Someone Ate Aluminum Foil

I don't know who. Could have been any one or more than one of five greyhounds. I baked a steak in a 7x11 pan Thursday and used a piece of foil below and one above. Hounds have never opened the trash before (it has a closed top and is stuck behind a table and chairs, where I thought they couldn't get it - ha!). I came home after 2+ hours out today and found the trash tipped over, coffee grounds everywhere, and one of the two pieces of foil gone. The one not eaten was the top piece which had little grease on it. The bottom piece was full of grease (as my floor and their bed will attest).

I suspect that whoever ate it took their time and chewed it into tiny pieces, based on the large, greasy wet spot on the dog bed. It could also have been several someones. I don't really think I should bring them all to the vet at this stage, although some of the things I've heard about aluminum foil consumption make me worry. In total, the flat sheet would have been about 8 inches by 13 or 14 inches.

Just watch them? Feed them bread? Call the vet? I will know not to put smelly things like that in the indoor trash anymore. I know it was tempting, didn't even think about it, honestly. :huh

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Meri,

various foil types consumed by various dogs over the year and you know how many that has been, lol.

all came out, well... sparkly.

But none quite as large as that. If you notice any one in discomfort perhaps a vist to the e-vet is needed.

(foil wrapper of two regular size nestles crunch bars, various stolen cupcake or muffin things)

I would feed them as it would move things along. Then roll up the newspaper and whack ya self on the head. B)

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Bread can't hurt. I wouldn't rush off to the vet unless anyone is showing symptoms.

A quick web search turned up the *possibility* of the aluminum foil cutting the intestines, but if it was throughly chewed I doubt that would be a risk, but no warnings about toxicity.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Hokiebuck

I read/heard somewhere to feed them milk soaked cotton balls, if it comes out red then there's some bleeding. I wonder if anyone else heard of this? Not sure if I would do it for multiple hounds..that just means you have to watch every poop and account for each dog.

ANyone else heard of this tactic?

Guest paulamariez

Our first greyhound Chief ate a bag of milk chocolate pumpkins including the foil they were wrapped in. The vet had us with hold food for like 24 hours and was more concerned with the tin foil that Chief ate rather than the chocolate. It did have something to do with making sure that the foil came out in his poops because he didn't want it getting stuck in his intestines or something. It was years ago, I wish I could remember more. I might give your vet a call just to be sure if it was a significant amount of foil. I know there was some reason that the vet was concerned with the foil that Chief ate. Hope everything comes out ok. By way, just to make you feel better, Chief was very much OK after this incident. There was no problem after he ate it. Little pieces came out in his poop.

Edited by paulamariez

Meri,

can you check everyone's gums to see if you see any cuts or any tell-tale foil stuck between teeth? Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to determine who the culprit was.

Good luck. Hope everything comes out all right :unsure:blush

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

How is everyone this morning? I think I'd be watching for some loose movements too because of the grease!

Well, it appears to have been Nico. Most of the foil has come up or out... he's not blocked and after tossing his proverbial cookies very early this morning and leaving an extremely shiny pile, seems to be feeling just fine. No stomach tenderness, no unusual behavior now. So, I am going to keep an eye on him, but I think the worst is over. I am not, however, going to lay out the foil to check and see how much has been "reassembled". It's all in very tiny pieces.

Thanks for your responses, everyone, and your concern.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Guest Heath_Bar

Meri - sounds like you're in the clear, I'll keep my fingers crossed! Heath ate the majority of the aluminum tube of doggy toothpaste months ago, which I'd venture is far more solid than your foil. Other than shiny poop and one cough up of bits he was a-ok. I did not withhold food as I was told that it was better to ensure he was passing everything.

Never a dull moment :colgate .

-nat

Glad to hear Nico's fine. I'd like to say maybe he learned his lesson, but in my experience that's never the case with dogs.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.