Bootsy Has "soft Serve" Poopie

Bootsy has the big D. Well not really the big D, more like, as my husband calls it, "soft serve."

We were transitioning him from his foster food (Canidae I think) to California Natural lamb & rice, which is what we always fed Argos. I thought that might be the culprit, so I stopped giving kibble. On Friday morning I skipped breakfast and then for dinner he had boiled rinsed hamburger and brown rice. He had the same thing for breakfast and lunch yesterday. He hasn't had breakfast yet today because his wellness visit to the vet is this morning.

We're going to take his poop with us to make sure there isn't anything wrong, but I'm looking for some advice and ideas for how to clear this up.

We're also trying to put some weight on him.

Thanks!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Try adding metamucil or BeneFiber to his diet.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

This was always normal when I transitioned over. Do the 25% for 3 or 4 days of the transisiton. 25% of the new food with the old food for 4 days, then add a little more etc. The slower, the better.

If you are going to use rice for runny poop, use white rice, it's more binding.

Were his poops OK prior to the change over? If so, you just need to do it slower OR it's not the food for him and I would just keep him on the Candae which is a good food.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He was good for the first six weeks or so on Canidae. I actually was giving him metamucil wafers with rice and his kibble at first when his poop got soft just after xmas. But it had no effect so I started on the bland diet. And he was only on it for about 2 days before you guys picked him up.

(the last foster was never quite right but he was only with me for 12 days, I suspect he had a poultry problem but I can't see that being Bootsy's problem).

Edited by Pepperjack

Guest BlackandBrindle

Personally I'd leave him on a bland diet for about a week then I'd slowly add the kibble you want him to be eating in.

Pumpkin gave Manlow the massive runs and Target was getting diarrhea when he was stressed so I don't suggest pumpkin anymore. We've never seen any appreciable improvement using it.

Instead of brown rice, try white rice or even sweet potatoes. That helped Spud keep up weight and they love it.

I'd say it's probably just nerves right now but it can't hurt to help his tummy heal a bit faster with a bland diet.

I would keep him on Canidae but it's too hard to find around here. Argos also had soft poop when we first got him and it took months to firm it up. Pumpkin helped, which I forgot about - thanks for the reminder. And he did great on Nutro and California Natural lamb & rice, so I wanted to try that with Bootsy also.

Mary Jo I hadn't thought of sweet potatoes - do you use canned, or do you cook fresh ones?

PJ thanks for the info. I meant to ask you all of that and in my excitement to take Bootsy home I forgot. :)

Guest BlackandBrindle

We do fresh.

Basically what I do is get the leanest ground beef or chicken or whathave you and cook that. I skim the fat off and then I add the sweet potato chunks with just enough water to cover.

It works that the water gets cooked off and then I just mush it all together. When I do homecooking for Sadie this is a big favorite (I add things too, but for bland less is better :) )

Guest BooandCalisMom

My kids also love sweet potatoes. I boil the hell out of them and then mash them up! I do a big batch at a time and they love it.

Guest SLM4956
We has Soft serve poo too!!! :blink: We actually had some sort of tummy parasites and are getting frimer now with medications for the little critters!

This poor guy. I feel so bad for him. I know he's hungry for more than this boring beef & rice so I'll get sweet potatoes tonight. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Guest AaronsMom

If you don't want to do a lot of special cooking, etc, one suggestion: the only thing that helped my boy (after trying 4 other foods) was Dick Van Patten's Venison & Sweet Potato - a "Limited ingredient diet" food (Aaron might be a bit allergic to grains). No problem since, and the transition was very quick - poo firmed up the first day so I transitioned quickly. Problem is he doesn't like it all that much, but when I add just a teenie bit of something else (boiled chicken, or boiled/washed burger cooked in some warm water) he eats it just fine. The only problem with the DVP food is that it is VERY expensive..... good luck.