Female Geriatric Incontinence

Guest suenotto

Guest suenotto

My 12 y.o. female has started having accidents while sleeping. She never squats in the house, rather it happens sometimes while she's laying and sleeping.

I was wondering if anyone uses doggie pants for their female and what they have found to be successful.

Thanks,

Sue

I do not know if anything on this site will help you, but I was here today forwarding it to a friend of mine in IL that has a "grippet" with cold weather issues. They do have diapers and based on what I have seen over 2 years with the pads I'd say give it a shot.

http://store.poochpad.com/index.html

One of the elderly greys I dogsit has gone to the bridge but these were/are the best thing since sliced bread. I haven't explored the other options on the site that may help you but can vouch 100 percent for the ease and durabity of the pee pads. The mature pee pads are 50% off ONLY through tonite with a code which I will give anyone interested. Christi said to order the 36X36 for pee pads (in case others need them). They also make an SUV liner. These things are NOT crinkly, wear like iron and will wash hundreds of times.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

When one of my girls was only 3-1/2 years old, we went through a spell where her bladder would leak while she was laying down. We ran a urinalysis and culture to rule out infection - all negative. I started her on a homeopathic bladder control medicine which took a couple of months to kick in. She was pretty good about laying on her bed most of the day and the hospital grade bed pads worked just fine. When she would leak on the carpeting in our bedroom, I used a lot of Nature's Miracle to keep up with the "spots".

Hope that helps.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I do not know if anything on this site will help you, but I was here today forwarding it to a friend of mine in IL that has a "grippet:" with cold weather issues.

http://store.poochpad.com/index.html

One of the elderly greys I dogsit has gone to the bridge but these were/are the best thing since sliced bread. I haven't explored the other options on the site that may help you but can vouch 100 percent for the ease and durabity of the pee pads. The mature pee pads are 50% off ONLY through tonite with a code which I will give anyone interested. Christi said to order the 36X36 for pee pads (in case others need them). Thet\y also make an SUV liner.

I've used pooch pads also - they're great.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

If she is having accidents in her sleep and there is no urinary tract infection there is medicine that can help that. You might ask your vet about it.

Edited by GreyKarma

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Both of our senior gals leaked while sleeping. After a U/A and culture...they were started on meds...never leaked again!

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

If she is having accidents in her sleep and there is no urinary tract infection there is medicine that can help that. You might ask your vet about it.

There is a drug that can help but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. I may be overboard, but I would be concerned using diapers as I would be concerned about the wetness causing other issues

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Two meds are helpful with spay incontinence: Proin and DES (which has to be compounded). I prefer the DES, as Proin can have side effects - increases blood pressure and heart rate - that could potentially be harmful to an older dog. Also, the DES can be tapered from once a day to once a week (or even less often) over time.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

We used them on our old girl, Sandy, with great success for over 2 years. She wore them with greyt pride!

Here's what we used, in a size medium, lined with male incontinence pads. If it's just dribbling or a small amount of urine, you may be able to get away with using feminine hygiene pads (cheaper).

Foster & Smith Pet Bloomers

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

I have never had much luck with diapers. If it only during sleep, I use those bed pads for people, the disposable ones. They're cheaper than the pet training pads and cheapest at Wal-mart. I cover the bed then cover the pads with an old comforter. I have to wash the comforter every day but it saves the bed.