Dental Vaccines

Guest andrealynch

Guest andrealynch

When I took my pupper in for his dental and to get some teeth pulled this week, the vet told me that they could give Bacardi a Dental Vaccine shot that day, then a follow up in 3 weeks with a booster, and then one every year for the rest of his life--and this would keep the tartar and bacteria from building up as much--especially since he is a "grey."

I opted to go ahead and try the vaccine--especially since it wasn't too terribly expensive.

However, does anyone have any experience using these? Did they work, or not? Pros, cons? Heard anything bad about them?

Thanks for any feedback!

Andrea & Drinking Bacardi :rollin

Guest greybookends

I have heard to many reports of BAD side effects.

PM macoduck.

Edited by greybookends

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo has horrible dental disease. He got the shot for the first time about 3 years ago when it was first available. We went from 6 months between dentals to 13 months between dentals. We moved and the new vet didn't want to give it to him. It was 5 months before we needed his next dental. She gave it to him at his last dental. I can already tell the difference in his gums 2 months later. He has not had any side effects to my knowledge. I am definitely a believer. My other two have not gotten it but their teeth and gums are in much better shape.

Guest SusanP

This is the first I'm hearing about this! Can we get more specifics on side-effects, or at least the name of the vaccine so we can google it? It's probably too late for my elderly hounds, but...

If you google "canine dental vaccine", everything you want to know pops up.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Energy11

WOW .... ! I NEVER heard of it either, and I worked for a vet for four years! Must be new. I will google it.. Thanks!

Guest BiancasMom

I have heard of this but have not heard of any side effects. It was originally marketed for small breed dogs since they notoriously have nasty mouths and are more common as pets (at least in my area). When I first adopted Bianca in September 2008, I asked my vet about it but they did not carry it and I did not pursue it any further. It is great that it is working for some of you! I brush Bianca's teeth every day but any other way to encourage dental health is great! Do any of you use C.E.T. Dental Chews? I was worried because they are rawhide although the concept seems good.

A number of folks have reported unusual strong side-effects with this vaccine. I suspect- but have no proof- that the vaccine has a large slug of adjuvants that goes with the proteins that are injected to sensitize the animal to the bacteria it must combat in the mouth. Unfortunately, this leads to an increased incidence of side-effects.

Moreover, if this is the case (high concentration of adjuvants), it theoretically increases the risk of autoimmune diseases further down the line. The adjuvants added to these vaccines aren't specific to the injected proteins; they may also cause the body to be sensitized to its own proteins.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greytbookert

My vet won't use it (at least for us). He is not convinced that the benefits out weigh the risks, at this point. It appears to be pretty new (maybe last 3 years, not sure). He was at a vet conference in FLA when it was released and was impressed at first, but something changed his mind.

We are not one to try new vaccines, though. We basically only give rabies, and titer for the others.

Guest andrealynch

Wow Everyone! Thanks for all of your help. I will certainly google the topic and see what comes up. I am worried about side effects, especially with a senior (9 years old). Thanks!

No thanks.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My vets won't use it. They treat a large number of GHs

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MySkye

Both of my "grey savvy" vets won't go for that option.

Good luck with what ever choice you make for your own family.

Warmly,

Guest FordRacingRon

My vet has tried to get me to give this to Leia for almost 2 yearas and my answer is still the same,,,no. I know I researched it back when and there was a really high number of dogs that got sick was enough to say no.