How Long

SAVED2

My first Greyhound Maggie is in kidney failure , she has started to peeing in the house during the night , we went to the vet again yesterday for another URINALYSIS , 2 weeks ago the ph was 8 yesterday it was 9 , she looks perfect , runs in the yard and acts normal other than wanting to go out more than normal , so anyone have any idea how long we have left.

Guest greyscot

I've had a cat with kidney failure and a non-grey dog. The cat never got to the stage where she peed in the house. She lived with kidney disease over 18 months from diagnosis then went from appearing completely okay to a very sick cat within a week. My non grey had kidney disease about the same length of time and she did reach the stage of peeing in the house. However she developed a tumours in her lung and that is what ultimately finished her. I know my vet said about 2 years from diagnosis was the maximum he had seen. :grouphug :grouphug to you and Maggie.

I am sorry I have no experience but we are sending prayers and hugs... :grouphug :grouphug :hope :hope :hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Hugs to you.

What is your vet saying?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

No experience, just prayers and hugs for Maggie.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Our Vet said she is IN Kidney failure. Her first test a 6 weeks ago showed her PH at 8 so we put her on K/D hard food and AMMONIL 500 mg. one pill twice a day. We had her re-tested in 2 weeks and she was the same so they increased her pills to 4 a day and Just the K/D food and nothing else. Had her re-tested again in 2 weeks and her PH was down to 5 ! so they went back to the 2 Ammonil a day and the same diet. yesterday we re-tested her again and her PH was up to 9 so she is back on 3 pills a day. She acts normal, is very active, running and barking in the yard BUT she is having accidents every night in the house and asks to go out about every 1 to 2 hours during the day to pee. I have to soak her food because she has no teeth due to sever gingivitis. She did stop eating the K/D about 2 weeks ago so I had to add 5-6 pieces of low fat food and now she is back eating very good again. I am trying to wean her off the 5-6 pieces of low fat food and get her back on the straight K/D, She turned 10 last August. So this is where we are at right now, and don't know what to expect next. Any ideas would be helpful. thank you all, sharon

Guest EmilyAnne

My understanding is kidney disease can be connected to dental disease. Bacteria gets in the blood and etc., I forget how it works. Can anybody else explain it better? Perhap your vet can try to do a non anesthetic way of cleaning up the gums/teeth?

Also, no sub-q fluids?? I had a cat who lived with kidney disease for over two years. As long as he had his sub-q fluids and kd diet, he was ok. He sure did soak the cat litter box though. He lived to be 17.

I'm afraid my experience won't be very helpful. I had a cat that lived for 3.5 yrs after being diagnose with chronic renal failure. It's fairly common in older cats. He was on subq fluids, and over the course of the three+ yrs, took Forti-Flora and Viokase (sp?) as well as pepcid every day to help him eat. Doesn't sound like appetite is a problem for you.

My greyhound, Sugar went into acute kidney failure last summer, probably related to her heart disease/heart meds. She stopped eating, and I let her go after just a week when it became clear she was ready to go.

sorry this is not more help! :bighug for Maggie

My understanding is kidney disease can be connected to dental disease. Bacteria gets in the blood and etc., I forget how it works. Can anybody else explain it better? Perhap your vet can try to do a non anesthetic way of cleaning up the gums/teeth?

Also, no sub-q fluids?? I had a cat who lived with kidney disease for over two years. As long as he had his sub-q fluids and kd diet, he was ok. He sure did soak the cat litter box though. He lived to be 17.

This is why I asked if it kidney failure or kidney disease. There's a big difference.

As for the KD, what about trying the KD canned? I've had several Greys with kidney disease and Misty has it as well, but no experience with kidney failure. All I can offer is a ton of prayers!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I would DEFINITELY ask about sub-q fluids. My cat was dx with the beginning stages of kidney failure almost 2-1/2 years ago. I give 200cc of ringers solution every other day. No special food or anything else. See if your vet will give you the prescription and teach you how to administer sub-q. Its quite easy. It should be very helpful as it gives extra fluid to help flush out the kidneys. It buys time.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

What are her BUN and creatinine?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Beat me to it, Batmom. :)

I hope your vet isn't basing a diagnosis of renal failure or renal disease simply on a pH, which only gives you the acidity of the urine and no other information. Frankly, a pH of 9 is very high, indicating a very alkaline urine. The first thing I think of with an alkaline urine is urinary tract infection.

Renal failure or disease is diagnosed based upon labwork (BUN, creatinine, albumin) and urine studies, including testing for protein in the urine.

Do you have info on any other testing your vet has done?

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

My 13+ boy has kidney disease which we monitor with blood tests every few months. In December he started having accidents. We checked for a UTI before doing anything else and guess what... :) There are several good articles on Kidney disease on the OSU site which you might want to read and discuss with your vet. Kidney PDFs Is she being treated for the gingivitis?

Guest greytbookert
Beat me to it, Batmom. :)

I hope your vet isn't basing a diagnosis of renal failure or renal disease simply on a pH, which only gives you the acidity of the urine and no other information. Frankly, a pH of 9 is very high, indicating a very alkaline urine. The first thing I think of with an alkaline urine is urinary tract infection.

Renal failure or disease is diagnosed based upon labwork (BUN, creatinine, albumin) and urine studies, including testing for protein in the urine.

Do you have info on any other testing your vet has done?

I would agree with houndznigz and Batmom. Here are a couple of websites that have a lot of information about kidney disease.

Our Mama Ro was dx with kidney insufficiency in June and had a happy 6 months with her. Mama Ro was 14 at dx. Good luck with your girl! Kidney disease is scary, I know all too well.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.p...p;C=0&A=572

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html#Introduction

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_chron...iagnostic-Tests

I have lost 2 cats to kidney failure. With the first one, I did sub-q fluids and kept her with us for another 6 months. The other cat went so fast is was unbelievable. I think it just has to do with each individual animal. We did put both of them down to put them out of their misery. I know what you are going through and I hope that you have Maggie with you for a long time!

Good Luck and I'll keep you in my prayers!

Guest Greensleeves

Agreed. Nelly *never once* had the pH of her urine tested; all her significant tests were bloodwork. She also had an ultrasound done of her kidneys.

A high pH + incontinence sounds like a UTI or bladder infection; did they see bacteria in her urine? I would take her back in, get her bloodwork done, and have the vet do a urine draw straight from the bladder. Find out if this is really a kidney issue using tests designed to diagnose kidney function.

Good luck!