How Do You Get Through It?

hello all,

my heart is with everyone going through a tough time with their greyhound (or any other loved one).

does anyone have any words of advice for losing a dog for the first time? we've had abby for 13 yrs, and i honestly feel like i'm going to come

completely unglued when "it" happens. bringing abby to her favorite spots, getting visits from her favorite people. she's sort of comfortable, but not great.

feels like she's slipping away and that we'll have to help her pretty soon.

much thanks, and happy day to all moms.

2rqyqhd.jpg

You get through it one day at a time. That's the way I've done it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest houndlover

I really don't have any advice but feel the same way that you do. One of my greys is very sick right now and I am feeling completely overwhelmed. Hopefully you will get some great advice from the folks on GT.

You get through it because there are no other good options except to get through it. You do what is best FOR THE DOG, and not yourself. You remember that the kind thing is, sometimes, to let them go. And you get through it because there is always another dog who needs your love. You remember the joy and the love, and not the heartache of loosing them. And like Judy said, you get through it one day at time.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greytloves
You get through it because there are no other good options except to get through it. You do what is best FOR THE DOG, and not yourself. You remember that the kind thing is, sometimes, to let them go. And you get through it because there is always another dog who needs your love. You remember the joy and the love, and not the heartache of loosing them. And like Judy said, you get through it one day at time.

Very wise words. (of course coming from George's mom) :rolleyes:

I tell everyone that adopts from me to hug them and love them daily. Why? You just never know what life may throw your way.

Guest Energy11

Yes, you just get through it day by day, and tell them you love them, whisper it in their ears, stroke their lovely heads ... Just love them sooooooooo much when they are here.

I have lost three, and Curfew (brain tumor) will probably be next. I can't think ahead too much, or I feel sick!

FOR ME, when Energy died, I adopted My Curfew THE next day! THAT helped me a lot, and it helped Curfew, because he was a spook and no on wanted him. HE IS THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!

Good luck and keep us informed! Love to you and Abby! DEE :inlove

This is a good question and a good time to pose it to yourself -- and myself. We've been struggling with keeping one of our dogs going. We know we'll lost him eventually...if not sooner. In reading people's Remembrance posts, I've wondered how they do it, get them written. I expect to be flattened when the time comes. So I found myself composing my dog's Remembrance post in my head. Hopefully, I'll actually get it written well ahead of time, all the wonderful things about him, while I'm not flattened. Then when he's gone, I'll be able to read it myself and take comfort it. Maybe that would be something you could do too?

:bighug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest greytloves
This is a good question and a good time to pose it to yourself -- and myself. We've been struggling with keeping one of our dogs going. We know we'll lost him eventually...if not sooner. In reading people's Remembrance posts, I've wondered how they do it, get them written. I expect to be flattened when the time comes. So I found myself composing my dog's Remembrance post in my head. Hopefully, I'll actually get it written well ahead of time, all the wonderful things about him, while I'm not flattened. Then when he's gone, I'll be able to read it myself and take comfort it. Maybe that would be something you could do too?

:bighug

Very good idea. In fact, yesterday was my cousins funeral. She had cancer and had been on Hospice. We knew she was dying. Before she became unable to communicate, the whole family wrote things about her and pictures and gathered with her and shared those things. I know it meant so much to her.

Guest Energy11

Yes, writing something while they are still here, does help. I wrote my dying husband's eulogy when he was still with me ... during the last week or so. It helped me a lot, becasue I was NUMB for weeks after he died. Even though he had Hospice for his cancer, I did MOST of his care, because of my training ... Had I not made all his arrangements prior to his passing, I MIGHT not have been able.

Guest EmilyAnne

My dog has cancer too. He is 14 and I have had him since he was a baby. I have to discipline myself NOT to dwell on the fact that he may be dying. I suppress the pain for now, and try to stay above it, for the sake of Riley. Riley doesn't know like I do what is going on, and I dont believe he fears his death like I fear his death, and if I let myself get too sad, it will hurt Riley, and make him very sad too, because Riley is very in tune to my feelings and always observing of how I am doing. I want his last days to be as happy as possible. Sometimes it gets too hard, and I do need to go have a good cry, then I pray for God to help me get a grip. Then life goes on, and we continue to enjoy what time we have left.

There's that place, in between the pain, and the place where I am staying strong and above it, and that in between place is where I go when I need to stop and think about the treatment plan. The good cry comes after that. Then like I said, pray for strength, and go on...

I am also very careful who I confide to. Some people who dont understand, say horribly stupid and insensitive things, which you and me do not need right now.

:grouphug

Guest Flysmom

Babysteps! You take Babysteps.

When we had to let Kira go in January I was pretty down and cried and cried, even though I knew that we made the right choice to let her go. I kept going because I still had my children, my husband, the PTO and Fly and Jack. Then Fly got sick and all my energy went towards him and caring for him. I had to let Fly go in March and went downhill. Nothing kept me going for the first few weeks. I was on Autopilot and lost weight. I realized that me being miserable and unhappy would not bring Fly back and I started with babysteps (doing more PTO things, taking Jack for walks, Baseball with the boys) to dig myself out of the dump. It also helped me to adopt another Hound, Cisco came home last Saturday and I am happier and more relaxed.

I still miss my Fly and I still sleep with his sock and bandana, I still cry for Fly and Kira, I still cannot look at their pictures without loosing it, but time helps and the famous babyysteps!

Guest EmilyAnne

And something else I do to stay above the pain, I go through threads in the cute & funny section.

Here's a few...

Ah Give Myself A Good Wash! **Warning, not for the squeemish**"

"Help! I Need A Dog Wid A Collar Rite Now! I habz a confezzion to make..."

