Are These Dangerous?

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

Spud ate my red pepper plant, my japanese eggplant plant (very small one) and the top of my tomato plant.

Should I worry?

I am reading that eggplant and tomato plants are not good for dogs...

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I haven't really read anything about the eggplant, peppers or tomatos being especially bad for dogs. And if it were it would be much larger quantities than were ingested.

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Everything I googled points to the pepper and eggplant being okay, but did say the tomato plant is poisonous. (All parts except the tomato itself) Maybe call your Vet? Good luck!

eta: one list did show eggplant = bad

Edited by SkinnyLegDogLover

Guest TheDoggfather

Pretty sure it's just the leaves you have to worry about... not 100% sure, but, I "heard that somewhere".

How long ago did Spud eat your garden? You might wanna puke him...

Edited by TheDoggfather

Guest gretzky

Spud likes his veggies. I agree about giving the vet a call.

Spud, leave the plants alone please. Some of us northeners need Moms pictures of those plants to keep our sanity.

Guest BlackandBrindle

They said just to watch them, but inducing vomitting is most likely not necessary. They were baby plants so we'll just watch.

They are fine. All I know is that he ate them sometime this afternoon. I've been gone from the house since 10 a.m. and just got back around 3 p.m.

Guest longdogs

All belong to the nightshade family with a lot of poisonous members. Eggplant is slightly poisonous but I wouldn't worry too much. I grow a lot of different peppers and eggplants, and Angel is our 'big blue caterpillar'. Most of my eggplants have ragged edges from her nibbling and the worst that happens is I get to chase her round the garden. How about that for a futile exercise, chasing a greyhound!

after spending a LOT of time perusing poisonous plants last week (after Rain ate the garlic) I did read all parts but the tomato itself are toxic...how toxic, I don't know :dunno I'm guessing if they were just babies it's probably okay.

did Rainey call Spud yesterday and put him up to this? :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest BlackandBrindle

He's absolutely fine :lol

I bothered him to death last night. Checking his gums, calling his name, making sure he was responsive, didn't have a fever, wasn't panting.... :rolleyes:

He slept at the foot of our bed as per usual :lol

I think the freshly turned dirt and potting soil was just too much to resist! They do nibble on the weeds so I'll probably end up planting some wheat grass for them.

He didn't eat the whole tomato plant just some stem, and he left most of the leaves. I'm going to have to put up a little fence or something to make sure he doesn't eat them when I plant them again.