Odd Behavior

OK. Buddy will be 12 tomorrow, and today he has been acting strangely. Nothing real concrete, just "not right".

--when dh got up, Buddy was standing up. He is normally still sleeping. He left our room, and that's not like him.

--he did eat most of his breakfast, so that's good.

--since breakfast he has been sort of standing around (when he is usually settled in on the couch for his nap), with his head down and his tail sort of tucked a bit.

--we've noticed recently that he seems thinner...more of his ribs are showing.

This really worries me. I know he's getting to "that age" where things will go wrong, and that he won't be with us for a *long* time at this point....but any ideas? I hate to rush him to the vet and just say "he doesn't seem right"....and I admit that perhaps I don't want to know if something is wrong...he is my boy, and I can't imagine life without him.... :(

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spencers_Greyt

When I see that type of behavior in my dogs it's an indication that they're in some sort of distress and I take them to the vet. Standing around like that makes me think he's in pain of some sort. Best to be safe than sorry and visit the vet.

We had a 12 year old Labrador. She started acting strange during the last year of her life. We think she was having mini strokes. Sometimes she was confused and then later that day, she was fine. Sometimes part of her face was droopy and then she was fine later that day. Perhaps he was having a mini stroke. She finally had a massive stroke and we put her to sleep.

When I see that type of behavior in my dogs it's an indication that they're in some sort of distress and I take them to the vet. Standing around like that makes me think he's in pain of some sort. Best to be safe than sorry and visit the vet.

Ditto

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Ditto

Yup, I agree with this. For some reason, lying down may be uncomfortable for him.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I talked to DH and he agrees that we should get him looked at. Buddy's going to the vet tomorrow morning. Poor guy, has to see the doctor on his birthday....NOT his favorite place to go. :(

Edited to add, another strange symptom is occasional hiccups. That's been going on for several months, and they don't last more than a few minutes, but they happen. I've never known any of my dogs to hiccup....

Edited by rascalsmom

It doesn't matter what the reason for a visit to the Vet - he's your dog and you know him best. If he's "not right", it's time to find out why. Please update after his appointment tomorrow. In the meantime, sending prayers.

Don't know if hiccups mean anything. Have one who gets them once in a great while and she's the only one who takes her time eating, so it's not from gulping air while inhaling food! They last anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so. No ill effects.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Melissa, we'll be sending out some white light to you and Buddy, and hoping that he's okay. Reading the first post, I was thinking of a mini stroke, just because we had a cat with that type of behavior and that was what was going on, but of course, that's just my non-professional opinion. But you do know him best, so if your gut feeling is that something is not right, I'd go with it.

Please let us know what's going on.

P.S. Kisses to Rascal.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest BoogieDown

I'm glad you are taking him in. That's what I would do. Here's to hoping that your feeling that something's just "not right" is WRONG, and that you are being paranoid!

He has also been favoring his right rear leg lately....it seems very stiff when he gets up after a nap, that sort of thing. He seems fine after he walks around for awhile, but it definitely bothers him at times. He has a hard time getting up the stairs...the other day he actually HOPPED up the stairs; both back legs hopping onto the next step at the same time. It was VERY weird. One of us is always right behind him when he's going up the steps.

Sending prayers and gentle scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He has also been favoring his right rear leg lately....it seems very stiff when he gets up after a nap, that sort of thing. He seems fine after he walks around for awhile, but it definitely bothers him at times. He has a hard time getting up the stairs...the other day he actually HOPPED up the stairs; both back legs hopping onto the next step at the same time. It was VERY weird. One of us is always right behind him when he's going up the steps.

I noticed Leeanna doing that back legs together thing. I saw some stiffness in the last few months. The ortho guy says he doesn't find anything but I know what I see at home!

Hopfully he's just getting arthritic. Its a bummer to go to the doctor on your birthday! That calls for a cheeseburger!

Sending many prayers and Birthday wishes for sweet Buddy. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Buddy has gotten worse. Last night he couldn't seem to settle, and kept getting up. A few times he cried out. :( I suspect he may have LS, or something else wrong with his spine.

His appointment is for 10:20 but I called and left a message, to see if I could bring him in sooner.

Please pray for Buddy (and the rest of us, too). He is really not right, and seems to be in pain. He even cried when DH was petting his ear. And of course he wouldn't eat a thing this morning, and very little for dinner last night. I am so afraid for my boy.....

Thinking of you and Buddy this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.