Rickie Is At The Vet - Chewed A Hard Plastic Squeaker

Rickie threw up before breakfast - dark bile and a digestive enzyme pill, I wasn't too concerned. I waited awhile to give the dogs breakfast and both ate normally. I thought all was well.

Until I found remnants of a a squeaker on the floor - it came from inside a duck stuffie that had a two-phased quack. I now know that in order to produce it, there is a small rigid plastic box inside with some tiny electronic components and a battery.

Pieces of all these things along with some stuffing were on the dining room floor. I have no idea if Rickie ate any of them or not, but if he did, the plastic is very bad news - it's rigid and the broken pieces are sharp-edged and pointy.

I took samples of the pieces to the vet when I dropped him off just now. I have no idea if they can see this kind of plastic on an x-ray, but I hope so because if there is any inside, we need to know asap and, unfortunately, probably get it out since it would do damage.

It is SO unfortunate that I didn't find this before feeding him, in case he needs surgery.

We have 2 other toys of this type and both are now in the trash.

Please cross your fingers that he spit everything out as he chewed. I am worried sick because of how hard and pointed the pieces were.

Edited by Rickiesmom

oh no. Poor Rickie. Hope he is OK. Sending many prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so sorry Mary. Maybe give him lots of bread ??? I had a vet tell me he managed to get a treble hook through a dog without a problem by feeding it a LOT of bread....

Just a thought. Hopefully he spit it all out or at least that the pieces are tiny and can pass through.

Kay

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

I just called the vet with an idea.

They weren't sure if the plastic would show up on the x-rays. When I dropped off Rickie I also dropped of an envelope with pieces of the plastic so they could see what he had eaten.

I just called and asked them to include a piece of that plastic when they x-ray him, as a test. If it doesn't show up, then we know the x-ray is useless. If it does, then we can be more confident that plastic inside him would show up too.

Little man, I told Ekko what happened and she is very concerned for her friend. We are all praying thst you will be just fine and no surgery will be needed.

Please let us know!

Worried in the desert

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Lots of good thoughts coming your way! Let me now how my little whippety crush is doing!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Just spoke with the vet - nothing showed on the x-rays, but my request to include a piece of test plastic under Rickie when they took the pictures wasn't communicated in time, so I have asked them to repeat the x-ray as requested.

They are going to make him vomit (poor baby) so that if there was anything ingested recently it will come up with his breakfast. If anything has moved into the intestine we wait for symptoms since there is no evidence to suggest that yet.

I'll feel better once we know if the plastic will show in the x-ray, but at least the news so far, while not as definitive as I would like, is good.

Oh yuck..

We've had devoured squeakers and squawkers here too. They usually pass without incident, so I hope the same for Rickie.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

They repeated the x-ray - unfortunately the test plastic doesn't show up, so the x-ray is not telling us for sure that nothing is in there. The good news is that there was no debris in the vomit. So unless plastic is already in the intestine, we are clear.

We won't know for sure for a couple of days or so, to see if symptoms show up, but I am feeling much better about this.

Thank you for the good wishes - I wouldn't normally worry quite this much except for the plastic shards being so sharp and rigid.

Guest greytexplorer

Rickiesmom, you mentioned the "dark bile" that he threw up before breakfast. That wasn't blood evidence, was it?

If not, then I'm pretty sure things will be fine. I'm just thinking about those sharp things going down his esophagus. That would hurt, right? Seems like THAT would make them stop eating plastic, huh?

Anyway, hugs to you and your boy. When does Rickie come home?

~Pat

Pat, because the bile looked darker than usual the same thought crossed my mind and I had a very careful look before and while I was cleaning it up and there was no evidence of blood, thank goodness. It was darker than usual, but definitely yellow - that was very clear on the paper towel. So I think that was OK. I am hoping that episode was coincidental only.

. I am hoping that episode was coincidental only.

me too.

Continued prayers

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

That's exactly right - $439 later, we wait. We know more than we would have had we done nothing (mainly, no nasties in the stomach) but because the plastic doesn't show on the rads, we will only know if his intestines are OK if he doesn't develop symptoms over the next days.

I had to wait awhile give him anything to eat because of the drug they administered to make him throw up, but mid-afternoon he ate a piece of toast and kept that down, and later shared a few burpdogs with Arlie, which also stayed down.

The vet thought if there were any intestinal upset he wouldn't be hungry / wouldn't keep food down. So we have to hope neither of those things, or other symptom, arises.