Good Thoughts For Silver Please

I just got back from the vet with Silver. Last night he had 2 accidents in the house (we weren't home) - it was watery blood (wasn't sure if he threw up or had diarrhea), lots of it and it must have been explosive because it was every where. The house smelled like metal - it was wierd. Must be what a bloody crime scene smells like. Anyway, he wasn't himself either. Didn't come to greet us and wasn't interested in eating (very odd for him). He got us up at least 3 times in the night. My DH had to coax him into his morning walk and said he had diarrhea and vomited. After the walk Silver went back to bed and didn't get up when I get up (which always does). I took him to the vet first thing this morning (he "pooped" again before the vet but it was just like a faucet of watery blood - if it wasn't obvious where it was coming from I would have thought he was peeing). The vet didn't seem overly concerned. She gave him subcut. fluids, some prescription food, and 3 pills (Famotidine, Metronidazole and Amoxicillin). She said he should feel better by this evening and to call this evening or tomorrow morning if he isn't better. If he had bloody poo I wouldn't be as concerned but I am totally freaked out by this bloody "water" (there is no poo). It just seems like so much.

I got him to eat a little of the food and then managed to get him to take the Famotidine but I can't get him to take his other meds (they are "wrapped" in the special food). Silver is a chow hound and he hasn't eaten since breakfast yesterday (which was rice and water since he had some regular diarrhea the night before). After he ate he had that bloody, watery "d" again. Now he is sleeping and won't budge.

How concerned should I be?

Thanks from a freaked out mommy.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest UnrulyHounds

I would be worried too, anything like that with my babies gets me all worked up :( So dont feel like you are over reacting! I have not had this problem before so I dont know what to tell you but I will keep Silver in my thoughts!

With the other pills you just need to open his mouth, tilt his head back and poke it down his throat, hold his muzzle closed until he licks his nose, that will mean that he has swallowed it...

:beatheart Silver :beatheart

Guest oldNELLIE

I don't have any idea what could be going on, but maybe to make you feel better, Miss Nellie had a similar episode just about a year ago. For her it was "stress colitis". I picked her up from a kennel where she had been for a few days and they said "there is some blood in her stool. Keep an eye on it." WELL, there was blood for sure, but stool? No. It was like she was hemorrhaging. It was awful. We went to the vet and got an antibiotic and fed her rice and beef for a week and she was fine. The vet was totally laid back about it too. She joked "you weren't kidding when you said blood" when she saw the sample I brought in. The only concern she brought up at the time was that Nellie could be enimic from blood loss and to restict walks etc to minimal. This may be why your guy is sleeping so soundly. He probably doesn't feel good!

I hope it as easy for you and Silver! If you trust your vet, I would say that he is going to be fine.

I agree, just open his mouth and shove the pills down.

I wouldn't worry too much if he doesn't eat today. If you have diarrhea and are throwing up you probably don't feel like eating either.

I'd try and encourage him to drink so he doesn't get dehydrated.

Just my opinion, but I usually make them skip a meal or two if their stomachs are upset. I figure it gives the digestive system a chance

to calm down a bit, and then I introduce bland foods.

Hope it's just some flukey thing and he's feeling better again soon. Whenever I hear bloody diarrhea I immediately think of worms of

some kind.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I am thinking along the same lines as OldNellie. My family had an Italian Greyhound with severe colitis and her poops were frequently watery with blood. Although deeply unpleasant, it didn't stop her from living a long and happy life once we got a diagnosis.

Will keep Silver in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending my prayers. I also agree...pill him. Please keep us updated. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thanks everyone! I feel better after hearing what OldNELLIE and carronstar had to say. I finally got him to take his pills so I feel better about that as well.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how he is this evening how he is doing.

Kim, Silver and Holly

Guest CDNgreys

Good luck with Silver.

Whenever I don't think my vet is taking my situation seriously enough, I'll call another vet for a 2nd opinion.

Get well soon, Silver!!!

