Has Anyone Dealt With Pancreatitis Lately?

Guest LNeilB2

Guest LNeilB2

Sola has been hit with a case of pancreatitis.

We have been through a plethora of scares over the years. This is a new one for us. I have heard from a number of sources that the usual suspect is a high fat diet or large feeding of high fat foods - especially human food.

Yet we feed California Natural, and healthy treat bars. The dogs don't eat any junk, or table scraps. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and if so, did you make any dietary changes that helped in the long term? We're hoping to spare her another bout of this. I know she's not a Grey, but Nigel wants her around for a long time :wub:

Thanks in advance...

Cody's bout got set off once by eating a Greenie, which apparently are very high in fat & I didn't know that!

Hopefully Sola will recover quickly - pancreatitis is NO fun!

Cody had a food allergy too - both soy & RICE! And that could set her tummy upsets off, especially if someone, meaning well, would give her a Milkbone (which she would, of course, scarf down!), then ask if they could give her something! Um... NO?? USing a digestive enzyme (Prozyme in her case) on her food all the time made a huge difference in her digestive problems!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

My Bubba had a bout of pancreatitis last August. It hit the day after we returned from a 10 day trip away from the dogs - they were boarded with GAA, so I know they were taken good care of. I think it was just the stress of being out of his comfort zone that set him off, possibly combined with getting treats when we got home.

He was at the vet for a few days on fluids, no food and antibiotics, and since his recovery he has actually been in the best health he's been in in ages. No more scraps except for the occasional bagel or strawberry hulls.

He had been on Iams lamb and rice, but I have switched him to Natural Balance Reduced Calorie which has 6% minimum fat, compared to the Iams' 12%. He is doing well for a senior with some other medical issues - he turns 10 next week.

I hope Sola is back to 100% very soon!

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

Guest LNeilB2

I had never heard that about Greenies, I am glad to know - I was thinking about offering those up as treats after someone suggested them.

Yes a high fat high fiber diet will irritate the pancreas. Avery good food is the Dick Van Patten limited ingredient foods. These are good for all dogs and they like the flavors. If you do go this route you can contact DVP and get signed up for their free bag deal.

Food can, but something else, undetermined can also. Shadow had a bout that almost killed him. He recovered and did not have a recurrence and I did not change his diet. He was eating SG Holistique Blendz.

You may want to change to CA Natural, reduced fat. I'd stay away from pig ears, etc.

Sending prayers :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Yes a high fat high fiber diet will irritate the pancreas. Avery good food is the Dick Van Patten limited ingredient foods. These are good for all dogs and they like the flavors. If you do go this route you can contact DVP and get signed up for their free bag deal.

Sorry for the double post

Edited by heartdogs

Guest LNeilB2

Sorry for the double post

No probs, happy to have the info. I was hoping that this was not idiopathic, but we have yet to identify a cause.

Our senior whippet developed a case about 8 months ago. He is raw fed and doesn't much obvious fat or skin or anything like that. We did the chicken and pasta thing (he has other issues and cannot physically eat rice) as well as using Pepcid and Flagyl. Had to go a few rounds with it before he was fine and haven't had a re-occurrence since. He continues to be fed the same way as before.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Poor Sola.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the cause, but I hope she is better soon.

Another food my customers have had success with is the new lamb based Lite from Diamond Naturals.

I hadn't heard about high fiber contributing, but if she disposed of Mr. Stick....

Feel better soon Sola.