I Think I Own The Baldest Greyhound Ever

Guest twhitehouse

Guest twhitehouse

So we adopted Lexi in July of this year. When we got her, she was BALD.

However, even now...she doesn't have much hair. She grew a tiny bit back on her butt. But she is still hairless on her neck, chest, stomach, inside front and back legs, butt and thighs. Also, the hair that she does have is a very thin coat compared to the other greyhounds I know. Whenever, we go to our weekly meet up so she can run with other hounds people always say she is the baldest greyhound they've ever seen. I've given her fish oil and it helped grow a little hair back on her butt like I mentioned and that's it.

Why is my girl so bald? Is there something more I can do that isn't going to break the bank? Could there be something else causing it besides just bald thigh syndrome? The vet didn't seem very concerned and just said it was BTS.

I'm probably just an overly worried mom!

Here are some pictures to show you though:

Her Butt:

IMG_1333.jpg

Neck and Chest:

IMG_1672.jpg

Stomach:

IMG_1529.jpg

My Teddy is like that. They definitely are not the baldest. GAA place 2 brothers who were completely hairless!

Teddy's hiney.

sept10002.jpg

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest LokisMom

It could potentially be thyroid issues but those are so often misdiagnosed in greyhounds that I wouldn't bother with it unless you are getting other symptoms. If your vet is not worried, then she is probably fine.

She doesn't look that bad to me.

Guest jettcricket
My Teddy is like that. They definitely are not the baldest. GAA place 2 brothers who were completely hairless!

Teddy's hiney.

sept10002.jpg

And what a cute hiney!!!

Wayne is the same way and always has been. He has no medical issues, well, other than food allergies, but no thyroid issue at all. As long as there is no medical problem I wouldn't worry about it. Your girl is beautiful!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest twhitehouse

Well I guess the next time someone make a comment at the meet up, I'll just have to say...

"She likes it that way...it's better to show off her cute butt to all the handsome houndies" (she's usually the only girl there!)

:P

Maybe we need two more clubs, for bald-butt greyhounds and fuzzy-butt greyhounds respectively. My girl has way longer hair on her butt than any other part-- it sticks off in a little peak and has cute little whorls on both cheeks. It's funny what a variable part it is within the breed!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Both my greyhound boys have bald thighs, bald butts, bald bellies and bald necks. I've had Lucius since April and Timmy since June. Lucius has extremely thin fur so even where he has fur toward those areas you can see through it. Bot the boys are healthy they just...like being bald I guess. :lol

Guest caiteag

She looks just like my Choo Choo in terms of baldness. I have spoken with my vet about it, and the wonderful woman who owns Choo's mother... and we all believe the baldness is simply hereditary in her case and nothing to be concerned about. Choo has been home 2.5 years and she has never grown anymore fur in. The only thing we find is that she gets cold even easier than other greys, so she is constantly wearning jammies in the winter and t-shirts in the warmer weather.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer is pretty bald too but he was worse until he got his thyroid tested and then put on thyroid meds. He now gets some hair back on his thighs in the winter although his tummy has always stayed bald. You might want to have your girls' thyroid checked.

When I saw your pictures of Lexi (who, by the way, is adorable), I thought to myself, wow, her belly and butt are as bald as Toby's belly and butt are.

Then I looked down at your sig and see that Toby and Lexi are related! Half siblings! Both Kiowa Sweet Trey babies.

We love the bald belly and butt. It's nice and warm to snuggle up against and you can make some really good raspberry sounds against their bellies when they have no hair. (I hope you guys don't think my family is weird for doing that!) :lol

Toby's bald belly and butt goodness:

may08bed-40.jpg

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

That's my Josh. Naked as baby bird. He loves his jammies.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest myjazzy

Gem is also bald, and the skin underneath her coat is really soft and thin. She's hypothyroid, but although her coat is much healthier when she's on thyroid medication, the baldness doesn't go away. I was looking at pedigrees of some of the bald kids mentioned and I found Kelly Jones and Onie Jones as a common ancestor in the threeI looked at. Does your bald child have Kelly Jones or/and Onie Jones in his/her pedigree?

