Prepuce Discharge

My Indy is 11. In November, I noted a rather unpleasant odor (as in enough to make your eyes water) from his penis and a slight creamy yellowish-white discharge :blink: . Went to see vet. Urinanalysis negative. Vet pushed sheath way back only to discover serious chunks of stinkage. :eek Pee-U. Vet cleaned (douched, if you will) with antiseptic.

We returned a few weeks later as problem persisted. Vet cleaned Indy again, prescribed ten-day course of antibiotics, and recommended an acidophilus supplement. Indy seemed to respond well to treatment.

But after finishing the antibiotics, Indy is back to where he was pretreatment. I don't believe the vet swabbed for a culture at the time - so will ask about that.

Just read some info about this online -- could be one of several things. Has anyone experienced this with their male hound?

Guest greyladydown

A few of the new boys have come in with discharge. A course of antibiotics and some daily cleaning with antibacterial soap always clears it up.

I wonder if he's not keeping it clean well as he's getting older?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I wonder if he's not keeping it clean well as he's getting older?

That's what I'm wondering also.

Lee has a discharge and I have mentioned it to the vet. I was told that all males have a discharge but they usually clean themselves and that takes care of it. I have noticed that Lee doesn't clean himself like he did in the past so it's more obvious.

Sometimes Boomer will do a "fly-by" on Lee and clean it on the go. :lol

Guest PiagetsMom
I was told that all males have a discharge but they usually clean themselves and that takes care of it.

I was told something similar......I noticed a discharge with Mirage and asked the vet about it. He told me that it's very common with the males and unless I wanted to clean him myself, there wasn't much to do about it. He wasn't concerned with it, but he's constantly cleaning himself and especially in the middle of the night, it drives me nuts. I'll probably mention it to his vet again at his next appointment - right now, if cleaning him up would take care of it, I'd do it.

Edited by PiagetsMom

If there's serious gunkage, you'll want to flush clean with water 2-3 times a day and apply Panalog ointment. At least, that is what worked for "us."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ArtysPeople

Arty also has a discharge, and I also asked the vet, and I was also told it's normal. Sometimes he's good about cleaning, and well, sometimes I have to go down there with a warm moist rag and do some wipe-up of the dried stuff. BUT (and this is a very BIG BUT)I have NEVER noticed it had a smell at all, let alone a smell like the OP mentioned. I think Indy may be dealing with something a little above-and-beyond the normal. I would definitely be back at the vet for a culture, and let us know what you find out!

Guest PiagetsMom
If there's serious gunkage, you'll want to flush clean with water 2-3 times a day and apply Panalog ointment. At least, that is what worked for "us."

Batmom, I assume it doesn't hurt them to injest the Panalog if they clean themselves, and isn't Panalog something I'd have to have a prescription for from his vet?

When a dog stops cleaning themselves, it could be an indicator that there are other health issues.

Dylan developed a sheath infection shortly before his intestinal mass was discovered.

Batmom, I assume it doesn't hurt them to injest the Panalog if they clean themselves, and isn't Panalog something I'd have to have a prescription for from his vet?

It doesn't hurt them if they lick it, but they don't need to make a steady diet of it. ;)

I checked a few places and Panalog requires a prescription in the US. Not sure about AU or CA.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input. Just FYI - I did have a conversation with Indy about personal hygiene. :lol He does "clean" himself, but is not obsessed (thank goodness).

When the hounds come in from outside, I always wipe their paws - so that is how I first noted the odor (while wiping back paws). Indy doesn't drip, but rather exhibits a tiny dot of goo at the end of his penis (the goo is coming from under the sheath).

Vet said a certain amount of smegma :blush is normal, but what Indy has is above and beyond. It's the offensive odor that's the killer, and unfortunately, the stink gets on whatever he comes in contact with.

Could be yeast or something else. I think a culture is necesary. Thanks!!!

Wizard came to us with discharge, but there was no odor. It was enough to get all over his tummy and thighs, though. The vet did a little "flush", and it never returned. With the odor you describe, it sounds like something a little more than what Wizard had. I haven't done any reading on this, but what about fungal infections (I'm thinking yeast infection)?

Huston had a similar "experience". I had to douche him (so to speak) every day, then every other day. He was on clavamox for 2 weeks. It did clear up.

Good to know. Vet put Indy on Clavamox as well, but only for ten days. Vet did not instruct me to douche him - perhaps that and a few extra days on antibiotics might have made the difference. Thanks!

I am currently dealing with this, but not to the same extent as you are. Please let us know the final outcome for your boy. My vet told me that it is normal and if you look at it under the scope you will always see some type of bacteria simply due to the "source location." He indicated that in extreme cases, they have surgically shortened the sheath which resolved the problem. That is something that I am not really interested in exploring at this time. We did get a 10 day course of Baytrill for our newbie with the same issues. The culture came back negative and his symptoms are gone. Now, my 8.5 YO is having the same issue. Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am currently dealing with this, but not to the same extent as you are. Please let us know the final outcome for your boy. My vet told me that it is normal and if you look at it under the scope you will always see some type of bacteria simply due to the "source location." He indicated that in extreme cases, they have surgically shortened the sheath which resolved the problem. That is something that I am not really interested in exploring at this time. We did get a 10 day course of Baytrill for our newbie with the same issues. The culture came back negative and his symptoms are gone. Now, my 8.5 YO is having the same issue. Good luck!

FYI - Sorry if this is "too much information" :unsure but when the vet pushed back Indy's sheath to douche, there were little chunks and also what looked like tree bark (if you will) wrapped around his penis. A lot of smelly gunk.

I don't know if it could be an autoimmune or flora issue? Indy has had a few UTIs over the years, but nothing like this. I know he's getting older (also has LS; a possible link?). I am going to request a culture and we'll go from there. Will certainly let you know the results.

FWIW, the first time Batman had it, he had had a dental recently so was pretty snoozy for a day or two -- probably didn't clean himself much. He had 2 other incidents (one very minor), and I believe one of those was on another similar occasion. We didn't culture, and I don't think we did oral antibiotics, just the cleaning and Panalog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yuck! We haven't had anything to that extreme, thankfully. After writing the last note, I went to check on him, much to his dismay, and things actually looked pretty good. I haven't put the 8.5 YO on antibiotics yet, just cleaned him up. I hope that you find the cause for your poor boy's problems. Give him a scritch for me!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow