Ate A Bacon And Shrimp

Guest rogueslg71

Guest rogueslg71

my greyhound just stole a bacon and shrimp off the table when i went outside and left the door open. she went in when i turned around to clean up after her and my other one and took one off the table, brought it outside and ate it. i heard a snap sound and i think it might have been one of the pieces with a toothpick! i just called the vet but it was busy and i will call again in bit. she doesnt look in pain or like the pick might have been stuck in her throat, she looks fine for now and i hope that maybe the tooth pick wont do as much as damage as possible since it is snapped in half (if thats even what i heard snapping). what should i do - is there anything i can do to help her? she came upstairs with me and drank a lot of water and seems fine otherwise. but this was only a few minutes ago so i'm not sure if shell be okay in a little while. :( do you guys think she will be okay from the bacon/shrimp? it was one shrimp with a piece of bacon wrapped around it.

Why would bacon OR shrimp be a problem? The toothpick? I doubt it. Dogs have very strong stomach acids, don't they? If they can eat bones, I think one toothpick will probably pass through unnoticed!

What's the alternative anyway? You can't make her throw it up without risking it causing a problem on the way out, and no vet is going to extract it any other way.

Just keep your eyes on her--I'm sure she'll be fine.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest rogueslg71

thanks for the replies. i've never owned a greyhound or a big dog before so i really dont know what to do when they swallow stuff like that. at least with my little dog i know she cant swallow it without chewing on it for 20 minutes first. i'm just extra worried due to all the stuff i've been reading about how sensitive greyhounds are. i think she is fine because she hasnt shown any signs and had fun at the park just now (well, until a little terrier charged at her). i gave her some bread to help just in case

I think I just decided on dinner tonight :)

I wouldn't worry about it right now. Just feed some bread and watch over night. Shouldn't be a problem tho.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

In the future, if you ever think your dog might have eaten something sharp, feed white bread--it can't hurt and it might cushion whatever she ate.

Glad she's okay.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.