Taking Temp- Need Help

Something is very wrong with Beau- want to take temp- use a regular rectal? How long and what temp is normal?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Hollys2hounds

Oh no, What's wrong?

Yes, regular rectal will be fine. I've done it God knows... many times (Ginger)

food related? heat??

re: how long.. I would do it for as long as you can (1.5+ minutes if possible)

You should get an accurate reading very quickly.

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Guest KennelMom

I use a regular human thermometer, insert and wait till it beeps. Helps if you have someone else hold the dog so they don't squirm. 100-102 F is considered a normal range.

Hope all is well....

Canine "normal" body temperature range is 100.5 - 102.5 Fahrenheit (38 - 39.2 Celsius).

A body temperature below 100 or above 103F warrants a call to your veterinarian

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Take a rectal temp, normal dog temp. is 100.5 - 102.5. I hope there's nothing seriously wrong with Beau, you've been through a lot with him.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Robin, I hope everything is ok with Beau! I put a little Ky jelly on the rectal thermometer. several wise greytalkers beat me to the normal temp. Please let us know how Beau is doing.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

OK- here's the deal.

We were at GAA picnic today. We went with friends and met new ones. I told one person in particular NO treats for Beau and what did he do? He gave Beau a treat.

I had a total meltdown on this man. I called my vet who said I really had to just wait and see.

I tried to make the best of the day with my heart in my stomach.

We drove home. 4 hours later- Beau is tripoding out of the car and will not eat. Now Beau is on pred. That makes him ravenous ALL the time and I mean ALL the time.

He is lying lethargic and won't take his fish treats. He is holding up the leg that he was holding up when he was diagnosed with polyarthritis.

Is it possible that the treat he got at 11AM did this? Beau has severe IBD and can only eat z/d and tilapia.

His temp is 102.0

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest Energy11

Yes, a rectal thermometer, lubricated, of course, and the temps between 100.5 and about 102.0 are considered normal. Please keep us posted, and good luck!

OK- here's the deal.

We were at GAA picnic today. We went with friends and met new ones. I told one person in particular NO treats for Beau and what did he do? He gave Beau a treat.

I had a total meltdown on this man. I called my vet who said I really had to just wait and see.

I tried to make the best of the day with my heart in my stomach.

We drove home. 4 hours later- Beau is tripoding out of the car and will not eat. Now Beau is on pred. That makes him ravenous ALL the time and I mean ALL the time.

He is lying lethargic and won't take his fish treats. He is holding up the leg that he was holding up when he was diagnosed with polyarthritis.

Is it possible that the treat he got at 11AM did this? Beau has severe IBD and can only eat z/d and tilapia.

ONE treat shouldn't do this, but you never know. Curfew is on Pred, and it is HORRIBLE! ALL he does is bark for food, so I know what it is like. Again, I doubt it was just ONE treat. Maybe the stress of the day, heat, etc.??? Hard to say. Good luck and I'd just keep a close eye on him. Let us know how he does. Hugs! D

His temp is 102.0

Doesn't sound like it's the IBD flaring--(IBD doesn't make them lame--crampy, lethargic,vomiting or diarrhea but, not lame). I would bet he overdid it today aggravating his P.A limb.

Rest, rest and more rest for him.

He didn't move all day, he relaxed

It's a flare of the polyarthirtis which is 2ndary to the IBD- best guess.

Edited by RobinM

Guest Energy11
He didn't move all day, he relaxed

It's a flare of the polyarthirtis which is 2ndary to the IBD- best guess.

VERY well could be! Poor baby! Hope he relaxes and sleeps well tonight! You too, for sure! Hugs!

When I get fed "inappropriate" foods on this diet, I get stomach pains 2-3 hours later (sometimes 1/2 hour later, depending upon the lectins in the food), and about 3-4 hours later I get remarkably sleepy- again, depending upon the lectins involved. Another time, I had two drops (!) of Bragg's Amino Acids; not a lot of pain, but I was feverish and slept poorly that night. Next morning- whammo! But nothing after that. Very odd.

With luck, if there are any symptoms, they'll be transient and disappear quickly.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

How's he doing this morning?

Mindy

Mom to Max (grey), Buttermilk (grey) and Winston (iggy) and Skinkids, Ally and Ben! In loving memory of Angels Chelsey(Weim), whom we lost on August 26, 2004, Majestic(Chow) on November 20, 2005, on October 5, 2007, we lost Natasha(lab mix), and on May 28, 2009 we lost our greyhound Ike born 7/31/2005 You were too young to go!!!! We lost Monte(Whippet) on September 23, 2009. We miss you all!

Had Beau into the emergency vet this morning. (our vet before office hours). He did not eat anything after 12Pm yesterday. For a dog that's on pred, that is very abnormal.

His right back hock is slightly inflammed. He couldn't walk so we slept in the den with him. We had to carry him out for him to do his business last night.

The lymph is slightly swollen which is causing some concern. He had a FULL set of x-rays from his chest to his toes in March when this same thing happened.

He had not had his pred today so we bit the bullet again and gave him a shot of metacam, something to settle him stomach and started him on 300mg of doxy a day. We did the same thing as last time and I pray that we will have the same results. This happened just under 3 months ago, the week after we lost Polli.

If there is no improvement in 3 days, we will have to x-ray under sedation to see what's going on.

When we got back to the house, I attempted to feed him again and he ate. He also wanted to and did come up the stairs. I had hoped he would want to stay down, but he wants to be where he always is during the day.

So, this is a good thing. I pray he will continue to get better and stay better. He has been through so much.

As far as that idiot who gave him a liver treat, yes it was dumb, but it did not cause this. I didn't think so, it's just such an amazing coincidence.

Robin--just wondering why they didn't give Beau tramadol rather then risk GI upset with a Non-steriodal?? Was it for pain control or to help reduce inflammation?? Hope he's feeling better today.

Yes it was for pain management and reduce inflammation. I have tramadol for him as needed. This worked so well last time, I hope it works this time,