What's Wrong With Luke's Nose?

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Luke has been off for the last couple of days. He eats, plays and poops ok, but he's growly, which we know from past history means that something hurts. Today, we think we've figured out what, but not why.

He was bugging to go out this morning, and when I stood up from the desk chair, he rushed past me to the door, only he jammed his nose into my leg on the way past. Cue GSoD. I checked him out, but thought at the time that he'd just startled himself-he's a head-butter, so he's banged into me (and everyone else!) before with no problems. Just now, while trying to do laundry, we did it again. This time he was being "helpful" and I went to push him out of the way. He turned to see what was in my hand and I ended up pushing him by the nose. Cue GSoD, again.

Ok, clearly there's something about his nose that's bothering him. He hasn't--that I know of--done anything to damage it, physically, it looks ok, and he's otherwise ok with it being touched. In fact, he was 'sharpening' it in my lap right before the laundry incident. I suppose it might be his teeth, and I'll watch him eat his dinner, but he had his usual wet kibble + chicken feet for breakfast, plus milk bones later, with no problem. He hasn't eaten anything inappropriate, or unusual. (He always gets a turkey neck with dinner, and chicken feet with breakfast.)

Obviously if this continues, I'll take him in to see Dr C, but I'd like to have some sort of idea what might be going on before then, if possible. He doesn't act like he's in continuous pain, fwiw, but he's not usually quite such a drama queen either. Any ideas about what might be going on?

Maybe he has a papercut-like owie on his nose, where it would be hard to see and yet hurt like %&@*#@%.

Did you check inside his mouth, maybe under his upper lip to make sure there was nothing irritated-looking about his gums? (Maybe the chicken feet fought him on the way down, clawing to get away....)

Hope he feels better soon.

Guest FireHorse
Maybe he has a papercut-like owie on his nose, where it would be hard to see and yet hurt like %&@*#@%.

Did you check inside his mouth, maybe under his upper lip to make sure there was nothing irritated-looking about his gums? (Maybe the chicken feet fought him on the way down, clawing to get away....)

Hope he feels better soon.

I did check in his mouth--just now in fact--and he let me, but I got the subterranean growl, complete with stinkeye and hackles while I was doing it. Nothing jumped out at me, but given the warnings I was getting, I didn't go poking around much.

I gave him a turkey neck with dinner, and he crunched it up just fine, and with both sides of his mouth. And then he poked at the door to go out and screamed. :( Poor guy-if I knew what was wrong, I'd fix it!

Sounds like something in his nose or under his upper lip. If you can't find it, I'd get him to the vet sooner rather than later. Don't panic, tho -- I had one once get a little piece of tough sharp grass imbedded in his lip -- thought sure I was dealing with some evil little tumor until I looked closer; was quite sore for the pup until that came out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There could also be something embedded in the roof of the mouth. A longshot, and a tough one to check if he won't let you take a close look at the teeth, but something else on the list of things to do.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Any improvement this morning?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest FireHorse
Any improvement this morning?

Sending prayers! I'd take him to the vet tomorrow.

No, and he's distinctly off this morning too. He didn't do his usual prancy pony head tossing when I was coming downstairs, and he didn't sharpen his nose in my lap after breakfast, either. When I was getting my own breakfast, I heard him sneeze, then yip. He still snarfled his breakfast down though.

Dunno what's up, but I'll be calling Dr C first thing tomorrow morning. I suspect it's going to be a long day-he's a drama queen to start with and quick with the teeth when he's ouchy. Last time he had a corn hulled, he had to be sedated, the silly beast. He usually goes to see her muzzled, but we can't do that if she has to look in his mouth. We've talked about this kind of thing before, and it may be I go get doggie valium tomorrow and take him in on Tuesday. We'll see, I guess.

Oh, poor thing! Hey, if he gets snarky at the Vet's, maybe you need to ask for "Valium-for-Two"!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh--rats--I can't think of the name right now but, I was thinking maybe it's that seed head that can work it's way in the ears or up the nose--anyone know what I'm thinking of???

Foxtails?

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest FireHorse

I don't think we have foxtails here-the link says west of the Mississippi and I'm in VA. I'll take a look to be sure when I go scoop the yard tonight, although there's not much green anything out there yet. Worth a look though-he's the one we call Whiffle Nose, because he's always whiffling everything. Apparently he didn't get the memo that he's a *sight* hound, not a scent hound. :lol

I wondered about his neck, but I don't think so. He was killing Mr Monster this afternoon (very briefly), and giving him a vigorous shaking while doing it. Later when I went to put his muzzle on I put my hand around his chin/nose (he doesn't like to wear it and will duck it if he can) and when I put my thumb on his nose, he yelped. I also saw him pawing/rubbing at his face earlier today, and whining while he was doing it. I'm sure Dr C will check into everything, and she consults with a canine chiro, so if he needs adjusted, hopefully we can still do it while he's riding the la-la train.

Guest FireHorse
How's Luke's nose??

Much better! I never did take him in-by Monday morning he was fine. Happy, waggy, let me check out his nose and mouth with no problem, the whole nine yards. Given his extreme reaction to going to the vet, and the fact that he seemed fine, we opted to wait and see, with the understanding that he'd go in (regardless of his feelings on the subject :rolleyes: ) if he was clearly having an ouchy day again. Aaand...nothing. Whatever it was, he seems to be over it.

Dunno. 'Tis a mystery. :dunno

Guest MAXNAV

Glad he's feeling better. He might have whacked and bruised it or something. My collie would turn the corner too quickly (as does Navigator), and smack his snout on the corner of the wall sometimes. At least it's another vet bill avoided. YEAH!