Cairo Is Sick...

Guest makenna25

Sending prayers for many, many, many, many more good days! I hope your sweet boy keeps feeling better.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending prayers. Did they do a tick panel?

I'm not sure, but I'm sure they will. I'll definitely ask, thanks!

If I understand correctly, ticks aren't as big a problem here, "up north", so it's not always the first thing we think of or test for. But it certainly can't hurt to ask. Is that something that can lie dormant for awhile and then flare up?

I finally got your email, Makenna, and replied...will see if anyone else has any ideas about what it might be and let you know.

:grouphug

(FYI for QCGA folks: Cairo was Comedy when he was at the kennel.)

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Yes, tick diseases can lie dormant, or the dog's immune system can keep them in check for years.

Any racing greyhound will have been exposed to ticks at some point -- on the farm, in training, at the track -- and could have a tick disease. Fungal diseases like blastomycosis and histoplasmosis are also possibilities; Valley Fever is one that you'll only see in dogs who spent time in the desert southwest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest makenna25

I will call the vet about the tick panel tomorrow morning. This isn't the best day for Cairo, he won't eat anything today. We tried a bunch of things, he's not a morning eater though, so maybe in a couple hours. I just need him to eat something to keep up his strength.

I want to know what's wrong and a teeny part of me doesn't. :(

We'll keep praying! Thanks everyone!!

Checking in with more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest makenna25

I had a message from the vet yesterday. He said some of the blood work was back and that it looked like it was NOT IMHA ( a really bad anemia) and was NOT Combs blood. So, eliminating things is good, I just hope we can find the answer. I know Combs is a tick thing, but I did send him an email about doing a tick panel and I did a little research myslef, and we may need to do a different test to be sure it isn't tick. I was reading about tick diseases and greyhounds... grrr!! The poor things don't have an protection from it, and then it can lay dormant for years and hit without warning!

Well, we will be hapy with the small victories! I hope we find out more soon. Cairo is doing ok, although he has lost interest in the new food, so back to trying to get him to eat chicken and rice, maybe he needs variety! Any other ideas for something he might find tasty and would give him strength?

Thanks everyone for all your support! It has really helped, I actually haven't cried for a couple days! :)

My husband and I are splitting our work days so one of us will be home at all times, so he's getting lots of TLC!

Please- if you suspect it could be a tickborne disease (TBD), get started on the antibiotics right away.

What is your location? Maybe we can find a vet more familiar with greyhounds in your area.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

With illness, some of our greys have lost their appetite so we've tried "people" food to get us through. Mashed potatoes, Lipton chicken noodle soup - the noodles are small and easy to swallow and the broth is soothing, macaroni & boiled chicken, rice with boiled ground turkey, even mild beef stew. We found four tiny meals seemed to work well rather than large ones. Could Cairo's stomach be upset and adding to the problem? You could give him a 10 mg. Pepcid about 20 minutes before feeding in the morning and evening and it might help as well. Just a few suggestions but maybe some of them will tempt him to eat.

I hope Cairo begins to feel better and you are able to get a diagnosis for why he isn't feeling well.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest makenna25
Please- if you suspect it could be a tickborne disease (TBD), get started on the antibiotics right away.

What is your location? Maybe we can find a vet more familiar with greyhounds in your area.

He is already on antibiotics, so that's good. We are in Iowa. The vet I am seeing, sees all the kennel dogs from our local greyhound adoption group. I don't have any reason to think it is a tick disease other than it happens in greys... so we will keep on the antibiotics until we know for sure.

Thanks!

With illness, some of our greys have lost their appetite so we've tried "people" food to get us through. Mashed potatoes, Lipton chicken noodle soup - the noodles are small and easy to swallow and the broth is soothing, macaroni & boiled chicken, rice with boiled ground turkey, even mild beef stew. We found four tiny meals seemed to work well rather than large ones. Could Cairo's stomach be upset and adding to the problem? You could give him a 10 mg. Pepcid about 20 minutes before feeding in the morning and evening and it might help as well. Just a few suggestions but maybe some of them will tempt him to eat.

I hope Cairo begins to feel better and you are able to get a diagnosis for why he isn't feeling well.

Good ideas for foods to try. He ate some chicken and rice last night, but I'll try some other options as he isn't interested today. He is on a medication from the vet to help with the vommitting, upset stomach, but I'll check with the vet to see if adding pepcid might help.

Thanks!

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest makenna25

You asked to know about Cairo... well he is a fun boy! He loves to play, LOVES walks, and of course loves sprinting around the yard leaving his Golden Retriever brother in his dust! We call him our kitty because he loves pouncing on toys, basking in the sun and licking himself clean! He also stretches in a way that looks like a cat. He is tail wagger!! When he's really happy and excited his tail goes in circles!! H loves his belly rubbed and likes to come get it rubbed and lean against your legs. He loves to play with his brother and chomp his neck, it's fun to grab hold of all that fur! His fun personality keeps coming out, he is ver playful and he is always cracking us up!

DSCN6187.JPG

DSCN4329.JPG

DSCN4374.JPG

DSCN5608.JPG

Aaww! Cairo is a real handsome fella! Hope he's feeling better, soon! Sending powerful prayers!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead