My Girlfriend's Pup Got Attacked

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Guest Che_mar_Cody
Poor girl, I hope she heals up soon.

What was the fight/attack over?

Chris is not sure what or why when it comes to what started it? She has left the dogs outside may times and yes this is one time you "turn your back" and it happened. On thing I can't make her realize is she has to find out "why" so she can try to prevent this again, especially if she's going to keep Cayenne.

Here is the picture Chris sent me last night. from left to right, Hayat, Zoe & Cayenne

untitled-1.jpg

Am I empathizing with Zoe to much, but she doesn't look comfortable in this situation - what do you guys think?

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll I finally heard from Chris and Zoe did not have an infection but it was filled with liquid, and it is starting again. They are going back next Tuesday for another check-up. Chris didn't say anything about pain meds :( Here's another thing that someone might know about...she has a wire in her? Anyone hear of that?

Her son did not take Cayenne, and Chris seems that it is ok now. I'll post the picture of all 3 that she sent me tonight tomorrow when I get to work (pc problems at home tonight) but to me Zoe looks afraid to me, so I"ll need your opinions on that.

Oh GT'ers I'm so afraid for this situation and thanks for all the prayers...this poor girl is going to really need them!!

How scary...so she's just assuming everything is now ok? No wonder you're so worried :grouphug I hope she comes to her senses and tries to figure out the 'why' of the situation. :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest ChasesMum

oh poor baby... I can understand the not wanting to "get rid of her sons dog" but ... I would not be keeping them all together until I figured some stufff out.

Guest Che_mar_Cody
We'll I finally heard from Chris and Zoe did not have an infection but it was filled with liquid, and it is starting again. They are going back next Tuesday for another check-up. Chris didn't say anything about pain meds :( Here's another thing that someone might know about...she has a wire in her? Anyone hear of that?

Her son did not take Cayenne, and Chris seems that it is ok now. I'll post the picture of all 3 that she sent me tonight tomorrow when I get to work (pc problems at home tonight) but to me Zoe looks afraid to me, so I"ll need your opinions on that.

Oh GT'ers I'm so afraid for this situation and thanks for all the prayers...this poor girl is going to really need them!!

How scary...so she's just assuming everything is now ok? No wonder you're so worried :grouphug I hope she comes to her senses and tries to figure out the 'why' of the situation. :hope :hope

Yes, I'm so afraid a grey will die before she gets my messages. She's so naive about this whole issue.

oh poor baby... I can understand the not wanting to "get rid of her sons dog" but ... I would not be keeping them all together until I figured some stufff out.

I tried to tell her keep them separate especially until poor Zoe heals. She doesn't want to admit anything has really happened and putting this on a back burner HELLO???. She told me this morning that Zoe is doing well and the wound looks well, but that's it...she'll be in touch.

WTH??? I've sent her tons of emails since this happened and most don't get answered. I know she doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings mine or her son's.

She's such a dear friend and very sweet person, but I might have to come across a little harsh to get her to understand.

I don't get this because usually we finish each others sentences and feel the same about our pups..for the most part everything.

I'm so worried and confused on how to try give her any further advice...so I just pray :hope

Guest greytexplorer

Muzzle Cayenne for the time being.

No, Zoe looks WORRIED in that picture of the three of them.

Here is a picture of Mandy's wound when she served as trampoline for a raccoon several months ago.

The white thing is the drain. It's like a very soft drinking straw. Flexible. It's purpose is to allow air to get under the skin for healing, so that healing can occur from the inside out. It allows fluid to drain/drip out, so that pooling doesn't occur.

Watch out for the drain, it does cause carpet to turn red :rolleyes: The drain was removed after 3 days.

If I remember correctly, Mandy was given a shot of Convenia, which is a long term antibiotic.

The only good thing about Zoe and Mandy's wound site is that they can't lick it, thus, no lampshade.

Mandy healed very nicely. She now only has a two inch scar across across her withers.

IMG_05111.JPG

forgot to add, Mandy will be 12 years old this summer.

Tough birds, these broodies.

Edited by greytexplorer

Guest Flysmom

I am sorry that your friend is not realizing the situation. May be a gentle whack with a 2x4 will help... I personally would keep the dogs separated until I figure out what happened and why. It might happen again.

I also would not wait until next week to take her back to the vet. She should have drainage tubes put in, my Kira had that too when Fly stepped on her by accident - Rat Terrier vs.Greyhound...

Hope you can get thru to her!

Guest Che_mar_Cody
Muzzle Cayenne for the time being.

