepared for sticker shock. The advantage would be that you'd be managing it in a small breed dog; but given the vagaries of pricing of veterinary meds, you may be best off getting the larger size pills and cutting them- provided that sort of thing can be done with Palladia.

Best of luck- the tyrosine kinase inhibitors have finally come to veterinary care!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I've only gotten an oral report from my regular vet who said as far as he could tell the lab didn't grade it. It's not a lab that he uses. Monday I meet with the surgeon - maybe he can tell me as he is the one who sent the samples in.

Guest jettcricket

My Jett had started with a mast cell tumor near his penis. They were able to remove the tumor with clean margins, but unfortunately he developed more surface mast cell tumors and then developed one under the skin near his armpit that came back as a stage 3.

Jett did receive chemo, no radiation. The oncologist at another hospital told our local vet that they have had some success with injecting the tumors with prednisone to shrink the tumors and to keep them at bay....we did lose Jett last May to mast cell cancer. :(

I would not opt for amputation either.....much too invasive!

Prayers for Senor Enrique Rodriguez. What a cutie pie!!

Please keep us updated.