Help! Keena Is At The Vets

Guest tammymacb

Guest tammymacb

I brought Keena in for a dental today and even though she's still pretty young, I ALWAYS run the blood test to check her labs before anesthesia.

The vet called me back and said they hadn't done the dental yet. Her creatinine came back at 2.5 and normal is 0.5 to 1.8. The vet actually said that she's never seen such a high level in a dog before. Now she's saying it may be "normal" for Keena (GHs can run a higher level, apparently) but she wants to get a UA before anything else to determine more of her kidney function. Keena is ( of course) terrified and they can't get a urine sample. So, this is our plan, they're going to hydrate her, attempt to get urine and if everything is OK, we'll schedule the dental later on. I don't even want to think about the option. Kidney failure is NOT an option for us right now.

She's healthy, normal acting and has no health problems until today. I am sick to my stomach right now and if anyone has advice, I'd love it.

Guest GreytMuse

Sending good thoughts your way. :grouphug Hopefully all of Keena's bloodwork will come back GH normal.

Copied from Dr. Feeman's article on GHs, which addresses some of the kidney values:

Greyhound Bloodwork I:

Greyhounds can have high normal or mildly elevated BUN,

creatinine, and AST levels. Some veterinarians may falsely interpret some high normal

values as early kidney disease. If your Greyhound has high normal or just above normal

kidney values… ask your veterinarian to run a urinalysis. A urine specific gravity that is

>1.030 likely indicates that the blood levels are normal for the breed and not likely

caused by kidney disease. Diet, especially raw feeding, may also elevate the BUN and

creatinine. This can be screened for by fasting your Greyhound for 12-18 hours before

the blood draw.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/445/Grey...alth_Packet.pdf

If your vet doesn't have a copy of this health packet, I'd share it with him/her.

If I'm not mistaken, if the BUN and UA are okay, this doesn't mean kidney problems. That Creat is high but I don't think it's way off the chart. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

They won't be able to get a good specific gravity on the urinalysis if they hydrate her first.

2.5 isn't that high, tho. Is BUN normal?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If the BUN and everything else is normal, I wouldn't panic. Hopefully your vet is grey savvy and understands that this may be normal for her, if everything else is normal.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest tammymacb

She didn't mention her BUN. I'll call and check that.

According to the vets office ( vet was in a room ) her BUN is normal.

Edited by tammymacb

FWIW, Piper's creatinine is always about that high. His health and blood levels are watched and checked fairly often because of his epilepsy and the vet and I have decided, after 5 years, that that level just seems to be normal for Piper. Perhaps there is no need to be too worried.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest tammymacb

She's home. :)

They tested her urine later and the vet ( a new vet at the practice, very young but not my great old country vet ) decided she's fine. She just rolls like that. Anyway, I picked her up and we get to start off all over again tomorrow morning.

But, I can't tell you how happy I am to know she's healthy.

Guest gretzky
Sending good thoughts your way. :grouphug Hopefully all of Keena's bloodwork will come back GH normal.

Copied from Dr. Feeman's article on GHs, which addresses some of the kidney values:

Greyhound Bloodwork I:

Greyhounds can have high normal or mildly elevated BUN,

creatinine, and AST levels. Some veterinarians may falsely interpret some high normal

values as early kidney disease. If your Greyhound has high normal or just above normal

kidney values… ask your veterinarian to run a urinalysis. A urine specific gravity that is

>1.030 likely indicates that the blood levels are normal for the breed and not likely

caused by kidney disease. Diet, especially raw feeding, may also elevate the BUN and

creatinine. This can be screened for by fasting your Greyhound for 12-18 hours before

the blood draw.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/445/Grey...alth_Packet.pdf

If your vet doesn't have a copy of this health packet, I'd share it with him/her.

Just an FYI...Dr. Feeman updated the packet but I couldn't find the update on Greyhound Data.

Try here

Updated packet-2008

Guest Greensleeves

Also, for anyone still wondering, your vet should be able to draw urine directly from the bladder with a syringe, if she won't oblige him by peeing on her own (Nelly never would). They have to do this regularly to test for bladder infections, to make sure that the bacteria is in the bladder itself, not the urinary tract... so I would expect any vet to know this, and not wait until the dog willingly pees on her own. :rolleyes:

Good grief. For a dog needing a dental that is not high. What is her BUN?

I've had them at 2.3 not needing a dental.

Don't really know what the Creatine level and "needing a dental" have to do with each other but, the BUN and Creatine can be elevated when a dog has been fasted-- Greyhounds run a higher pack cell and higher renal values to begin with. Definitely wait a few days and then obtain the first morning urine to send in for a specific gravity test.

Guest greytkidsmom
Anyway, I picked her up and we get to start off all over again tomorrow morning.

This is why I insist on having any pre-anesthesia labs drawn a day or two before the scheduled procedure. First, the dog is not in a fasting or dehydrated state which can skew the kidney values. Second, my two boys have normally elevated creatinines which usually triggers the follow-up urinanalysis. Third, it saves my dogs from the stress of spending an unnecessary day at the vets if a procedure was cancelled.

I am so glad to hear that Keena is okay. Good luck with her dental.