No, Zoe looks WORRIED in that picture of the three of them.

Here is a picture of Mandy's wound when she served as trampoline for a raccoon several months ago.

The white thing is the drain. It's like a very soft drinking straw. Flexible. It's purpose is to allow air to get under the skin for healing, so that healing can occur from the inside out. It allows fluid to drain/drip out, so that pooling doesn't occur.

Watch out for the drain, it does cause carpet to turn red :rolleyes: The drain was removed after 3 days.

If I remember correctly, Mandy was given a shot of Convenia, which is a long term antibiotic.

The only good thing about Zoe and Mandy's wound site is that they can't lick it, thus, no lampshade.

Mandy healed very nicely. She now only has a two inch scar across across her withers.

IMG_05111.JPG

forgot to add, Mandy will be 12 years old this summer.

Tough birds, these broodies.

Her vet told her he doesn't want to do a drainage tube yet??? I don't understand, but it is France. Yes a good point that Zoe can not lick it, that would be worse.

Your poor baby a raccoon! wow!

I hope you are right and she'll come through fine.

Guest greytexplorer

Could your friend hardcopy the picture of Mandy's wound and show it to the vet?

Would that help any?

Earlier you mentioned a "wire". Is that the same thing as a "drain"?

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Would that help any?

:dunno, but now that you mention it why else would they have a wire in her?

I will email her Mandy's picture and see what she says - thank you!

What a scary situation, Pam! I really think Zoe should at least be separated to give her time to heal!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest sinaminsmom

Poor Zoe! It's been six months since Sinamin was attacked by a neighbors dog that escaped from their fence. She still refuses to walk in front of that house and gets anxious when that dog barks at her. Can't imagine laying next to her attacker. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Guest Che_mar_Cody
Poor Zoe! It's been six months since Sinamin was attacked by a neighbors dog that escaped from their fence. She still refuses to walk in front of that house and gets anxious when that dog barks at her. Can't imagine laying next to her attacker. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Cody was the same way when he got bit, he wanted nothing to do with other dogs, except for greys for some time.

Guest greytexplorer

Would that help any?

:dunno, but now that you mention it why else would they have a wire in her?

I will email her Mandy's picture and see what she says - thank you!

You don't even have to email her the pic, just tell her to get on GT!!!

prayers for Zoe's recovery,

~Pat

Guest LindsaySF

I don't think Zoe looks nervous. I think all 3 dogs look quite comfortable in the picture. Some dogs tend to have nervous facial expressions in photos (you should see all of my Honey and Cody pics!), but there is nothing in Zoe's body language in that picture that would lead me to believe she is afraid of Cayenne.

Chris is not sure what or why when it comes to what started it? She has left the dogs outside may times and yes this is one time you "turn your back" and it happened. On thing I can't make her realize is she has to find out "why" so she can try to prevent this again, especially if she's going to keep Cayenne.

Are the dogs acting ok with each other now? If no one witnessed the incident then you can't be sure it was unprovoked, that Cayenne meant to hurt Zoe, etc. Given that this occured outside, maybe it was playing that got out of hand? Greyhound skin is so thin it doesn't take much. They should definitely start muzzling outside from now on.

To be on the safe side they should keep the dogs separate or watch extremely closely, but they may never know what happened out there.

~Lindsay~

Guest LindsaySF

I just read the OP again.

She was attacked by a pit-mix and unsure of the reason for it, but told me that it was so intense that her other grey Hayat got in on the attack too.

This doesn't sound like an unprovoked "attack". This sounds like some pack mentality and both dogs turned on Zoe. Maybe she cried out, maybe she fell, etc. When dogs are running around outdoors this can happen, and with Greyhounds the injuries are almost always severe. (Check out the muzzling link in my siggy for more stories and pics). Also, bully breeds are extremely mouthy when they play, this is a dangerous combo for thin Greyhound skin.

They should separate all of the dogs when no one is there to supervise, but it doesn't seem fair to blame the whole thing on Cayenne (and discuss rehoming her) when no one knows what started it, and the other Greyhound was involved too. How do they know Hayat didn't start it if no one was outside with them?

~Lindsay~

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia is still that way over two years later. She wants nothing to do with dogs,,greys are okay if they kep thier distance. It took about a year for her to feel comfortable walking again.

I wonder how this pup is doing now,,it's preying on my brain.

Guest eaglflyt

I think that Zoe should definitely not be expected to live with her attacker. This situation may very well repeat itself ... and thinking that all is fine now is just denial, imho. I'm very worried for Zoe.