This Is Not Working- Beau Is Not Eating

RobinM

Beau has not eaten a meal since Friday. He ate a small amount on Saturday. Basically had nothing but the "wrong" foods Sunday (chicken, we think) and was sick yesterday. He took a lick of lamb, a lick of venson, turned away from beef yesterday and then ate 1/4 cup of lamb.

Today one of the foods OSU said to try was royal canin Duck so we added that to our store of foods we have. He ate about 1/4 cup and that is it. THIS IS NOT WORKING AND I AM FLIPPING OUT. TOTALLY FLIPPING.

Even if we schedule the biopsy, we still don't have a dog that will eat and I know from experience after Beau has surgery, he definitely won't eat. I am afraid I am going to lose him.

How long can this go on and what are my options?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Syringe feeding is not as horrible as you might fear. Please consider it.

I posted this for someone a while ago. Maybe it can help you. :goodluck

But if nothing else works...

Having all-too-recently been through the not-eating thing with my Marla, I can tell you that if no foods can tempt your pup, and you don't want to shove food down her throat, syringe-feeding is not as bad as you might fear. Your pharmacist can give you an oral syringe, and you can puree the dogfood in a processor or blender with chicken broth until it's a nice smooth liquid (I found that pre-soaking the kibble in broth overnight in the fridge made it blend more smoothly). Then, one syringe-full at a time, slowly squirt the food into the side of her mouth, between her teeth. With Marla, once the liquid food hit her tongue, she started just licking and swallowing. I adjusted the speed of my syringe-plunging to accord with the speed of her swallowing. She didn't seem to mind being fed this way at all, even though there was no food left on earth that she would eat on her own.

The advantage I found to doing this rather than continuing to scour the earth for more novel foods for her to reject (after four weeks, you run out of ideas), was that this way I could return her to the consistent diet that worked well for her, and it cleared up the diarrhea she got from eating so much weird stuff all the time. The downside is that it is time consuming, and it takes a lot of syringe-fulls to equal the amount of food a dog must eat daily in order to maintain weight. Many small meals daily, is what I did.

Good luck.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Has he gotten any B12 shots? How much pred is he on? Is he still getting stomach meds?

No pred. one shot yesterday.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

How much does he weigh now?

What all meds is he currently taking?

What blood tests did you have run, and when are results expected back?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest AllThingsBiotha

Have you tried raw green tripe? It comes in frozen rolls and Bravo or Oma's has it usually.

Satin balls: Satin Balls recipe

I agree--or even what some people call 'stuffing'--making small hot dog like food rolls and putting them down his throat like a pill. This is certainly just a temporary measure, but may get you through the current crisis.

Edited by AllThingsBiotha

How much does he weigh now?

What all meds is he currently taking?

What blood tests did you have run, and when are results expected back?

Yesterday he was 62. He hasn't eaten. So, I am sure he is less now.

Today he woke up with gurgly stomach- even though he is still on prilesec. e gave him one prilesec today, one carafate and one 250 mg flagyl.

Tests for pancreatic enzymes, B12 and SIBO take 7 - 10 days, they were done yesterday. Just put out food for Beau and Polli and they both took off in opposite directions. (I'm not concerned about Polli- she will eat later) but Beau won't.

When my cat stopped eating and I was syringe-feeding her, my vet prescribed valium. It was people-valium and by giving her a small dosage, it stimulated her appetite. It was almost immediate from the time I gave her the valium she would be (voluntarily) digging in and eat on her own.

Is this an option for dogs? I don't have any idea... but I thought I'd throw it out there... Perhaps run it by your vet and see if dogs have similar reaction (I don't know, dogs may not even be able to take valium).

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

When my cat stopped eating and I was syringe-feeding her, my vet prescribed valium. It was people-valium and by giving her a small dosage, it stimulated her appetite. It was almost immediate from the time I gave her the valium she would be (voluntarily) digging in and eat on her own.

Is this an option for dogs? I don't have any idea... but I thought I'd throw it out there... Perhaps run it by your vet and see if dogs have similar reaction (I don't know, dogs may not even be able to take valium).

Yes, they do use that as an appeite stim for cats and I found out during the 4th of July when I needed to sedate Polli- she ate like a FIEND. So, yes that worked for Polli but when we gave the other 3 valium, other than mellowing them out, it did nothing for them.

Robin, will he drink? When Emmy totally quit eating, she would still drink water so I took her food, blended it up with either chicken broth or ensure, made it really soupy and she would drink her food. You might try it just to see if it works.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

How underweight is he? ie what is his ideal weight and how low has he dropped?

He is currently below 62. (he was 62 yesterday) His ideal weight is 65 although he has never really gotten there. He's topped out at 64.5 but somehow he looks emaciated. Vet was surprised he weighed as much as he did. His racing weight is 63.5

Robin, will he drink? When Emmy totally quit eating, she would still drink water so I took her food, blended it up with either chicken broth or ensure, made it really soupy and she would drink her food. You might try it just to see if it works.

