Dark Earwax Deep In One Ear...

Major's been shaking his head for a couple of days and I noticed some dark ear wax deep in his ear. (He usually doesn't have an ear wax problem and it's usually really light in color) Anyhoo, I've irritated the outer ear trying to look down there with a flashlight and holding his ear open with my fingers also by trying to remove it with my finger.. I know.. bad choice.. but I was able to remove some of it but there is more way down deep.

Anybody know of any over the counter products to remove ear wax that is deep in the ear? Would rather try something over the counter before taking him to the vet, if it doesn't clear up by this weekend or if it gets worse I'll take him to the vet, but would rather try another remedy first.

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

The product that has always worked best for my dogs is 'VET Solutions' (http://www.healthypets.com/vetsoearclso.html). As a bonus, it doesn't stink as bad as some f the other products.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Thanks for the tip. Do they sell it in pet stores or do you buy it online?

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest Cris_M

You can use an OTC human ear wax remover.

You put the drops in and gently rub the ear to make sure they get down. Then, stand back. Major is going to do a major shake.

It can take several days for the ear wax to soften enough to come out.

If you have a close relationship with your vet, I'd call and ask about the yeast infection.

Guest mtnbluebird

Folsom has really crinkly ears and one ear gets earwax buildup more than the other. I find it's easier to do it during the day with the sun shining in the window. I'll call the dog over, and look at his ear with the sun shining on it / through it to get a good look at where the wax is. Then I use a "wet wipe" and my finger. If the wax is just in a fold and not in the actual ear canal and hard to reach then I carefully use a moist Q-tip. But Folsom is very well behaved and doesn't shake or anything, he holds his head very still for me.

This is a tip that has helped us with ear-cleaning:

*Do this outside*

Soak cotton balls with the solution

Pop them into ears and hold flaps closed

Massage for a bit

Let go and run away!

My dog HATES having the solution squirted in, but enjoys this process. And it's kind of entertaining for us too.

MAKE SURE your dog doesn't have ear mites though--that would produce dark, grainy buildup. And you'd want the vet to check that out for sure. It can be really painful and hard to battle without the right stuff.

"Mrs. Bass was a poor teacher, a phrase which here does not mean "a teacher who doesn't have a lot of money" but "a teacher who is obsessed with the metric system." --Lemony Snicket

"Do you want to convert from the hydrocarbon economy to the carbohydrate economy?" --Rep. Jim Oberstar

Guest greytexplorer

Can you take him to the vet riteawayqwik for a professional ear cleaning, then maintain with NHNora's suggestion?

My kitty had a chigger in his ear and the vet was able to get it out. Gosh, I felt like a terrible mommy..... :(

Thanks for the tip. Do they sell it in pet stores or do you buy it online?

My vet sells it as an OTC product, otherwise I've only ever seen it at a small boutique pet store (that has since closed) and online.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

My current favourite is MalAcetic Otic from DemaPet. I get it at the vet but you can probably get it on-line in the US.

It smells a bit like vinegar, and daily ear cleaning for a week or so when there is an issue, then weekly maintenance, has kept Arlie's problem ear under control.

Does his ear have an odor? Might need a vet visit if so.

Nope no odor :dunno He doesn't act like it bother's him (i.e. he doesn't scratch his hear) I thinkhe just wants it out!!

Went to the pet store today and bought the Conquer Hy-Otic brand Ear Rinse. Getting ready to give it a try, wish me luck :)

Well.. that went better than I thought :colgate Somebody said put the cotton ball in his ear afterwards, Thumbs up on that suggestion :lol otherwise I'd need a bath :lol He gave me the ol' stink eye for a few seconds but then I gave him a treat and all is good in the world again :lol Let's see if he still loves me when I do it again in a few hours :unsure

You want him to shake the goo out, tho. Do it outside :) . With cookies :) :) :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yep, we went outside and he gave his head a few good shakes :) He's zonked out in his favorite chair right now. I'm working from home tomorrow so might wait until morning to do it again.

Guest LindsaySF

Most pet store ear cleaners work well. Squirt tons of it deep into the ear and massage, then let them shake their head as much as they want. Good luck.

Thanks :) So far so good.. did it again this afternoon and a big clomp of wax came out. There is still a little bit down in there but I think the worst is behind him :)*whew*

Guest Giselle

Just a tip: I've seen a lot of foxtails in dog ears and it always leads to dark, irritating build-up in the canal. Just to be safe, I would ask a vet or available technician to take a quick look and see if there's any obstruction :)

If not, squirt, massage, and run!

Guest dragongreys

Also make sure he does not have a food allergy. My vet said my greysh dark waxy build up was signs of a food allergy.

What is a foxtail :dunno

He's been eating the same food for 8 years. It's only 1 ear, the other one is fine.

Guest Giselle

foxtail2-294x300.jpg

I saw a whole field of them blooming a couple weeks ago, and I cringed. Foxtails are a dog's worst enemy. They manage to work themselves up any crevice - ears, nose, ...um... up there ;)

Guest taylorsmom
This is a tip that has helped us with ear-cleaning:

*Do this outside*

Soak cotton balls with the solution

Pop them into ears and hold flaps closed

Massage for a bit

Let go and run away!

My dog HATES having the solution squirted in, but enjoys this process. And it's kind of entertaining for us too.

MAKE SURE your dog doesn't have ear mites though--that would produce dark, grainy buildup. And you'd want the vet to check that out for sure. It can be really painful and hard to battle without the right stuff.

Oh this is SUCH an excellent idea!! My greys both have spotless ears but my Lab is a whole other story, and it is torture to squirt the solution into her ears. I am going to try this cotton ball approach tonight on her!! Thank you!

foxtail2-294x300.jpg

I saw a whole field of them blooming a couple weeks ago, and I cringed. Foxtails are a dog's worst enemy. They manage to work themselves up any crevice - ears, nose, ...um... up there ;)

:blink: OUCHIE!!!