Icarus' Gotcha Day At The Bridge

Jiffer

It was five years ago that I made my first trip to the kennel to pick out my first greyhound.

I had gone out with full intentions of bringing home the biggest, blackest boy... I walked out with a 75lb Brindle. :lol I fell hard and fast for Icarus, for greyhounds. He was such a great dog. Sure, we had our ups and downs, but I was learning, he was learning. He taught me far more than I taught him.

I can't believe that it's been five years. It feels like yesterday that we first brought him home. He walked in, found the dog bed and slept. I fell asleep beside him.

He was with us through many milestones. DH was working up north so I needed company. He kept me on schedule. He moved from our apartment to our townhouse and finally, to our first house with us. He ushered in Atlas, Echo, Orion and Uber into the family. He was with us on our wedding day, he was with us when we bought our first new car.

Happy Gotcha Day, my angel. I think of you often and miss you terribly.

DSC00031.jpg

IcarusandMe.jpg

IckyFlame.jpg

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest mdituro

Sending big hugs to you :grouphug for sharing such warm memories of your boy, Icarus. He looks so handsome standing next to you in your gown!

Someone, I can't remember who, once told me "you never get the dog you want, you get the dog you need" :lol - so it seems to be with "the first ones". Icarus was there for you and you were there for him. The "firsts" you celebrated together will never be forgotten - and so, Icarus lives on in your heart forever. :wub:

On a personal note, your tribute to Icarus touched me so deeply as it parallels, in many ways, that of our first Grey, Fortune. (I still think of Fortune all the time, too.) Maybe the two of them are running and playing at the bridge, together. She was always a sucker for a handsome brindle boy!

Guest hannahmom

I love that picture of the two of you on your wedding day.

Happy Gotcha Day handsome boy :beatheart

Send your Momma a kiss when you can - she misses you

Happy Gotcha Day Handsome. You did a great job training your Mom.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Those pictures made me all teary.

Happy Gotcha Day, special fellow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jackjack

Awwwww, Icarus! :kiss2 I can only imagine how much your mom must miss you :cry1 Jen, I think that pic of you and Icarus on your wedding day is one of my favorite pics of him (and you).

Sending hugs, Jen. :grouphug

I know that we picture one greyhound in our mind and leave with one completely different and that leaves a lasting impression. Happy gotcha day Icarus!