I'm Not Cut Out For This - Coach Update

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Coach has been doing well with her deramaxx and 1/2 tablet tramadol until the last 2 days. She had started limping a little again and I was going to give her another day and up the tramadol if she was still limpy. We returned home about 11am and when I let her out of her crate, she ran to the door like normal but decided to do a full body shake before going out. When she got down to shaking her leg, she screamed out and went down. At first she wouldn't use the foot and then she was dragging her knuckles when she did walk on it and holding it up when she stopped.

Luckily, the vet said I could come in at 11:40 (they close at 12). I saw the new vet they have recently brought in and she wanted to x-ray to rule out a fracture. She returned with an x-ray and said there was no fracture and we talked about upping the tramadol to a full tablet in both am and pm.

When I got home, she called to tell me, she had made a mistake and had brought in her original x-ray. Good news was that there was no fracture, but the new x-ray did show a lot of progression in her bone lesion. :(

She warned me to keep her as still as possible. No jumping and no sudden movements. Well, I pulled the box springs out from under the mattress since that's the only furniture she jumps on now. The bed frame has been the attic since late last summer when Cougar had his issues. But I she has to go down the four steps to get outside and I can't stop her from doing a body shake if she decides to.

I'm holding up, but I don't handle things like this well at all. Way to tender-hearted about my old girl.

Hi Tara,

I have no idea of hte history here, nor do I know anything about bone lesions, but have you seen a neurologist? Just asking because knuckle dragging can be a sign of a neurological problem and maybe she's got more than one thing going on?

Sorry you're having to deal with this. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Yeah, just kinda feel like I want to throw up.

Haven't seen a neurologist. I'm sure we'll be going back to visit with her normal vet soon. I'll see what he has to say.

She's still really limpy. We're about 2 1/2 hours away from supper when I'll give her another full tablet. She is laying and resting well, though. I did sneak her a treat of cottage cheese a few minutes back.

Guest jerrybird

I'm sorry that you and and Coach are going down this path. It is very, very hard and I feel for all of you. Coach is a lucky pup to have you-and vice versa!

Sending my prayers and gentle hugs. Kiss the pretty girl for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greydogluvr
Hi Tara,

I have no idea of hte history here, nor do I know anything about bone lesions, but have you seen a neurologist? Just asking because knuckle dragging can be a sign of a neurological problem and maybe she's got more than one thing going on?

Sorry you're having to deal with this. :grouphug

My grey girl did this as well. Hers was due to the pain involved in supporting her leg. I do not think it is neurological but the result of the progression of the cancer. I am so sorry.

If possible put a sock with some loose vet wrap on her foot so that she does not get a lesion from dragging it. I know how heart wrenching this is. Please love her and spoil her rotten. Positve vibes and strength coming your way. This is so difficult. :grouphug

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I've upped the tramadol and she seems to be tolerating the pain a little better today. No knuckle dragging. Yea! I'll update more in the other thread I've got going.

Please keep the prayers and good thoughts coming.

Guest RooCroo

:grouphug Been through the cancer thing with Miss Sissy's mast cell cancer. I hate it and all the hearts it breaks. :grouphug

My heart breaks for you. Hang in there.

sending prayers for your girl!!!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway