Advice For A Grey With A Brain Tumor

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

Hello Everyone!

Even though I have five greyhounds, and at one time, seven, this is my first time on Greytalk. A lot of you might know me. Dee McKimmey (have done first aid at Sandy Paws and Mt. Hounds), and used to be with GPA Senior Sanctuary of Florida. We now live in the North Ga Mountain.

I need advice and suggestions from anyone who has had a grey with a brain tumor. My Curfew, only 7, had "an incident" last Sept. The vets here called it a stroke. About four weeks ago, Cufew started having what I think were, either small seizures or mini-strokes. I am a retired Paramedic. I took him to the vet here. We did all the bloodwork, EKGs, etc., (all normal) and Dr. Karen told me she thinks he has a brain tumor. Unfortunately, the ONLY way to dignose this is with an MRI, which we CANNOT afford. :-(

Curfew is on Phenobaritol twice a day for seizure control, and Valium as needed for anxiety. The vets want me to start him on Prednisone for brain swelling, which I will do tomorrow (Monday). NIGHTS are the worst for Curfew! He whines and barks, but doesn't know what he needs. Last night, we had to "lure" him outside with kibble, for him to pee and poop. He also is very restless (again, mostly at night),... panting, drooling, etc. Valium helps this. He seems to be VERY confused. I am pretty SURE it is due to the brain swelling.

He is eating (Boy, is he), as Valium and Phenobarb cause an increas in appetite. He seems happy and "normal" sometimes, but definitely is getting worse. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE has gone through this before, and can share some of the things they did to help their greys, and finally, when they decided it was "time" to send them to The Bridge.

The day after my Bold Energy died, we adopted Curfew! I am closest to him, so close, I have even called him by my human son's name! Any advice, input or help from any of you, will be deeply appreciated! Prayers too!

Hugs and thanks! DEE

Guest Energy11
I only have prayers for your sweet boy Curfew. Good luck! :grouphug

Thank you!

He is wearing a cross and a St. Francis medal in his little tag bag :-)

You know, even being a "medical person," and retired Paramedic, I am a mess! Love and hugs! DEE

I'm going through it with Misty, and believe me, being a "medical person" as you say, hasn't helped a bit. It may help a little with knowing what's going on medically, but emotionally, NOT!!

Lots of prayers from here

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11
I'm going through it with Misty, and believe me, being a "medical person" as you say, hasn't helped a bit. It may help a little with knowing what's going on medically, but emotionally, NOT!!

Hello!

What have Misty's symptoms been? What meds is she taking, and how are things going? ANYTHING you can tell me, might help. Curfew is SOOOO confused! Sometimes, he pants and his tongue "lolls" out of his mouth. How long has Misty had symptoms, etc. I could use ANY advice you can give me.

I will keep you and Misty in my thoughts!. Hugs! DEE

We lost our Emmy to a brain tumor. Unfortunately hers was wrapped around her optic nerve and cause her to lose her sight. She then developed Cushings. She also quit eating and lost the ability to chew so all of her meals were fixed in the blender. We had to let her go the day she started having grand mal seizures. She was not a happy girl any more and would just lay on her bed and we knew it was time to let her go. We battled the disease for 3 months and I have to admit it was a very long, stressful three months.

I'm so sorry for the both of you and will keep you in my prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hello!

What have Misty's symptoms been? What meds is she taking, and how are things going? ANYTHING you can tell me, might help. Curfew is SOOOO confused! Sometimes, he pants and his tongue "lolls" out of his mouth. How long has Misty had symptoms, etc. I could use ANY advice you can give me.

I will keep you and Misty in my thoughts!. Hugs! DEE

Misty has Cushings, and it's pituitary dependent(brain) so I would imagine the meds are different. She was dx last October and it is only now that I'm seeing the confusion and lately she's been shivering quite a bit.

So I don't think this experience will help you much, I'm sorry. But like you, we're at the stage of watching her close trying to decide when enough is enough. So this part of the journey I share with you.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest VelvetEars

Just about 2 years ago, my Jane had a stroke. I ended up taking her to the vet school at Mizzou for a week, where we did the MRI, ultrasounds, etc. (I'm still paying it off.) They did see something in her brain, but couldn't ID it. Her BP was high, she couldn't walk, she had some blindness. I brought her home, and we treated her with hydralazine, pred, and antibiotics. All of that seemed to help. I taught her to walk again. She recovered fairly well. What got her in the end was a bowel obstruction - Xrays showed a tumor behind her stomach that hadn't been there during the Mizzou tests 8 months earlier.

Depending on what's in his head, I would say treat with what you feel comfortable treating with. Anti-anxiety meds, maybe (tramadol)? Pred is always good (could your vet call it in to your regular pharmacy? It's cheap.) Can you check his BP somehow, too? That seems to be related to stroke as well, and hydralazine definitely helped Jane. If I missed a dose, I could tell.

What I told Jane was as long as she was willing to fight, I was willing to keep trying. But I also knew that if she took a turn for the worse after the improvement - and the bad days outnumbered the good - then it was time to let her go. I just can't stand to see them suffer.

I'm not sure how helpful it would be, but the writings of Ben Williams, who has used some... unconventional methods to survive glioblastoma multiforme longer than anyone else ever has may be of interest.

http://virtualtrials.com/pdf/williams2008.pdf

Little things- like vitamin D and broccoli sprouts- can help.

Good luck.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

One other thing to try, come to think of it: ketosis. Astrocytomas have managed successfully by putting the patient into ketosis; this is harder in the dog than in humans, but dietetically it's much easier: feed raw meat and bones. It is well-tolerated in the canine; in fact, two of our hounds are fed nothing but raw meat and bones- strict predator diet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greytful4

Oh I'm so terribly sorry, I have no advice or experience with other than going trhough a scary experience myself with my girl. Hugs to your boy and to you. Please keep us posted.

Don't beat yourself up about the MRI. It might tell you something academically interesting, but it wouldn't change treatment. Hopefully pupper can be stabilized on meds so that the side effects will diminish and the two of you will enjoy many happy months together.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CARING REPLIES AND PRAYERS FOR CURFEW AND I!!!

IF ANY OF YOU USE CARE CREDIT FOR YOUR PUPPERS, BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAD THE CARD FOR VETERINARY CARE, PAID IT ON TIME, AND WAYYY MORE THAN THE MINIUM, AND THEY CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT! THE REASON BEING ... my house in Florida was foreclosed on!!! I TRIED TO SELL IT, AND NO ONE WANTED IT!

CARE CREDIT/GE MONEY BANK ARE NOT NICE PEOPLE! Luckily, my new vet here, Dr. Karen, has offered to extend "house credit," to me! She just called, and it made me cry! Hugs to you all! Dee

No experience with brain tumors, but lots of experience praying for sick pups and their families. Sending powerful prayers for Curfew and you, too! :hope:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead