Introducing Dayton

Guest hatsumi

Guest hatsumi

Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking around the forum for quite a while now and thought it was finally time to introduce myself and actually start posting! I have been the proud owner of my first greyhound for 6 months now, and honestly, I don’t think I could have gotten through it without the information and stories I have found on this forum.

We found our boy Dayton advertised in our local pet shop window as a bounce who desperately needed a home. On the phone the rescue centre said he was 7 years old, in perfect health but just a bit shy. We said that wasn’t a problem and that we would love to meet him but couldn’t get to the rescue centre for at least a week because the car was in repair. In what we thought was an act kindness, the shelter offered to drop him round for an ‘introduction’ meeting the following day, but alarmingly we found him abandoned later that evening on our front lawn. From there, things went down hill rapidly. We couldn’t get hold of the shelter or any body connected to it, they ignored phone calls and emails and basically cut off all contact, leaving us with a terrified, neglected old boy.

When we took him to the vets the following morning we began to realise why he had been dumped. His teeth were in such bad condition that nearly all of them were going to have to come out and they were so badly infected that his liver had started to fail. He had ear infections in both ears, ringworm and limped badly on his front left paw due to arthritis from what we now know to be an old racing injury. We also found out from the greyhound database that he was in fact 10 years old, not 7.

I remember walking out of the vets and asking myself if I could afford the treatment, wondering if his care and rehabilitation were going to be too much of a strain. Then I remember looking down and seeing this sad little grey face looking back at me, his head all stooped like he knew wasn’t worth it and it broke my heart. I decided there and then that if he only lived for a month, I’d make sure that for each and every day of that month, he would know what it felt like to be loved.

Six months on and we have a happy, gummy, sometimes jumpy old man who is a snuggle machine, and without the wisdom of some of the posters on here I think I would have given up, so thank you all, I only hope that in the next six months I can put as much into this community as I have gotten from it.

Welcome from New Hampshire! What an incredible story of compassion. This story just made my day, thank you for taking in this older boy, he will return the love you have given him tenfold. This forum is simply the best place to come for anyone who loves greys, they are intoxicating in the best way. Can't wait to see pictures of your grey.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest GreytMuse

What a wonderful story! :heart You are obviously exactly who Dayton needed in his life -- I know he'll repay that love a thousandfold in the years to come!

Now...where are our pictures!?!? I'd love to see your beautiful boy! :)

Guest hatsumi

He has already repaid me more than he ever needed to in slobbery licks and hugs!

Here is my old guy sitting on the tinsel at christmas.

3304440877_f822608d4d.jpg

And here are his sad little 'i didn't do it' eyes (do all greyhounds have that ability to look sad and innocent on demand??)

3304441761_a1bd153533.jpg

Guest goofydog
He has already repaid me more than he ever needed to in slobbery licks and hugs!

Here is my old guy sitting on the tinsel at christmas.

3304440877_f822608d4d.jpg

And here are his sad little 'i didn't do it' eyes (do all greyhounds have that ability to look sad and innocent on demand??)

3304441761_a1bd153533.jpg

It's a greyhound trait :lol Dayton's story of finding you is so very heartwarming. May you enjoy each other for many years to come.

Guest Morgaynn

Wow! Congratulations to you and Dayton both. He will repay your kindness and warm your heart for quite a long time. He's a gorgeous boy! Thank you from Ohio for taking him in and letting him know love!

OMG Allergies are kicking up where's the kleenex?

Congratulations. Dayton is a very lucky boy to have found you. He wasn't dumped on your lawn, he was delivered from heaven.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest alf7199
Congratulations. Dayton is a very lucky boy to have found you. He wasn't dumped on your lawn, he was delivered from heaven.

:wub:

Amen!

Dayton entered your life for a reason so enjoy every moment!!

What a story - some happy tears here too. Make no mistake, he was sent to you for a reason. And it sounds like you have all bonded beautifully. Enjoy every precious moment with this beautiful guy.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Oh my gosh! What a sad story! Poor Dayton! It's obvious you were both meant to be together. Bless you for caring for the senior. I can only imagine what his prior life was like before you. Welcome from Arizona! Give Dayton a hug for me and I would love to see pics of him!

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Guest TBSFlame
Hi everyone. I've been lurking around the forum for quite a while now and thought it was finally time to introduce myself and actually start posting! I have been the proud owner of my first greyhound for 6 months now, and honestly, I don't think I could have gotten through it without the information and stories I have found on this forum.

We found our boy Dayton advertised in our local pet shop window as a bounce who desperately needed a home. On the phone the rescue centre said he was 7 years old, in perfect health but just a bit shy. We said that wasn't a problem and that we would love to meet him but couldn't get to the rescue centre for at least a week because the car was in repair. In what we thought was an act kindness, the shelter offered to drop him round for an 'introduction' meeting the following day, but alarmingly we found him abandoned later that evening on our front lawn. From there, things went down hill rapidly. We couldn't get hold of the shelter or any body connected to it, they ignored phone calls and emails and basically cut off all contact, leaving us with a terrified, neglected old boy.

When we took him to the vets the following morning we began to realise why he had been dumped. His teeth were in such bad condition that nearly all of them were going to have to come out and they were so badly infected that his liver had started to fail. He had ear infections in both ears, ringworm and limped badly on his front left paw due to arthritis from what we now know to be an old racing injury. We also found out from the greyhound database that he was in fact 10 years old, not 7.

I remember walking out of the vets and asking myself if I could afford the treatment, wondering if his care and rehabilitation were going to be too much of a strain. Then I remember looking down and seeing this sad little grey face looking back at me, his head all stooped like he knew wasn't worth it and it broke my heart. I decided there and then that if he only lived for a month, I'd make sure that for each and every day of that month, he would know what it felt like to be loved.

Six months on and we have a happy, gummy, sometimes jumpy old man who is a snuggle machine, and without the wisdom of some of the posters on here I think I would have given up, so thank you all, I only hope that in the next six months I can put as much into this community as I have gotten from it.

:grouphug Thank you for taking this boy in and loving him. Welcome from North Carolina.

Welcome to GT, thank you for caring about Dayton and he looks a LOT like my angel Cody!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

:welcome

Oh my goodness, your post brought tears to my eyes. Blessings to you for helping Dayton out when he needed you so badly. Your story has made my day!

:grouphug

and a :kiss2 for your beautiful Dayton.

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France