ETA: To add Onie Jones

Edited by myjazzy

Then I looked down at your sig and see that Toby and Lexi are related! Half siblings! Both Kiowa Sweet Trey babies.

You can their half-brother Conor to the list: KST is his daddy too & Conor is just as bald as Lexi & Toby! I've been rubbing his naked parts since I got him in July & so far no hair growth. :rolleyes: I would expecially like some growth over his throat - I need really soft collars for him.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

You can their half-brother Conor to the list: KST is his daddy too & Conor is just as bald as Lexi & Toby! I've been rubbing his naked parts since I got him in July & so far no hair growth. :rolleyes: I would expecially like some growth over his throat - I need really soft collars for him.

That's cool! Toby does have hair on his throat area. And to answer another poster's question, I see on Greyhound-data that Kelly Jones is Kiowa Sweet Trey's great great great grandpa. And Onie Jones was Toby's mom's (Mercury) great great great grandpa.

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest twhitehouse

If you look at the picture of Kiowa Sweet Trey on greyhound data...he looks pretty bald also. Guess we can blame it on the dad!! :lol

I would also like some hair on her throat. She's completely bald there. What do you buy for collars? I just usually make sure they are lined.

My boy has very fine fur and is fairly bald on his neck, stomach and butt. With him being white in colour it stands out a lot, goes pink of an evening if he's warm(ish)......

But that's just his genetics how he is. My normal healthy boy :beatheart

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean
When I saw your pictures of Lexi (who, by the way, is adorable), I thought to myself, wow, her belly and butt are as bald as Toby's belly and butt are.

We love the bald belly and butt. It's nice and warm to snuggle up against and you can make some really good raspberry sounds against their bellies when they have no hair. (I hope you guys don't think my family is weird for doing that!) :lol

Weird?? Here? We love to get Josey all worked up with raspberries on her belly. When we do it her legs start thrashing around and she air snaps! The she rolls over for more ;)

If you look at the picture of Kiowa Sweet Trey on greyhound data...he looks pretty bald also. Guess we can blame it on the dad!! :lol

I would also like some hair on her throat. She's completely bald there. What do you buy for collars? I just usually make sure they are lined.

I make sure the lining covers all parts of the nylon webbing, that it folds up & over the webbing & under the outer ribbon. Satin & other really soft linings are best. He doesn't have too much of a collar wardrobe yet - working on it. ;)

I think we can definitely blame their daddy - Conor is also a red brindle. However my boy is a wee one at 64 lbs - I think his mom is to blame there (KST is 80 lbs).

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest twhitehouse
I think we can definitely blame their daddy - Conor is also a red brindle. However my boy is a wee one at 64 lbs - I think his mom is to blame there (KST is 80 lbs).

Lexi is also small...only 52 lbs.

Guest ArtysPeople
Well I guess the next time someone make a comment at the meet up, I'll just have to say...

"She likes it that way...it's better to show off her cute butt to all the handsome houndies" (she's usually the only girl there!)

:P

I'm sorry, I'm one of the people who has commented that she's the nudest hound I've ever seen. :blush But she is a total doll, so what's a few little bald patches? As I mentioned at the play date, Arty grew a lot of fur back that first year, especially on his stomach, but he's still got a bald-as-bald-can-be chest; you just don't notice it as much because his skin/fur is white there. :kiss2 to Lexi

We've had several different collars, and the only one that lets Arty grow any fur on his neck is a velvet one from Silk Road.

Weird?? Here? We love to get Josey all worked up with raspberries on her belly. When we do it her legs start thrashing around and she air snaps! The she rolls over for more ;)

Oh my gosh, how sweet! :wub:

Edited by ArtysPeople