Tramadol Question

Yet another question in Buddy's treatment for LS. :(

We are discontinuing the tramadol, thinking it might be upsetting his stomach and causing him to not want to eat. His last dose was yesterday morning (Thursday). The doctor said to only give it ONCE a day for a few days, then stop it altogether--not to quit it all at once. So it has been a bit more than 24 hours since he had any, as we were planning to start giving the once-daily dose after his dinner tonight.

Even though he's not had any for 24 hours, he still won't eat. :(

How long does it take for this to leave his system, anyone know??

My next step, if he continues to not eat, is to take him back to the vet to see about further x-rays. I keep thinking maybe there is something else going on that we don't know about.... :unsure

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I never had to taper back on Tramadol, for either myself or for a dog.

I am guessing you have tried all the suggestions of smelly stuff or roast beef or chicken without success. :(

I would go for x-rays or an ultrasound or both. :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Yes, I think that's our next step. I cooked him ground beef this morning, and he flatly refused it. I can't shake the feeling that there is something else wrong, beyond the LS....

Guest KennelMom

I've never tapered a dog from tramadol either, but after 24 hours I would think it's pretty much out of his system at that point...at least it wouldn't be affecting his appetite anymore.

I'd go for xrays and see what you can see. Sending prayers and keeping you in my thoughts :hope

Ditto here: I take Tramadol 4x a day, and there is no "taper off" if you're just on it for a short period, nor does it affect my appetite (I wish!). My old dog was on it too (we shared, and he had no side effects at all).

Since my dose is every six hours, I would think that after 24, it would have cleared the system entirely. I think something else is going on.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm taking him to our regular vet (as opposed to the neurologist or the acupuncturist :rolleyes:) at 10 :40 this morning.

At this point, I just want to know what is wrong...even if it's not good.

Edited by rascalsmom

All fingers and toes crossed for Nothing To See Here. Let us know, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

All fingers and toes crossed for Nothing To See Here. Let us know, OK?

Of course, I'll check in when we get back. Unless something *really* bad happens.

Did he get a B12 shot?

No...I asked the acupuncture vet about it, and he said yeah, sometimes it helps, but didn't give him one. Will ask Dr. Love about that, along with the possible x-rays, etc.

I know one thing: I will not stand by and watch him get thinner and thinner....I went through that with my beloved Snowshoe cat, and won't do that again. I won't repay his love and friendship to me by letting him waste away to nothing. :(

We're anxious to hear how the appt goes.

As for the Tramadol, you have the answers there. Did you try the Nutritional yeast? It's loaded with Vitamin B2,3,6,and 12

Buddy is always in our prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

OK. Here is what Buddy had done today.

--he is 65.5 lbs. About where he was when this all started at the end of January. :(

--slight temperature, 102.7

--lymph nodes are swollen; she did a fine needle aspirate of them, will send that out

--drew blood to send out for CBC/Chemistry

--urinalysis--nothing "jumped out" at her there, she said

--he got a B12 shot

--got an x-ray of his stomach. She was able to see his lower portion in the spinal x rays she took in Jan., and she said nothing is showing up on any of the x rays.

--we got a couple of cans of a/d food, to see if that will stimulate his appetite.

I told her about my dh saying, he's an old dog, maybe he's just "shutting down", and she said old age isn't a disease, there has to be something making him not want to eat.

She agreed to not giving him the tramadol for awhile, and to give him a pepcid twice daily.

Of course, with the lymph nodes, she is looking for things like infection, lymphoma, lymphosarcoma (what is the difference between those, btw?).

We will hear from her tomorrow about the blood work. She's going to take a look at the lymph node tissue, make sure she got a good sample and if so she'll send it out; those results will take a few days.

That's it. No instant answers, but we're looking.

A little good news. He ate a can of the a/d (it was the small can) around 2:30; DD and I got his gabapentin and pepcid into him, and then he actually ate about 2 cups of cooked chicken! So far it is staying down, too.....

He is, however, panting a little bit.

A little good news. He ate a can of the a/d (it was the small can) around 2:30; DD and I got his gabapentin and pepcid into him, and then he actually ate about 2 cups of cooked chicken! So far it is staying down, too.....

He is, however, panting a little bit.

Great! The a/d is very calorie dense. Maybe the B12 shot is giving him an appetite! If the panting does not pass I would call the vet with an update :)

Hoping he's feeling OK this evening and kept that chicken down.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He did keep his food down yesterday, but today he's not doing well. :( Woke up panting, I can tell he's in pain, then threw up some foamy stuff.

We ended up giving him pepcid, gabapentin, AND the tramadol, because he is clearly having pain. His appetite wasn't terrific OFF the tramadol, so I don't really think it was upsetting his stomach all that much. And I knew he wouldn't eat a thing if he's in pain. I did offer him the a/d and he ate basically one bite of it. Will try again once the pain meds have time to start working.

I just don't have a good feeling about this. He's lost 10 pounds, doesn't want to eat, at this point is not enjoying life. I am looking forward to speaking with the vet today, hopefully SOMETHING will have shown up on his blood work....I just feel like I need to know what is wrong so we can decide where to go from here. :(

:(

Sending lots of hugs and prayers.

:(

Sending lots of hugs and prayers.

Thank you so much. It's nice to know you care. This is so hard. I went through something similar with my dear cat, watching him waste away, and swore I would never let that happen to another pet....

Guest KennelMom

I was thinking about you and Rascal last night...still sending good thoughts your way. Please keep us posted on how things go with the vet today.