Welcome Home, Joyce!

Guest Harry702

Guest Harry702

Well, it took almost two months and the efforts of many helpful greyhound-lovers, but our new brood mama, Joyce (racing name Okie Joyce), is home! As Donna and Teddy at Halfway Home promised, she's a sweetheart who adores people. Despite all the stress and upheaval of the last few days and weeks, she still wants little more than to burrow her head under your arm and get some lovin'

She had her first bath at home this morning, and while I can't say she loved it, I will say that she took it in stride. She walks well on a leash, but seems wary of other dogs, so we may have to catch up on some socialization skills.

We're a bit concerned that she's displays more interest in the cats than we'd like, but we're definitely going to give her some time to settle down a bit more before we start worrying too much. We may just have a lot of work and training ahead of us... we are so spoiled by Harry's "what cat?" attitude.

I tried to get a good picture of her, but she was a little stressed, so I didn't push too hard. Here she is on a walk with her new brother, Harry (she's the black gal in front)...

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

I'll try to get more pictures soon!

Congrats, guys! I can't wait to meet her!

Hope she settles in quickly for y'all!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Smiley-loveshower.gifSmiley-congrats.gifSmiley-loveshower.gif

She's beautiful!! :wub:

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Congrats!!! :yay

She doesn't look like a brood mom at all, look at that sleek black coat - gorgeous!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Joyce is sooo beautiful!!!!

Congratulations!!!!

:confetti :confetti :clap:yay

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

She is gorgeous! Congratulations!

Our Bootsy was VERY interested in our cat at first, but is now 99% trustworthy around the kitty. so don't give up!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest tobinhr

Our Bootsy was VERY interested in our cat at first, but is now 99% trustworthy around the kitty. so don't give up!

Yep. Joey went from being mildly interested to having them walk around her legs. Schnerf (the Fearless) tried to bat her when Joey walks by... :rolleyes:

Jan

Joey, who thinks the Evil Ones are built-in pests

Oh, what does Harry think of her so far???

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Harry702
Congrats!!! :yay

She doesn't look like a brood mom at all, look at that sleek black coat - gorgeous!

I know! She'll be 9 in March, can you believe that?! She has a little bit of salt and pepper going on on the top of her head and a bit mixed in on the rest of her, but the rest is glossy black. The only way you can tell she's an older gal is her teeth. Dear lord, her teeth are bad... with toxic breath to match! :lol She has a vet appointment on Monday and I'd be shocked if she doesn't need a dental...

Most of the foster dogs we've had have shown more interest in the cats than Harry (heck, Harry has almost no prey drive OUTDOORS), so we figure that he fits in with about .001% of greyhounds on the low prey drive scale... and we adopted Harry after he'd lived in a foster home with a cat for nearly 2 months. We definitely understand that she may just need to settle down, but it's a little disconcerting to see her stare at the cats with such intensity.

Oh, what does Harry think of her so far???

He's pretty good with her. So far, mostly disinterested. We've had a series of short term fosters, so he may just think she's yet another visitor. She's a bit of a whiner at this point, and it seems like that stresses him out a little... he'll usually head to another room if she gets too loud. Thanks to the alone training, she's getting a lot better with that. I really like her attitude, and I think that once everyone settles down and gets used to each other, everything will be great.