"The Adventures Of Crocheted Winslow"

"GSCI: Greyhound Crime Scene Investigators..."

And many, many, many more.

Laughter is very therapeutic in hard times!

Guest IrskasMom

I stll go to Pieces when I look at a Picture or talk about my Irska and that after 3.5 Years. One Month after he died , we

adopted Morty and he healed my broken Heart , but the good Memories of Irska will always be there.

A Good Friend of mine has a 15 Year old Dog ( Non Grey ). She cookes for Penny every Day Roastbeef . That's all she will

eat. The Time is very near. When I visited her today , we both sat there and cried . One Day at the time will help you to get

through it. :):):)

Guest Energy11
And I think many of us take it 5 min at a time and then maybe 10min

Yes, ... sometimes, a few minutes here, few there.

I don't want Curfew to feel MY anxiety. We try to treat him like the others. He drinks and pees a lot from the Pred, and his now eating two big, and two smaller, meals a day to keep weight on him. His nights are bad. He pants a lot. HE LOVES cold water and ice chips ... I think he might be spiking fevers at night. I KNOW he is dying, but can't think about it ...

Anyway, we all have our own coping mechanisms, and SOMEHOW, we manage. Do we ever get THROUGH IT? No ... I never have totally. D

Guest EmilyAnne
My dog has cancer too. He is 14 and I have had him since he was a baby. I have to discipline myself NOT to dwell on the fact that he may be dying. I suppress the pain for now, and try to stay above it, for the sake of Riley. Riley doesn't know like I do what is going on, and I dont believe he fears his death like I fear his death, and if I let myself get too sad, it will hurt Riley, and make him very sad too, because Riley is very in tune to my feelings and always observing of how I am doing. I want his last days to be as happy as possible. Sometimes it gets too hard, and I do need to go have a good cry, then I pray for God to help me get a grip. Then life goes on, and we continue to enjoy what time we have left.

There's that place, in between the pain, and the place where I am staying strong and above it, and that in between place is where I go when I need to stop and think about the treatment plan. The good cry comes after that. Then like I said, pray for strength, and go on...

I am also very careful who I confide to. Some people who dont understand, say horribly stupid and insensitive things, which you and me do not need right now.

:grouphug

I wish I could edit! But since I cant, I want to add to the bolded part , that I do go have that good cry. There is something therapeutic about just letting it out from time to time. But afterwards, I do focus on getting back to where I need to be for Riley.

Also, I would like to add in where I said I am careful who I confide to, that GT is one place you can let it all hang out and you do not have to worry about someone saying something insensitive or stupid here like you do with people who think differently. Here at GT, we truly understand. :bighug

Guest gnevins

Yes, one minute or day at a time... We lost a dog 5 years ago and it was at the time the hardest thing I had ever been through(except for my father's passing). I would almost hyperventelate (sp?) when I would think about.

One week later we brought a puppy home...the best thing I could have done!!!!

I will never forget our sweet Belle, but Brownie took my attention and love and is a wonderfully loving dog!!!

Unfortunately our daughter (who is actually Brownie's owner) took her away from us when she got married. Which is where she should be. My heart broke again...but at least I can see her from time to time(she is 5 hours away)!

Which brought us to the world of greyhounds!!!! I have always admired these beautiful dogs!!!

And now our hearts have been stolen by our handsome Starbucks!!!! He is our first greyhound and first male!!! It is a learning curve for both him and us. But I have become sooooo attached to him!!!!!

I guess the short of it is we will never forget our sweet babies...and as hard as it is...there is always another one that needs our love and attention and needs the happiness of a home!!!!!

My heart is with you and your family!!

I wish I could have had this wonderful support system...but I have it now...we all have it!!!! :grouphug:bighug:beatheart

What are the options? One day at a time. If that doesn't work, One hour or minute if necessary.

We are all here for you.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest CDNgreys

I lost my very 1st dog to cancer 18 years ago and sometimes I still cry over her. I'm sad she's gone but more importantly I'm glad she was in my life to have tears for.

Cherish the special moments and hold your memories close.

You get through it because you do what is best for the dog that you love and have promised to good care of. :grouphug

I have had to make that decision for 4 greyhounds and I wish I had made it 1 day sooner then I did. I have promised the 3 greyhounds that remain that I will, if at all possible, not wait that 1 more day.

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest 4baddogs

Yep- what everyone here has already said.

Losing my first one was the worst day of my life. I've lost 2 more since then and I have one that will be 15 in August, God willing, who is pretty sick. She's my second heartbeat and I know a piece of me will die when she does, but I'm more prepared for it this time. That's not to say it will be easier, but I'm ready for it, I think.

Greytalk is the best place for you to be when the time comes.

((hugs))

Guest PhillyPups

There are many of us here that have walked that journey and will walk by your side through it. I don't know if we ever get totally through it. I still have many moments, and I lost Runner over 6 years ago. I do all I do with the hounds in his honor. I miss all my angels, they have all left a pawprint in my heart. Given the choice of them having pain from their infirmities or me having pain from their loss, I take their pain and let them be pain free. Does not mean it is easy, it is the hardest decision I ever have to make, and I have had to make it too many times, in a little over a year I lost three, abd thank DoG my friends here have carried me through it. :bighug to you!!

You get through it because there are no other good options except to get through it. You do what is best FOR THE DOG, and not yourself. You remember that the kind thing is, sometimes, to let them go. And you get through it because there is always another dog who needs your love. You remember the joy and the love, and not the heartache of losing them. And like Judy said, you get through it one day at time.

Very well put. You know that you can, and will, fall apart after. What will remain after that is the joy of having had them in your life, the lessons you learned with them, and the bittersweet feeling of them not being there physically anymore.