Odd Behavior

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the vet.

They are keeping him to do bloodwork, and some x-rays. He was crying when touched under the neck area, and she says it's swollen in that area....he also has a temp of a bit over 104. :( She said it's possible he has LS; she is going to x-ray him starting at the neck area, since he had trouble there before. She says that could cause trouble all the way back....the temp could indicate infection somewhere....we don't know what to think. Thank God dh took the day off. I would be a mess if I was dealing with this all by myself.

Oh and he is down to 66 lbs. His usual weight, for years, was 74. That alone really scares me.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Sending hugs and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I called to check on Buddy. He was given pain meds and muscle relaxers, but still isn't calm enough to do the x rays. They will sedate him a bit more and then take the pictures. They did do some bloodwork and the good news is, the test for Lyme disease was negative. The rest of the bloodwork will be sent out, we'll know more tomorrow.

The tech told me he will be able to come home later today. They will call me after the x rays.

One question, if anyone knows. Can they detect cancer from bloodwork?

Hope the birthday boy is doing ok at the vets, definitely not the place to be on such a special day. Hope that the vet finds some answers for you - keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. Sending hugs and scritches and a kiss for sweet Buddy.

One question, if anyone knows. Can they detect cancer from bloodwork?

Depends on the type of cancer and what (if any) organs it's affecting. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending healing light for Buddy and prayers for a simple dx.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Update: x rays are taken. In addition to the "narrowing" in his neck, she noticed an area of "narrowing" in the lower spine. So the poor guy's got problems at both ends. :( He is still sleeping, the doc is in emergency surgery and someone will call me later to see if he can come home tonight. The bloodwork will hopefully be back tomorrow.

We just brought him home. He is still rather loopy from the sedation they gave him, but glad to be home. Still having trouble getting around.

The vet showed us his x rays. In his neck there is a real "white" area, and a "cobwebby" area, which could indicate infection.

In the back end, there is a bone spur. So there are issues on either end of his spine. :(

He's on antibiotics for potential infection (cause of the fever??), as well as rimadyl and tramadol for pain. The vet's suggestion is to get him through this acute stage, and if he doesn't get better soon, he may need to see an orthopedist. I asked her about chiropractic and/or acupuncture, and she said that may help, but that would be for maintenance; he needs to get through this first.

She's going to call tomorrow when the blood work comes back. Maybe we'll know more then. The weight loss STILL really worries me. 8 pounds since September....

Thanks everyone for your prayers and support. It really does help to know there are others who understand.

Edited by rascalsmom

{{{{{{{{{{Rascalsmom}}}}}}}}}}

Guest trevdog

Poor boy....what did they feel the "white" area was? That seems odd to me...

I'd be concerned about the weight loss too. Is he eating normally? Sending more positive vibes to Buddy!