Asti Is Hurt

Asti did something in the backyard. She has hurt her rear right leg. She is not crying but will not put much weight on it. I have looked, moved, prodded. Nothing obvious. I think it is between her hock and toes. Our vet is closed tonight.

Since she is not crying, do I wait till morning when my vet is open? Which would be best to give her, Tramadol or aspirin?

Any thoughts, suggestions????

The Girls

Sounds safe to wait until tomorrow unless you start to see swelling. If you have regular strength Ascriptin that's what I use.

Hope the little one feels better. Although she's probably not little anymore

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Aspirin would be an anti inflamatory. Tramadol is pain med. If you give the aspirin, you might help her enough so you don't have to go to the vet. If you give her either medication, and then take her to the vet, they may not be able to help you because her pain will be disguised. If you give her the aspirin and do go to the vet, she won't be able to take deramax for 24 hours. Now you have enough thoughts to ponder and confuse you even more. Weigh your options, I guess. I hope she feels better in the morning and you won't have to do anything except give her breakfast.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you can find no immediate trauma, bleeding, swelling, vomiting, or other outward signs of distress, I would not do anything. Both of my hounds have hurt themselves playing in the yard. If I dont see any of the aforementioned items, I give it 24 hours before I take to the vet. That is just my course of action. I would not rush to give meds simply for limping.

Chad

On the safe side. No aspirin after tonight in case a surgical repair is needed. I cant believe or think that will be necessary, just a precaution or just on the very very off chance. It hinders platelet aggregation ie clotting. Please do not take this advice as a diagnosis of need, just a precaution.

Maybe a toe issue. Gus has broken his two different times. Each a different toe. One was just cracked the other was dislocated.

gusxraya.jpg

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Aspirin would be an anti inflamatory. Tramadol is pain med. If you give the aspirin, you might help her enough so you don't have to go to the vet. If you give her either medication, and then take her to the vet, they may not be able to help you because her pain will be disguised. If you give her the aspirin and do go to the vet, she won't be able to take deramax for 24 hours. Now you have enough thoughts to ponder and confuse you even more. Weigh your options, I guess. I hope she feels better in the morning and you won't have to do anything except give her breakfast.

These are the exact thoughts going through my head. Tramadol will conflict with much less but mask more. I made the call to give Shanti aspirin and it lead to 3 days of nothing before we could start the NSAIDs.

Asti is laying down and REALLY MELLOW! This is not my girl. :( She is touching it to the ground now and then, but pulls it back up and holds it. Judging by how much she is altered, I am guessing it is a trip to the vet in the morning. I leave town on Tuesday for a week, I will not be comfy leaving her with something unknown. If she is good in the morning, I won't worry anymore. :P

The Girls

Asti is starting to walk on it. YEAH! I think she is holding it funny, but I am paranoid. :P No medicine. I figured I would give her some at bedtime if no improvement. She is doing better so I will hold off. Hopefully this will be all better in the morning. Poor girl. Nothing slows her down, but this did.

The Girls

Guest zoolaine

Poor Asti, feel better sweet girl. Zali did the limping thing a few days ago after running around the backyard like a maniac. I was afraid she broke her toe again but within a short while was fine. I did go into a bit of a panic, I guess I should have known she was ok when she was still trying to run around on three legs! Goof Ball. I'll be checkingin the morning to see how Asti girl is doing. Tell her Zali says hi!!!!

Unfortunately, with puppies-sometimes the best thing you can do is wait and do nothing. It is one of those tough things, but if you give the zoom monkey something and she over does it because she feels better-then it wasn't worth it.

Sally jumped off the trampoline, and I thought she broke her leg. It really scared me and she was very quiet and limped most of the night. She didn't squeak when you poked or prodded her or pulled anything-but she is very stoic. The decision was made to wait until the morning, since she wasn't crying or obviously broken-and towards evening she was putting her foot down again. In the morning, she was crazy girl again so no visit was needed.

Now, if it was obvious that there was something really wrong, like swelling or worse-then I would hit the e-vet.

Give the fuzz bunny a kiss from me and tell her to take it easy tonight. I'll cross everything that she is fine in the morning.

Hope her leg is feeling better!!! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Wiggle butt is MUCH better this morning. She stayed in bed all night which was good. I think she is a little off, but not bad. It could just be my paranoid state. :P I ended up not giving any medicine as she started improving before bed. The only mark I found on her was a pink mark on her belly. From the various stories we got from the boys we think she may have tried to go under the patio chairs and got caught. But not a sound out of her. She is now happily destuffing a toy at my feet.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. It was stressing to me to see her like that knowing I am heading out of town and won't be on monitor patrol. I am so pleased she is much better this morning!!!

The Girls

hey girl. i had a similar thing with ollie the other day. banjo put him in her mouth after he tormented her past her limit :rolleyes:

...gently in her mouth, but enough to probably bruise him a little on his shoulder. he screaaaaaaamed bloody murder for like 5 minutes and limped around...but in the end it turns out that the limping was him just milking us for sympathy.

he was fine. kept an eye on him...but he was fine.

hope your girl is good!!

Hope this morning finds Asti back to normal!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Keep feeling better and better sweetheart! Such a little doll baby! :grouphug:wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Asti appears to be over it. I guess I am not use to her being hurt. She is suppose to be the "tougher" one. :P For a couple hours I had 2 dogs only on 3 legs. I don't like that! Whatever she did must have stung her leg good for a while. She looks back to normal now. :)

The Girls