Abita Romeo

Guest Leah

There really are no words for this pain. Having been there, I certainly understand. I'm so very sorry for your loss and for the pain you and Reynolds are feeling. If you need to talk all you have to do is call.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not help but cry when I read your story of Romero. I am so so so sorry. Yes we do question ourselves....did we do the right thing, etc. My heart goes out to you and the human family as well as your 4 legged ones. Prayers and thoughts as you go through this difficult time. I know the void is unbearable :crying

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Thank you all for your kind words. They mean so much to us.

Today was our first day without our sweet boy. The house is so empty. Sweetie walked by and I caught a glimpse of her and thought it was Romeo :( I put some of his collars away today. I had a pretty box that a set of Philosophy Amazing Grace perfume and lotions came in. When I opened the box there was a bottle of the conditioner in it. All of the Philosophy products have little sayings on them. This one said, "It is not if we will lose the things we love, but when. Remember that in the presence of grace love is eternal." Maybe that was a small sign from my boy.

I am just waiting to feel whole again.

Edited by Leah

I would take that as a sign. I am so sorry for your loss. As hard as it is, you can't second guess your decision. Romeo is pain free. I know all too well, as do so many others here, how awful and painful the decision is. I believe it is the worst thing I have ever had to do. In time the tears will lessen. :grouphug

The Girls

Oh, Leah, my heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry you couldn't have had more time with him. But keeping him free from pain was your priority, even though setting him free was the hardest thing for you to do.

What a lovely saying you found when you were missing him most. I truly believe that they send us signs that they are safe, and I'm sure that Romeo did that---he loved you so!

I'm so sorry you lost your precious boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Leah and Reynolds, I am so sorry :(

I feel Romeo knew his body was tired and he planned ahead. Hoping your hearts wouldn't just crumble and fall to pieces. I hope Romeo's gift will help you guys and brighten your spirits just a bit.

GOD SPEED Romeo :angelwings:gh_run:angelwings

I understand how you feel. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of animals over the years, and Mike is right when he says that they just react differently. Some go very fast, and some don't. Festus did not go gently into that good night either, but the vet said that's pretty common. Sometimes there's nothing else you can do. Festus would have died slowly and painfully if we didn't let him go. I know that in my heart, but my head watched him gasp for breath, and even though the vet said it was muscle reflex, you feel terrible.

Angel went really quickly. Just seconds.

You never know. You have to know that you did the only thing you could do. You can't wait until they are so far gone that there's nothing left but that last breath. It's not fair to them. I suppose then you'd know truly and surely that there was not one more moment, but is that really what we want for them?

When Angel died, the vet said something to the effect that he admired that we didn't wait. I don't remember the exact words. But the idea is that when there's no hope for recovery, you have to make a decision that will keep them from the pain of death, and let peace come before they are tortured and scared.

I think that's the decision you made, and it was the right one. It was hard with Joe when his heart beat on and on...But the decision was not made lightly. And it was the right one. You have to just go back to the moment you decided. When you knew it was the right thing to do. And know that you would have to make that same decision again.

Hugs.

Edited by Forevermybabies

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest TBSFlame
Leah and Reynolds, I am so sorry :(

I feel Romeo knew his body was tired and he planned ahead. Hoping your hearts wouldn't just crumble and fall to pieces. I hope Romeo's gift will help you guys and brighten your spirits just a bit.

GOD SPEED Romeo :angelwings:gh_run:angelwings

A very special gift.

Guest CDNgreys
"It is not if we will lose the things we love, but when. Remember that in the presence of grace love is eternal." Maybe that was a small sign from my boy.

Absolutely that was Romeo letting you know he is fine and loves you!!!