Steroid Injections At The Track

Guest tumeria33

Guest tumeria33

We adopted Isis about 9 weeks ago from the race track at Seabrook, NH. Two weeks after we adopted her, she had an issue with diarreah (now resolved). I was cleaning her butt when I noticed a red little "button" in her private area. This looked strange to me and I wondered what it was and if I should be concerned. After doing some research, I discovered that it was clitoral enlargement due to steroids given at the track to prevent females from going into heat. I was wondering if any of you know if this will affect her health in the long term? She is only 2 1/2 and only raced the summer of 2008. I know steroids can cause damage to humans, especially females. Any thoughts? Thanks

Rainey came to us with the same thing....she was our first female so I didn't know if that's how it was supposed to look :blush: :dunno

I think it actually is enlarged, but hasn't caused any issues. She does have spay incontinence (takes DES every 5 days) but I don't think? that's related to the enlarged vulva.....

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Same situation with Misty. She also has skin folds in that area so it's the prime spot for bacteria to collect. I need to keep the area clean and wipe her after she pees, It has also caused to her to be prone to UTI's because of the licking.

I just do my best to keep her clean in the area and I also use Desitin creamy to keep away any irritation.

Lots of people had the vulvaplasty done with great success

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

The steroid goes out of their system pretty quickly. It's sort of like birth control. There are many, many girls living to healthy old age who received the homones when they were racing. Isis will be fine.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Gracie's girlie parts were large when we got her, but within a few months were back to normal size.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Be patient--should go down in a few months :rolleyes:

I'm curious about your response. Personally, I know nothing about racing or the hormones/steroids given at the track. But after speaking to a couple of racing owners I have a great deal of respect for I know that Misty's condition was caused by too much given at the track.

My question to you is why does it sometimes "go down" as you say, and sometimes it does not?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Not all females will have enlarged clitorises. Some are more sensitive to the testosterone then others.

Just like female women that we have to regulate the type of birth control we use. What lvls and products work for one can cause issues with others.

For the majority of females who do have the enlarged clitoris they do tend to go back to normal size after a few months being off the hormones. Yes there are some that never will.

Hey KennelMom, how about getting a photo of that for us :D I know that one of Heather's girls has that issue as I gave her the heads up about it since all vets do not always know about this and some want to take a "sample" OUCH, NO NO!!!

Guest KennelMom
Hey KennelMom, how about getting a photo of that for us :D I know that one of Heather's girls has that issue as I gave her the heads up about it since all vets do not always know about this and some want to take a "sample" OUCH, NO NO!!!

I'm not sure, but I think there are laws about taking those kind of pictures in this state :P:lol

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'm not sure, but I think there are laws about taking those kind of pictures in this state :P:lol

:rofl :rofl :P

Guest RocketDog

Cassie doesn't really have clitoral hypertrophy, but she is prone to irritation because the little skin fold OVER her girlie-bits is too tight, if that makes sense. Babywipes and desitin keep things under control for the most part, although if she's ever put under for a dental or something else we'll probably have them do the vulvaplasty.

Can I ask a question? :D I noticed when we first got Rainy that her nipples looked larger than a dog who has never had puppies. Could the steroids/hormones have caused this? Or did she maybe have an ops litter that wasn't documented?

------

Jessica

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
Can I ask a question? :D I noticed when we first got Rainy that her nipples looked larger than a dog who has never had puppies. Could the steroids/hormones have caused this? Or did she maybe have an ops litter that wasn't documented?

More then likely what happened is your girl came in season, even being on the hormones they still can come in season.

When they come into season some will then also go into milk. Most of the times they go back down when they come out of season.

Are her nipples back to normal now??