Tylan Injection - Small Rant

So we've had capri for about a month and a half and she still has diarhea intermittently. More pudding than liquid but also more pudding than solid. We've given her three doses of Drontil, been migrating her off chicken kibble to a lamb and rice kibble, fed her cooked rice, cooked chicken, pumpkin and yogurt, tried a course of metranizole... nothing so far has made her reliably solid. So we took her to the vet again this morning.

The vet found no worms in her stool, but something that might have looked like eggs and she found some bacteria that could upset her tummy. So she gave us several doses of Panacur and Albon. She also gave Capri a tylan injection and this is what I want to rant about.

Okay, I'm not really mad at the vet. It's too early to tell - it may ultimately help Capri and the vet really didn't do anything wrong. Capri yipped a little at the needle and screamed as the med went in. Which made me cringe but I understand that some meds burn under your skin. i've had quite a few, myself, so I know how it feels. Still... my poor baby. Even though she's very good when being handled, she was cringing so hard the doc had to pull the needle out and find another place to finish the injection. I guess she's a sensitive dog because there wasn't anywhere better. Just finished the injection in her shoulder.

Got her home, and the injection site apparently still itches or burns because she started scratching it and screaming when she scratched. Dave and I tried to stop her from scratching, petted her while holding an ice pack on her shoulder. Poor thing. Panting hard, scratching, crying, can't rest at all for more than a few seconds. It is getting slowly better, an hour later and she's not crying anymore when she scratches. Man, this stuff is nasty. Has anybody here had this experience? Is there a way to soothe a hurting dog that doesn't reward anxious behavior?

So, mental note, (and the doc said she'd make a note in Capri's record about this too), minimize injections as much as possible. My mental note, avoid Tylan!!!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Ouch!

I wouldn't consider this "anxious behavior" in the same sense as, for example, my dog used to shake before we got on the plane to Nantucket. Your dog is reacting to something painful, so I say soothe her all you want!

I hope she feels better soon.

FYI, from what I understand, your dog is MORE inclined, not less, to have loose stools on a lamb-based diet.

Have you considered beef? George was chronically soft until I switched him to Solid Gold's beef forumula.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Poor Capri! Poor Mom and Dad! Not exactly a successful trip to the Vet. No experience with Tylan injections, but I sure hope you can get to the bottom of the pudding poop! Sending healing thoughts :hope for Capri and gentle hugs :grouphug for Mom and Dad.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I rarely offer medical advice but if the injection site is red and itchy perhaps some benedryl might help.

Thanks everyone! Capri is better now (it's been about 5 hours), and so am I. After she stopped crying when she scratched, we just tried to give her quiet time to herself but she was still too sore to rest, so we just went about our business. After a hot bath for me, and a nap for her, we're both better.

We need a smiley face icon for "Whew!"

Yeah, when it hurt to scratch, we debated either putting some benadryl on it or ice pack. I couldn't see exactly where the injection site was, just that she kept scratching that shoulder, so we tried the ice pack. But it's good to know that benadryl would be safe to use also.

We'll keep trying different foods suggested here and the meds that the doc gave us. Just intuitively it doesn't "feel" like a food allergy. But we really don't know WHAT it is, so we're trying everything. I'll let you all know what we finally find to fix it.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest BlackandBrindle

Make sure that any benadryl you give her is just plain benadryl and not the non-drowsy kind.

The generic works just as well too :)

Next time she has to have an injection, ask vet to inject anti-inflammatory/antihistamine first. That is what we do for Zema. Glad your pupper is better now!

Different foods work for different dogs. Sometimes it takes a bit to find the right one. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There have been lots of Tylocine injections here, and the vet always warns that they hurt. Fortunately, my girls have not reacted as badly as Capri; even more fortunately, the injections worked.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest K9_Lady

I don't know about the injection but Amy gets Tylan Powder in her food when she has a problem.

Hope she is better soon.

Ok--as far as the pudding poo----I'm NOT a big fan of the Hills foods but, there is one food that you might want to add to what you are feeding already--try adding W/D. It's a high fiber food that works great for bulking stools. You have to get it from your vet but, honestly it works well. Would I feed it long-term-no but, until you find a food that works for your pupper it's a quick fix! :)