I Knew It Was Coming, Wasn't Fast Enough

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry just had a Grand-Mal. He had made it 2 months 2 weeks this time. Last time he made it just a day shy of four months. I kinda knew it was coming. Stress is a big trigger, and I know he has been feeling our stress with Riley's cancer and my husband was ill. Before the seizure, he jumped onto our bed, started crying very loud, and shivering really hard. Me and my husband both bolted upright in bed, and my husband immediately turned off the TV and shut my laptop and I ran for the valium and ice pack. I did the valium about 30 seconds before the seizure started, I wasn't fast enough to stop it in time. But, it was a milder one (for Henry anyways) and the ice pack worked wonders this time. Still a heck of a lot better than where he used to be, which was every 8 days.

My vet is OUT OF TOWN until Monday. :unsure Please, please, let this be all there is to it. Usually it is, but just dont let us have bad timing tonight. :hope I do not like the local emergency vet.

Henry is slowly pacing through the bedroom, lightly bumping into things and panting. Heat is off, and window is open. This is the norm after his seizures. His vision never works right after a Grand-Mal. My vet has a theory that is the brain's way of protecting itself from too much stimulation after a seizure. His vision will come back as he recovers.

Henry hasn't had a cluster since being on meds in October, so I'm thinking it's not likely to be a cluster, but prayers would be much appreciated anyways.

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest Vinnie

Putting in our thoughts and prayers and hoping that he can settle back into a restful night with no more seizures. He must have been so worried about your dh and Riley - I know that picture you posted earlier spoke volumes. Hope all of you are doing better very soon. Hugs and scritches.

Guest EmilyAnne

It's been an hour, and already his vision is back. While the valium didnt stop it in time, I do believe it helped. He is as calm as can be.

This all makes me think of what I said in another thread, that while there may be things that can trigger epilepsy, I dont think true epilepsy is based on triggers alone. For example, for a non epileptic dog, they can go through tremendous stress, but the stress will not trigger a seizure. But for a dog with true epilepsy, it can trigger a seizure. Hard to explain what I mean, especially at 1:50 am, so I hope I make sense.

G'night everyone. :grouphug

Edited by EmilyAnne

How is Henry doing today? I'll add my prayers and good wishes that he is feeling better and no more seizures.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Oh, Henry is such a sensitive soul! It's no wonder he had a seizure - it's written all over that photo of him worrying about Riley! How is Henry this morning? Praying that this is just an isolated incident.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Drat. Hope you are all feeling better this morning. Give Henry and Riley some hugs for me, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest snakes

Always frustrating and scary. Glad to hear he's doing better! Your run of 2mo and 2wks is good though (Wella t least by our seizure schedule!!).

You guys sound like you are a well oiled machine with the seizures, i am sure Henry appreciates it :)

Guest EmbersDad

:candle :candle :candle :candle

for henry

hang in there big guy, and feel better soon. the dead are playing the spectrum one last time in may and i will have soundboards with your name on it, u can count on it.

Guest 5hounds

I am glad Henry is feeling better today. It will be four weeks since Dooley’s last seizure. We are still working on getting the correct medicine that will work for him. Thank you again for all your help. Give Henry some hugs from us.

Guest EmilyAnne
:candle :candle :candle :candle

for henry

hang in there big guy, and feel better soon. the dead are playing the spectrum one last time in may and i will have soundboards with your name on it, u can count on it.

Me and Henry enjoy those CD's you sent us tremendously. Not a day goes by around here that we don't play at least one of the CD's. Before you I had hardly heard of Grateful Dead. They are my favorite band now, you've turned us into Deadheads. :lol

Henry continues to do just fine. We went on our walk and it was if nothing happened. It's amazing how one minute they are having such a dramatic seizure, and a few hours later, it's like nothing happened!

:grouphug Just now seeing this.....I'm glad this one was over quicker than usual. It's good that you had the valium on hand.....I've heard that stuff is heaven sent.

Phaelin has gone 4 months now without seizures and I never could figure out what caused them. There really didn't seem to be anything that I could figure out (and I've had quite a few people suggest quite a few things). The only correlation I could see was time......his happened every 14-16 days.

I hope your stress level will be going down soon so you won't have to worry so much about Henry (and everything else!)

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

How is he today?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmilyAnne
How is he today?

I have a small headache, and Riley is recovering from anesthesia, so everyone is tiptoeing around the house. Henry is laying on his bed, with his head up, and wondering why everyone is being so darn quiet. :lol He enjoyed a day of being pet by several people at MSU while Riley was getting his biopsy.