Growth/infection On Gum?

I just noticed a red growth and bleeding on Quiet Man's gum. I was not able to get a clear photo of it, this is the best I could do. The tooth that is yellow/black that it's on has a slab fracture on it from years ago that the vet has looked at and seemed fine, although discolored. His gums do bleed back there sometimes when I brush which I admit is not very often, and that's the only reason I discovered this so I don't know how long it's been there. With it being Christmas Eve the earliest I could call my vet is on Friday. I'm just wondering if any one had any thoughts as to what it might be. I'm hoping just a bad case of gingivitis and not a tumor of some sort, although it does look like it is growing out of the gum and onto the tooth :(

DSCF0005.jpg

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

i think I would definitely get the red growth checked out. It could be a benign lump but just to put your mind at rest I would go to vet.

On another similar thread, my old german pointer has very bad gums and her canine were black near the gum area. I can't brush her teeth as her gums bleed so badly and she is too old to risk GA. I heard about neem bark and thought I would try it. I only used it on 1 side and left the other side as a guide. We were amazed that after only 4 days we notice one tooth is still black & goggy where as the other tooth that is having neem bark is just a pale cream and slightly stained, all black plague & infectious rubbish has gone. All I do is dip my finger in the bark & place on the tooth near the gum, no rubbing needed. It is truly amazing

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Definitely a good idea to have it looked at by your vet. Could just be inflammation or could be an abscess. Your vet will be able to get him squared away, I'm sure. :)

Guest wmlcml6

I would get that checked out by the vet. At his age, you should also consider using a Water Pik to clean his teeth every day.

Edited by wmlcml6

Jen if it comes to QM needing anesthesia I would highly suggest Sutton Animal Hospital. Dr. Jill & her colleage are very experienced with greyhounds as you know. It's hard to tell but maybe some antibiotics will help clear that up nicely. Merry Christmas by the way!!

Sending prayers this is just a little inflammation that will clear up on a short course of antibiotics. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest chaoran22

my greyhound had a growth - it wasn't bleeding or red though...it looked just like his normal gums except that it was a big lump on the gum so it might be different than what your dog has. it was a benign tumor called an epulid (or epulis as it's sometimes spelled i think). we had it removed and got a dental at the same time - the gum around it had to all be cut away. it was also on that same large molar like your grey. it is often caused by gingivitis - we're brushing everyday religiously now, but it did grow back and we just saw the vet last week for it. the vet said that it's likely to grow back b/c there is bone loss underneath that spot but since it's benign it's not a big deal. They just took it out that first time to make sure it was benign. The problem is there are also lots of tumors dogs can get that aren't benign that are a lot worse so you definitely want to get it taken out and biopsied since it's bleeding and looks bad, it might be cancerous. not to freak you out or anything but you should definitely get it checked out.

Jen if it comes to QM needing anesthesia I would highly suggest Sutton Animal Hospital. Dr. Jill & her colleage are very experienced with greyhounds as you know. It's hard to tell but maybe some antibiotics will help clear that up nicely. Merry Christmas by the way!!

When I lived in that area, she would only see existing patients, and I couldn't get Daisy in as a new patient.

FWIW,

DD

PS Happy Holidays to you and QM. Please give Rosie and QM a kiss for me.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Good news, my vet doesn't think it's a tumor, but an overgrowth of the gum onto his bad tooth (gingival hyperplasia?). He does need a dental and will have the growth removed and gums cut back and possibly lose that tooth, so I'm nervous about the dental of course, but relieved that it's most likely not cancerous or anything like that.

Thanks for the referral Patty.

Donna I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full :)

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Good news!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Ladyluther

Jen and QM,

I hope all will be well soon. I did want to second Patty's recommendation Re: Sutton Animal Hospital. Dr. Jill is a very caring vet with a ton of Greyhound experience. When Luther had some nasty corns she was the one who fixed it by hulling them with a "dental root plane"???I think that's what it was..it was lonnnggg before that method was practiced by other vets...

It's a bit of a ride out there, but worth the trip.

Martha and Luther