My grey Cody had a very sensitive stomach and she'd have bloody D (often mucusy, but sometimes watery) at least several times a year... some was food allergies, which improved once I found a food she could tolerate (she was allergic to rice - THAT was fun!), some was stress related...

If the prescrip food doesn't seem to be working for him, you might have to try several other things. I found out about rice & Cody when I had her on boiled chicken & rice for a stomach episode & she didn't get better! Switched from rice to pasta & VOILA! Better!

Good luck with your boy - hope he recovers soon!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest SoulsMom

How scary :( Did your vet give you a dx or do any bloodwork?

If he poops anymore blood, you might consider getting him on immediate IV treatment. When Soul had his bout with HGE, my vet sent us to the ER when Soul pooped straight blood. From what I understand it can become life threatening very quickly when blood loss like that is involved.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest BoogieDown

I am very glad that you finally got him to take the other medications. If you hadn't, I was going to strongly urge you to get him to take them. Boogie has been battling some sort of as-yet-undiagnosed digestive issues, and after 24 hours of laying around motionless, he perked up quite a bit after his first dose of metronadizole. While he was certainly a long way from his "old" self, he was definitely feeling better. I did not use any pill pockets or treats to get him to take his meds; he was on a bland diet and I didn't want any treats hurting his already upset stomach.

I would stay in contact with the vet; I spoke with either a vet or a tech every single day until yesterday, updating them on changes and progress. Based on other posts, it sounds like things can quickly turn bad.

I hope Silver starts to feel better soon. We are sending out good thoughts and hugs to all of you.

I think Silver is feeling a bit better - Ya!!! He really had me worried all day though. After he ate that little bit of food this morning he went upstairs to his bed up there and he didn't move all day! I kept going up to check on him to make sure he was okay. I tried several times to get him to come downstairs but he wouldn't budge and I took water to him but he wouldn't drink. Finally at about 5:00 I convinced him to go downstairs but he went right to his bed in the family room. Then at about 6:30 he came to life a bit. I was putting some of his special food from the vet in a bowl and he came to check it out - he ate all of it! I then made him go out and he still has blood just coming out when he poo's :( . Just a little while ago though he came into the kitchen while a did the dishes (he always does that so it was great to see him acting himself!) I fed him some more and he is sleeping again. I feel better that he ate without prompting and that he came to check out what was happening in the kitchen. Hopefully this means he is on the mend.

Thanks again everyone!

Kim, Silver and Holly

Wow! What a difference a day makes (and medicine, special food, etc.)! Yesterday morning I really thought we could lose him (pooing lots of blood is really scarey!). This morning when the alarm went off he was next to the bed waiting for DH to get up and take him on a walk. He really wanted breakfast this morning and when he went on his walk to the bus stop DH said Silver was "bounding" - he was just full of himself and energetic. I haven't seen him poop today so I don't know where he is on that front but he definitely feels better!

Thanks again for your prayers and thougths on what I was dealing with!

Kim, Silver and Holly

Guest oldNELLIE

What good news!

In my experience, Nellies poops stayed bloody for a little while, but they slowly started to have more shape. Also, if you are feeling like Silver is not drinking, add a little low-sodium chicken broth to the water (I do like 25% broth), or put some broth and water in with food. And don't forget that he might be a little enimic, so don't let him get too crazy :)

man, seeing blood like that would scare the CRAP out of me too :( :( :(

glad Silver's feeling better! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest SoulsMom
What good news!

In my experience, Nellies poops stayed bloody for a little while, but they slowly started to have more shape. Also, if you are feeling like Silver is not drinking, add a little low-sodium chicken broth to the water (I do like 25% broth), or put some broth and water in with food. And don't forget that he might be a little enimic, so don't let him get too crazy :)

I haven't heard a dx yet, but if it's gastro intestional (like HGE)it might be a good idea to keep him on the special food for a week or so without anything additional. Meaning skip the broth and just add water. What food did you vet give you?

So glad he's feeling better! Don't be alarmed if you see 'black stuff' in his bowel movements. It's digested blood from his illness.