Cee Bar Lando's Post Osteo Amputation Report

Guest LANDOLISA

Guest LANDOLISA

3:30pm (6/18/09), Received a call Lando's Surgery went well and that he was in recovery. They stated that he had gotten really cold during the procedure but they had warming blankets for him.

9:00am (Today), Received a call that Lando was doing fine, He had been trying to stand up, and when he finally stood up he kept looking back at his right back side. I guess he is confused about where his leg is, after all it was there when he went to sleep?!?!? They said he is doing fine and that they were going to start walking him a little this afternoon.

We were told that we could not visit him until Monday. This being Friday, they would not have the proper staff (Surgeon or Oncologist) on duty for our visit. Although heartbreaking :brokenheart , I understand their policy... also it will probably be better for him, that we don't go and see him, that way he stays calm and begins his healing process. We are 2 to 2 1/2 hours away from OSU and with work we can't get there today. Just hang in there Lando boy, will be there soon.

I want to thank all that gave us their thoughts and prayers through his Surgery, I know we still have a ways to go, to get him back to a somewhat normal routine. We have know idea of what complications might arise or how things will go from this point forward. We would appreciate any positive feedback and / or helpful knowledge that anyone could share.

Please keep Lando in your Prayers and thoughts.

BigLando.jpg

Edited by LANDOLISA

Guest Energy11

Glad all is well. OSU is THE best place to be if a houndie has to stay over the weekend. I'd trust ALL of mine there! Hugs and good thoughts from us!

Guest RynnAndLyra

I'm so glad he is doing well! And I'm so glad they are keeping him and you won't see him until Monday - because it is really hard to see them coming out of the sedative.

We had Sterling home within 2 hours of surgery - and believe me - it was heartbreaking.

That is great that he is getting up already!!!

Sterling just came in to see me - that means he just did two sets of stairs!!! And we are three weeks post op.

So glad the surgery went well!!!!

Glad everything went well & I hope his recovery continues that way. :getwell Lando!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm glad the surgery went well. It will be a loooong weekend for you, I'm sure, not being able to see him!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest LANDOLISA

6:04 pm (6/19/09). Just got off the phone with the Hospital. Lando will not get up for them and cries out when they try to get him up... When they have gotten him up he will not use his Left leg. Basically refuses to walk, just cries... :sad1 They are slowly taking him off the IV Pain Meds and using an epidural for localizing the pain.

They did tell me that he has a fellow grey amputee beside him, that has been there for 5 days, and maybe this will influence him to get up... This news is very hard to take, I just have to pray tonight for him to be strong... :goodluck:hope

Oh, the sweet boy....I'm so glad his surgery went well, but can understand your concern about being away from him, and his not wanting to walk. Is he a stubborn guy? A drama queen? Wonder what kind of floor he's on, if it's slick or he can get some traction. They do hate the slick floors, even more, I think, than stairs! I think he WILL walk for them, he just may take a little more time. They are all so different in the way they react and recover. Even the way they process the anesthesia and react to the pain meds varies. In a way, it's probably better that he is staying there. The first few nights, they are still feeling the anesthesia, and adjusting to the pain meds, and sometimes they are agitated, crying, restless, panting, etc. Pretty normal, I think. You probably wouldn't get ANY sleep if he was so home. So here is my advice: try and get some sleep NOW! And if you have any slippery floors, get something to cover them. I think most of us who've gone through this will tell you it may get worse before it gets better. So please try not to get too upset when he first comes home. This too shall pass.

I don't know if anyone has recommended that you check out Circle of Grey, but if they haven't, please do. Everyone there has gone, or is going, through the same journey. They are a wealth of knowledge and support. And so is Greytalk.

We need updates when he gets home.

And you are both in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Awww, poor Lando! I am glad to hear he came through the surgery okay, and I know that the first few days will be rough for him - but he'll be a happy dog soon, I am sure. I'll keep him in my thoughts (and what a handsome guy - I love that face!)

Lots of positive thoughts coming your way!

FL

Guest vahoundlover

I'm glad the surgery went well. Lando sweetie, feel the prayers making you stronger, willing you to feel better soon.

Guest HeatherDemps

I'm glad the surgery went well. He'll get to moving around. It is an adjustment for sure but I think the drugs might sometimes confuse these poor guys even more. I know it's hard, but it probably is better for you and for him to not go see him too soon. We had to wait only two days, but that's only because Dempsey wouldn't eat at the hospital and they thought he might eat for us (he wouldn't). It was rough.... Your boy is in the best hands and I am sure he will amaze you again and again.... :)

Guest LANDOLISA

As of This morning (Sunday, 6/21/09) at 9:00am, Lando is still at OSU, but has been moved from ICU, to a regular observation area in the Hospital. :thumbs-up:yay He is eating and going out to the bathroom without the help of a sling. Although they say he does get tired easy, which I think is expected since he is just two days removed from a major surgery.

They said there is a possibility that we can bring him home on Monday (6/22/09). I only want to do so if he is ready, We miss him greatly , but I do not want to rush bringing him home. We have made our house handicapped accessible for him , we have placed a large area rug in the kitchen, to cover the flooring. I have built a ramp from the rear entry of the house to the backyard. DW has inspected it and it passed inspection.

Can't wait to bring him home... Please Keep those thoughts and prayers coming at him, I know this has helped.... :inlove

Edited by LANDOLISA

Keeping your boy in my thoughts and prayers

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am so glad to hear that Lando has continued to improve over the weekend! I've been too busy to get to the computer, but I've been keeping him in my thoughts. :bighug

Guest LANDOLISA

Today 12:12pm - We thought we would be on our way to pick our boy Lando today, however he started bleeding through his incision yesterday afternoon. :sad1:ohno They put him back into ICU and placed a pressure bandage on his incision. This morning they called and said that he would remain in the hospital again today.

Everytime they get him up, to go out he gets excited and his incision starts to bleed. It is not gushing, but it is enough to leave a puddle and they are concerned enough not to let him come home yet. Other than this set back, he seems to be doing fine. I just hope and pray that it is not something more serious. :goodluck:hope

Please keep the wishes and prayers going for our boy.

Lando-1.jpg

Edited by LANDOLISA

Guest VirginiaGreys

Lando is in my thoughts and prayers. He's in the best place though. Hang in there...you def. don't want him home before he's completely ready. :grouphug

Guest RynnAndLyra

Sterling is now 3 weeks post op - and he still has leaking from the incision site - not a lot - but it still happens. They said it is normal and that the fluid needs to drain.

Try not to worry!!!

Guest LANDOLISA

Lando passed away this morning @ 6 am. Never got to bring him home or say goodbye.

Will post a remembrance later.

Edited by LANDOLISA