New Greyhound

Guest Oakleylove

Guest Oakleylove

I just got my Grey on Tuesday. She seems to be adjusting pretty well, except she sleeps and lounges ALL THE TIME. I know they can be lazy dogs, but I didn't think this lazy!! I also can't get her to eat much. I realize she is still getting adjusted, but I guess I'm just worrying too much. Otherwise, her tail is always wagging and she loves to give kisses!! I guess I just want to know if this is normal?

Guest Jennifer4719

Sounds very normal to me. When I adopted Xena, she was very distant, slept all the time and never sought out attention from us. It took about 6 months for her personality to really start to come out. I have had her for 4 years now and she is a totally different dog. So, don't worry, your grey is just getting used to you and her new surroundings.

and by the way, Welcome!

:) Sounds normal to me. My three feel its most appropriate to take a nap after going out in the morning. Sleeping all night, you know, can be very exhausting. Lunchtime zoomies in the backyard also result in an extended nap in the afternoon with the occasional stuffie toss/tear up. Supper can be very taxing for the hounds so a long evening rests on the couch in front of the TV is their time to recuperate from dinner and a good catch up rest before the overwhelmingly tiring chore of sleeping all night.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest Oakleylove

Ahh..yes, I wish I could live that kind of life.

Oh, and another thing, she does NOT like the backyard. She won't even go out there if I open the door, and she def. won't use the bathroom out there. But low and behold, as soon as i put her leash on and go for a walk, the first thing she does is use the bathroom!

Edited by Oakleylove

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new addition! For backyard issues, maybe you could leash her and walk her around the yard so she can check it out with you! My first grey came in the house and said hello. That caused him to need a nap and he has been sleeping ever since! We have had him for 4.5 years now. He is almost 9. Our 3rd, is 2 years old and still thinks he is a puppy. Tons more energy there! Makes the house "interesting." Would love to see a picture of your sweetie!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest nerak254
Ahh..yes, I wish I could live that kind of life.

Oh, and another thing, she does NOT like the backyard. She won't even go out there if I open the door, and she def. won't use the bathroom out there. But low and behold, as soon as i put her leash on and go for a walk, the first thing she does is use the bathroom!

You may need to go out there with her and hang out for a bit unitl she goes. Having a couple of other hounds over for a playdate might help too.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Hi and Welcome! Congratulations on your new Greyhound! What is her name? She sounds totally normal to me. How much are you feeding her? Once she settles in she will eat more and on a regular basis. She sounds happy and adjusted right now though.

Guest fatesrelease

So far Sarah is the laziest dog ever. I take her out to run with greyhound friends and she just lays in the grass the entire time :P

It's normal.

Sounds totally normal with the added bonus of it sounds like she is eating, peeing and pooping!!

Many dogs when first adopted, don't eat, pee and or poop!

So, it sounds like things are wonderful.

There is a reason they are called 45mph couch potatos!!!

Try walkies, they love to do that and it's a greyt way to bond!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Welcome and congratulations on your new family member. She sounds normal to me - everyone seems to think they are hyper dogs since they raced. I tell them that is SO not the case. You might try adding a little doggy gravy to her food.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest koolaidnconner

Very normal. Eating breakfast, lunch or dinner is a huge energy drainer for these dogs....lol...oh and going out to do thier business and doing some zoomies complete energy drainer.......

Guest widowcali

When I first got Widow I would go over to her and hold my hand out in front of her nose to make sure she was breathing. I'm not kidding, I really would.

She has gotten a little bit more active, but will always be my mellow lazy girl. Cali is my puppy. She has these manic moments, that don't last long, and then has to rest for a few hours.

Whenever we go to one of the gatherings, walking around for an hour means they need to go back to the hotel and sleep for 3.

Guest momofevie
:) Sounds normal to me. My three feel its most appropriate to take a nap after going out in the morning. Sleeping all night, you know, can be very exhausting. Lunchtime zoomies in the backyard also result in an extended nap in the afternoon with the occasional stuffie toss/tear up. Supper can be very taxing for the hounds so a long evening rests on the couch in front of the TV is their time to recuperate from dinner and a good catch up rest before the overwhelmingly tiring chore of sleeping all night.

L.

:lol Sounds about right to my Evie!

Re: the bathroom in the yard...I've had Evie for 3 years, and she has NEVER gone #2 in our yard. :dunno

And like someone else mentioned, try adding something enticing to her food (doggy gravy, tuna, even a little warm water).

Nothing much to add about the laziness -- my girl is quite active outside on walks and excursions to the dog park or a fenced area I call the "zoom zoom room," but the same as the others inside (except sometimes in the late afternoon when she's getting eager to go out and will do some stuffie-pouncing). But I wanted to add a welcome to GT -- and note that I'm sure everyone is eager to hear more about your new grey, and to see pictures!

For the food, my dog also gets excited about a couple of spoons of plain yogurt or cottage cheese.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Perfectly normal. Greyhounds usually rest up before they take a nap.

As far as eating, some are chowhounds (I have two magicians....they make food disappear) and the other two........well, let's say it's a challenge to keep giving Pearl all her meds.

But it does take a little while for the personality to really come thru. And when it does.........WOW!

Guest houndstooth4

I love her name! I agree, she sounds pretty darned normal to me! Some greys take a little while to come out of their shells. Give her a little more time. Maybe she just likes to have her own yard be clean!

:welcome

Totally normal - also, she's in a new environment, so she will probably need to sleep more as the excitement/novelty of her new environment is bound to tire her out.

CONGRATS!!! :clap:yay

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.