Dylan Had A Mild Stroke

Dylan had a mild stroke 11 days ago. They used an 81mg aspirin to help with the clot and it worked. He had some paralysis on the right side which is now gone. Dr Jennifer Barker from Dairyland track was called (since she knows Dylan so well) and she was the one who recommended the aspirin therapy. She and Dr. Couto use this protocol. He will be on a 1/2 of 81mg aspirin everyday of his life per Dr. Couto. I justed wanted to share this with everyone in case this ever happens to your pup. Dr. Couto also stated he has not seen any relapse with a greyhound on the aspirin therapy!! We are SO greatful to Dr. Barker and Dr. Couto!!

Guest TBSFlame

Dr. Couto talked about this at Mountain Hounds last weekend. I am putting together a health notebook that I am keeping with me in the car. Having greys, we must be the ones to know about the differences between our hounds and other dogs and we must be up-to-date on the latest information. We can't count on the vets we see knowing about the breed. I remember Dr. Couto saying that you treat a greyhound with stoke differently than you would other dogs.

Guest Energy11

I had Curfew on the OSU protocol with the Aspirin, but NOW, the vets here think he has a brain tumor, which we are treating as such. NO positive proof of it, though, without an MRI. I DID use the OSU 81 mg protocol, and had to stop it, of course, with the Prednisone.

I think you are doing the right thing! D

TRUST EVERYTHING Dr. Couto says! I do!

Pearl was on aspirin when she had a stroke.

What's Dylan's BP? Was it checked?

No, his blood pressure was not checked. What mg. of aspirin was Pearl on? Sometimes it is a bleed instead of a clot and in that case, the aspirin isn't the right way to go.

Pearl was on aspirin when she had a stroke.

What's Dylan's BP? Was it checked?

No, his blood pressure was not checked. What mg. of aspirin was Pearl on? Sometimes it is a bleed instead of a clot and in that case, the aspirin isn't the right way to go.

She's on 15 mg to prevent clots to the kidney. (glomerulonephritis caused by an abscessed tooth).

She stroked because of hypertension.

Guest ss556

Alan was on 1/2 baby aspirin once a day for 2.5 yrs. Not b/c of a stroke, but to prevent one since he had high blood pressure. An Internist suggested that and all the meds that Alan was on was checked with Dr. Couto.

Glad to hear that Dylan is doing better and thanks for the advice on the aspirin. I am fairly new to GT and see Dr. Couto's name come up quite a bit. Could someone PM me and tell me who he is (I will probably be embarrassed when you tell me who he is). Thanks.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Just in case you were still wondering about Dr. Cuoto and not to worry, it's what this forum is for...learning about our hounds!

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/1872.htm

Glad to hear that Dylan is doing better and thanks for the advice on the aspirin. I am fairly new to GT and see Dr. Couto's name come up quite a bit. Could someone PM me and tell me who he is (I will probably be embarrassed when you tell me who he is). Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aztecmayamom

Aztec is on a 40 mg aspirin regimen after a big stroke, and has had two very small strokes since. Aspirin won't guarantee that your grey won't have another stroke, but it can help his/her chances.

As a side note, don't assume that your grey will be permanently paralyzed after a stroke...Aztec recovered most of the use of his back legs after three days.

Thanks,

Anne