Flashy's Check Up Today...

He is doing well...mouth looks good...NO BONES for at least another week...he has a lot of sutures. His weight is stable at 76 pounds. :)

I have a question...in Flashy's take home dental packet he had many goodies...also a booklet regarding the Porphyromonas Bacterin Vaccine. I know that they told me that some owners request it but not many. I told Dr. Beth I am uncomfortable with it and she understood and said it is just something they add to the dental packets and that they will discuss the pros and cons if there is any interest in the vaccine by pet owners. Has anyone had any experience with this vaccine? Thanks! :) OH...and the Flashman was KNOT brave! :rolleyes:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Deer Flashy,

Ah conkur wiff Wayne. He nos wot he is talking abowt. Ah em shore yu wuz bery brave, yur mummy juss duz KNOT rear lies how trommatik it is to go to da vetimarian and be torchured like dat.

Harumph!

Yur frend,

... Merlin. :colgate

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Thanx two ma frendz. Eye thaut eye wuz brabe. Eye mean eye dint poo or pee maself in dare. Eye dew KNOT likez da perbertz dokkers wif dare toolz dat day stick placess dat day haf know biznez ebben lookin at lett alonez touchin. Da bad newz iz know bonez fer da Flashman fer anobber hole weekz. :angryfire Da good newz iz...know teefie brushin fer a hole week. :P

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

Flashman, we keep trying to think of something you could have that won't hurt your little toofers.It's a tough one. And you tell that vetmaniac to stay away from places they do KNOT belong. The nerve!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Awww Flashy, Lee thinks you were very brave. All he does when he goes to the vet is shake and whine a little. He is so brave. He could be acting out like some we see. The humans are dragging the dog in by the leash or getting angry that the dog doesn't want to go in. Lee is a big boy and he will go in but I know he would love to be doing a million other things. If you didn't pee or poo yourself then you were very brave indeed. Can you have mooshies? Maybe mommy or daddy would get you a mooshie for being brave. Oh, and Lee is also black and in your corner. Lee wants me to tell everyone, "Black dogs rule!", but just don't tell Molly or Bandit. Boomer is also black so it's the majority here. :lol

Flashman! Does your mummy use chicken flavored toothpaste? I used it on Merlin and he lubs it. :D

No bones??? What an outrage! :angryfire

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Interesting...I'm assuming from what I see online that it's too late to give this once gum disease has already begun? I'd be tempted, because one of my hounds has lost an awful lot of teeth despite my regular brushing, and I worry about systemic health effects of gum disease on my hounds. If it could save them some dental cleanings under anesthesia, I'd see it as a very good thing.

The side effects of the dental vaccine can be pretty harsh. A number of vets are recommending to give it a pass unless the reasons for using it are pretty strong. Of course, greys tend to have rotten mouths. The (more expensive) solutions include not feeding large amounts of carbohydrates.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Any man brave enough to wear pink is and always will be the manliest of the manly men! Flashy, you're my hero! All that invasive examinatin' and no bones! The audacity of it all!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Flashman! Does your mummy use chicken flavored toothpaste? I used it on Merlin and he lubs it. :D

No bones??? What an outrage! :angryfire

Yeeez...ma Mommy uzez poulatree toofpaste. Herz rubbin sum of it on ma gumz an teefs wif herz finnger an eye liek dat...eye jus dun liek da toofbrush. :blush

Any man brave enough to wear pink is and always will be the manliest of the manly men! Flashy, you're my hero! All that invasive examinatin' and no bones! The audacity of it all!

Thanx sew mush. Eye haf a pink baybee two. :blush

Awww Flashy, Lee thinks you were very brave. All he does when he goes to the vet is shake and whine a little. He is so brave. He could be acting out like some we see. The humans are dragging the dog in by the leash or getting angry that the dog doesn't want to go in. Lee is a big boy and he will go in but I know he would love to be doing a million other things. If you didn't pee or poo yourself then you were very brave indeed. Can you have mooshies? Maybe mommy or daddy would get you a mooshie for being brave. Oh, and Lee is also black and in your corner. Lee wants me to tell everyone, "Black dogs rule!", but just don't tell Molly or Bandit. Boomer is also black so it's the majority here. :lol

Hmmmm....mooshies.....YES...Eye will assk Mommy if eye can haf sum. Lee iz write...wee rule! B)

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Dere Flashman

I yam berree glad yuz is home an dat yu were a berree brabe houndee at da vetaminarian. I liks ma dokter, but I do KNOT liks goin to da vetaminarian. Derz leetl yappers and cats an loud peepl in da leetl room where yu wait an its too crowded. I liks ma space! Yu shud use dis disabilitashun to yuz adbantage. No bonees, but yuz shud gets mooshies an Ise Kweem ebberee day until yuz can habs bonees agin.

I tink yu an me an Wayne an Lee and Boomer an da odders shud mak our own club. Da "Black Dogs Rule" club or da BDR fur shorts.

Pees on Erth

Dude :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Dere Flashman

I yam berree glad yuz is home an dat yu were a berree brabe houndee at da vetaminarian. I liks ma dokter, but I do KNOT liks goin to da vetaminarian. Derz leetl yappers and cats an loud peepl in da leetl room where yu wait an its too crowded. I liks ma space! Yu shud use dis disabilitashun to yuz adbantage. No bonees, but yuz shud gets mooshies an Ise Kweem ebberee day until yuz can habs bonees agin.

I tink yu an me an Wayne an Lee and Boomer an da odders shud mak our own club. Da "Black Dogs Rule" club or da BDR fur shorts.

Pees on Erth

Dude :D

Dude...yew iz sew write! Wee shuld dew a black iz beeautiful club or sumpin like dat...eye like BDR two!

Da Flashman!

Usethisone.jpg

Guest VanillaBean

I have 2 of my iggies on the vaccine right now. One will be 9 in February and has lost at least 6 teeth---just because he has rotten teeth! My other one is 4 and she just lost 3 teeth to rot. Soooooo, I figured if they had that nasty of a problem I would give it a try. 5 dogs + 5 dentals = 1 broke mommy!

The 4 year old got hives from her vaccination so had to treat with benadryl.

The 9 year old has not had to have a dental yet and he would have been due. He used to get 2 a year his teeth are so bad.

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo has had the vaccine and two boosters. He has miserable gum disease and needs a dental every 6-9 months. After the first dose/booster, we went 13 months between dentals. It has been about 5 months since that dental and it looks like he needs one again already. His toothbrush is soaked in blood after each brushing.

I don't know if the success after the first dose was a fluke or evidence that the vaccine worked. My current vet (we moved) does not really recommend it. I can tell you that he had no adverse effects with any of the doses he got.

Feel better soon, Flashy. We all agree that you have been a very brave boy.