Sigh. Beau won't drink anything other than water. If it has lumps in it, he won't drink it.

Guest SueG201

Robin you need to PM me, I have some homepathic Hydrocortisone that my friend gave me

and it works wonders on stomach gurglies. I would be more than happy to send a few pills

your way. My greyhound had real bad giarrdia when I got her as a pup and it really screwed

up her digestive track, w hen she gets really bad I give her a pill, and within 45 mins her

stomach is calm. It is worth a try

Mirtazapine and cyproheptadine are both appetite stimulants that I have used on my hounds with varying levels of success, but I don't think that's your issue. I understand not wanting to go to the pred until you have bloodwork back and/or have done the biopsy - you may need to syringe or force feed until then.

One other food I have fed to picky hounds is Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance "roll" - it's packaged like a salami and smells really good, especially slightly warmed. It's what Carrie has eaten for the past couple of meals; we'll see how long that lasts. She won't eat the same thing more than 3-4 times, and then rarely eats enough to maintain, much less gain a few pounds. But that's my headache - been there, done that with all of my senior hounds.

I also repeat my offer of sending up some z/d - you don't have to worry about protein or carb being an issue, and it's not getting used here.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Robin :(:grouphug :grouphug

This may sound redundant, but have you tried nutritional yeast to see if it will stimulate his appetite? Will he eat it?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LindsaySF

Agreed. Once you get some food into them they usually begin eating on their own again. And Nutri-Cal paste always does wonders for Teagan when he tries to go on a hunger strike.

If they think it is still an inflammatory issue or IBS, I would put him on prednisone.

Before doing the biopsy, please try some Panacur.

Just put out food for Beau and Polli and they both took off in opposite directions. (I'm not concerned about Polli- she will eat later) but Beau won't.

Does this mean you are leaving food out for the dogs? How do you know Beau is not eating when you aren't looking?

~Lindsay~

If his stomach is rumbling, he's not feeling well and it doesn't surprise me that he's not eating. He's 2.5 pound below his "Ideal" weight.

I've never gotten Jet to an ideal weight and when she decides to skip a few days of eating, I just don't worry about it anymore. Once her stomach calms down, she starts to eat again.

As long as he's not losing a concerning amt of weight by not eating full meals, I wouldn't be as concerned about it.

Is your vet concerned that he's not eating full meals each time they are offered?

Agreed. Once you get some food into them they usually begin eating on their own again. And Nutri-Cal paste always does wonders for Teagan when he tries to go on a hunger strike.

If they think it is still an inflammatory issue or IBS, I would put him on prednisone.

Before doing the biopsy, please try some Panacur.

We did Drontal Plus, vet is done with that.

Just put out food for Beau and Polli and they both took off in opposite directions. (I'm not concerned about Polli- she will eat later) but Beau won't.

Does this mean you are leaving food out for the dogs? How do you know Beau is not eating when you aren't looking?

~Lindsay~

Nope, never. I was standing right there.

Spoke to vet again. She explained the whole bx thing to me and Dh so we have a much better understanding of it. We will not start the pred, if until after we bx as if it is lymphona we won't be able to do chemo and it's very treatable with chemo.

She said give him whatever he will eat. We have literally 40++ cans of ne foods, Raw packaged, and almpost every royal canin, Hills SD brand in addition to EVO, Wellness, PP Senstive, PP chicken Purina one and I'm sure there are a few I missed and the only thing I felt he would eat is chicken.

Vet said give him whatever he wants. Sure enough, gave him chicken and he eats it. She said if he gets explosive D, call her. He is off everything but prilisec and carafate for now.

Test results could be in as early as tomorrow. CBC was normal.

If his stomach is rumbling, he's not feeling well and it doesn't surprise me that he's not eating. He's 2.5 pound below his "Ideal" weight.

I've never gotten Jet to an ideal weight and when she decides to skip a few days of eating, I just don't worry about it anymore. Once her stomach calms down, she starts to eat again.

As long as he's not losing a concerning amt of weight by not eating full meals, I wouldn't be as concerned about it.

Is your vet concerned that he's not eating full meals each time they are offered?

it's not the weight per say, it's really the spine so prominint, his face looks sunken and his whole shape looks like he has lost more than he has. So many people have said, Wow, he's lost a lot of weight.

Up til 15 minutes ago, he was only licking whatever I put out maybe 3 times and would walk away, never to return. Vet said I should give him what he will eat- he ate chicken. We shall see if it irritates him again. I hope no, it's the only thing he likes.

He also has had D for a while and this has gotten progressively worse since Thanksgiving.

Guest myjazzy

Robin, does he like bread? When Darla was sick, I went through the same thing with trying to get her to eat. I tried all kinds of different things and she would eat something and then a while later turn her head at the same thing. One of the things she would take was bread. Even though he's not losing pounds, he's probably losing muscle mass, which is why he looks thinner. Just go through your fridge and see what he'll eat. It is very upsetting to have them not eat. :grouphug