Pray For Cougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thanks to all for the good thoughts.

We just returned from vet. We may be dealing with lumbro-sacrol disease. All of his hip/leg/spine manipulation tests were ok with the exception of appearing uncomfortable (but NO screaming) when he got to that portion of the spine. Because of it's frequent occurance in greyhounds and that uncomfortableness from the test along with the fact that he seems to be getting weaker in his back legs (slower getting up and down, a bit more difficulty with stairs, etc.) that's probably the most realistic probability.

Backing up to this morning, I woke at 5:30 to legs in the air and grunting. It's kinda unclear because I woke during the middle of his episode, but he was over on the wood laminate floor with a throw rug all twisted and flipped when all was said and done. The vet and I discussed a possibility of seizure, but he's 12 and has never had one before. He didn't look disoriented, just panicked because his feet weren't under him. We are unsure if he got tripped up and went down (I'm doubting this) or if he got injured and went down because of something happening. I got over to him and I think he was pretty much on his side but I calmed him and got him to quit bucking on his side and he got both his front elbows planted under him and both hind legs were folded over to his right side. Since this looked reasonably comfortable I just keep rubbing him and after a few minutes got him off his elbows, flat down on his side. DH and I took turns getting dressed with the other right by his side.

At that point, I was worried it was either a disc issue and was scared of doing more damage by moving him or that his muscles weren't working or that he was paralyzed.

He wouldn't eat the marshmallow we offered and really didn't attempt to stand, so we stayed beside him like that for about 45 minutes. When he showed a little effort to stand, DH and I helped him up and within a minute he felt stable on his feet and was willing to take a few steps.

That's when we fed him. He did eat, though it wasn't with his normal full focus. He left about 15 kernels and slowly went out and down 4 steps to pee and poop. He returned and slowly ate the other 15 kernels. I was much relieved that he wasn't paralyzed, but we could tell he was uncomfortable.

As he stood for about the next hour, I now started worrying because he wouldn't lay down. He probably doesn't stand for more than 10 minutes at a time in the house normally and he stood for a little over an hour. It was like he was scared to go down.

So into the car without any drama. Then he laid down a minute before we left our neighborhood, but was back up for about 15 minutes. He did settle on the interstate and stayed down about 20 minutes until we arrived at the vets. He was scared to jump out of the car and had to be lifted out by 2 tiny girls and me.

We saw the vet pretty quickly and it went well. He was down to 70.0 lbs from 70.4 and I think he had been 70.6 or 70.8 the time before that. His muscle loss is dramatic although his weight is actually holding it's own. The skin over his last 2 ribs is pulled tight and the 3rd rib is pretty visible.

Anyway, we are going to do 1 Deramaxx a day and wait on his bloodwork to come back. I had taken Coach's leftover supply of medicine with me and we have about 2 weeks worth of Deramaxx left. Cougar got a pill in the office. Cougar has taken them the last two times he has had corns removed so I am comfortable giving him that.

He zonked out in the car all the way home in what looked like a very comfortable position. I looked back one time and that second eye lid covering was out with the main lid still up. He looked very relaxed.

Backed up to the ditch at home so he could just jump out instead of down. No problems crossing the yard and back up the 4 steps. He laid down in his crate for a few minutes, got up and stuck his head in here to check on me and he's now on my bed resting (mattress still directly on floor from Coach's final issues).

I'm going to wash up, crate him and head out to work. DH is supposed to meet the appraiser here (refinancing) between 1 and 2pm so he'll get to check on him then.

I'm not sure what we have in front of us, but I am very thankful that my Cougs can use his back legs this morning. The first 45 minutes I was awake I was about convinced that he was paralyzed.

Thanks for the support.

sending prayers for your Cougar! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Adding that from the reading material on lumbro-sacral that the vet sent home with me, it sounds like my Coachie girl may have had a very mildly progessing dose of this disease over her last few years that we never diagnosed.

:candle:hope Sending all healing white light to Cougar.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Wow. I have a totally different dog this evening! Just got in from work and he wanted to race through the house when I opened his crate. Didn't think that was a good idea though, so I grabbed his collar and let him lead me through the house. He ate really well and trotted out and down the 4 steps and he looked like his feet were barely touching the ground as he crossed the yard on springs.

He did have liquid poop, but I'll take it after where I thought we would be this evening.

Thanks for helping me stay a little bit sane today with all the prayers and thoughts.

I'd trade liquid poop for a bouncing Cougar any day! Hope he keeps improving!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Day 2 report is good. We even had solid poop and he made it through his normal 10 hour day without an accident! (I know, I feel guilty.)

I hope we just have to chalk this one up to a mystery incident, though I think we probably are dealing with some early stages of LS.

He does look so skinny since he has dropped a pound or two anyway and then I'm sure the Big D is contributing to the extra ribbiness this week. He did get one of my hardboiled eggs tonight for that.