Another Opinion About Beau

I posted about Beau's issues on Amer. GH and a very well respected GH person said this:

He reminds me of a dog who has run his back off, particularly the way he moves. The way his hindquarters are toeing in so noticeably, there could be some spinal impingement, and I'm going to suggest that perhaps his pelvic area or lumbar discs are involved, and that's contributing to his miseries. I'd have his lumbar region X rayed, for starters.

Lots of racing greyhounds have on-again-off-again tenderness in the right hip area, because the right side is the weight bearing side when the dog turns left, as they do when they race. That he is now lame on his left, makes me suspect discs or pelvic suluxation. If there is a good canine Chiropractor near you, you might run him over there for a visit.

Just a note....any time a dog is lame, and the reason isn't obvious, start looking at the bottom of the paw and work your way up to hip palpation and manipulation.

I emailed this to my vet and we are there tomorrow morning to have the bandage removed. We WILL get to the bottom of this and I WILL get my Beau back.

I have to.

ETA: Please explain what "run his back off" means.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

:grouphug:grouphug:candle:candle:hope:hope:getwell:getwell

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Very interesting suggestion. Here's hoping you find out more tomorrow. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Running the back off a dog

if you have The Care of the Racing Greyhound it can be found on page 267

Other names for it are:

Exertional Rhabdomyolysis, Grueller Syndrom, Azoturia, myoglobinuria, or metabolic acidosis.

Bascially only a racing greyhound vet is really going to know anything about this sort of thing.

It's just not common for your average dog to have something like this happen. Basically when a dog runs that is not in proper shape it stresses the muscles in the back.

Signs are, hunched up in the back, looking like they are gut sore, drinking tons of water, weight loss to name a few. For racing hounds if it's something not treated properly within 24 hrs the chances of lossing the dog are VERY high.

Treatment is usually IV fluids and methocarb. Fluids to flush the system and the methocarb to relax the muscles.

You also have to fee the hound several meals a day.

Rhabdomyolysis is usually an acute problem, not a chronic condition or due to a prior injury or exercise.....at least in humans anyway.

Yeah; from the description provided, it's what happens after acute exertion, resulting in "blood" (actually digested blood products) being removed by the kidneys. It should be immediately apparent upon urination, and it's an acute thing that follows exertion.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest IrskasMom

I really have no Advice ,but I am amazed what you " Guys " all know. Robin loads of :grouphug:grouphug for you and

Prayers :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope thay you get to the bottom of it , what's ailing Beau .

Edited by IrskasMom

One of the side effects from prednisone is the loss of muscle tone. I noticed that happening with Cutie within a couple weeks of being on 50 mg./day of pred. The first place I noticed was the muscles along the back breaking down. It would look very similar to a dog that has run his back off.

Beau had lost so much weight from the IBD too, that you have just recently gotten back on him.

Once Cutie was off the prednisone, I was able to get her muscles to come back in 2-3 weeks overall.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

One of the side effects from prednisone is the loss of muscle tone.

*rummage* *rummage* Hmmm. Corticosteroid-induced myopathy.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/313842-overview

More frequent with fluorinated corticosteroids than the non-fluorinated ones (the latter containing prednisone), but it can still happen.

I wonder if it also happens with dogs.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I had a foster that was said to have been raced way too often and too long and they said he had run his back off too and that's why they retired him.

Beau had 9 races and hasn't run since, even when he has opputunity to run. IE: an open ball build, he pees, not runs.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Running the back off a dog

if you have The Care of the Racing Greyhound it can be found on page 267

Other names for it are:

Exertional Rhabdomyolysis, Grueller Syndrom, Azoturia, myoglobinuria, or metabolic acidosis.

Bascially only a racing greyhound vet is really going to know anything about this sort of thing.

It's just not common for your average dog to have something like this happen. Basically when a dog runs that is not in proper shape it stresses the muscles in the back.

Signs are, hunched up in the back, looking like they are gut sore, drinking tons of water, weight loss to name a few. For racing hounds if it's something not treated properly within 24 hrs the chances of lossing the dog are VERY high.

Treatment is usually IV fluids and methocarb. Fluids to flush the system and the methocarb to relax the muscles.

You also have to fee the hound several meals a day.

Nothing pertinent to add about Beau, but i believe this is what took the great Downing's life.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry