Callie - Toe Amp Tomorrow

My poor baby girl has been suffering from a fungal infection in her toe for a while now. The meds haven't helped and she is really bothered by it. She's at the point where she is holding up her foot and doing a lot of whining. So, tomorrow, we're going to have the last joint of her toe taken off. She should feel a lot better and we'll miss it more than she will.

So, please think good thoughts for my pretty girl.

Robin - Cordova (Memphis), TN

Argus (BB's Turbo) #86152 Oswald Cobblepot X Hilary Pride

Butler (GoodOleBoyRoy) #92232 Castor Troy X Princess Josie

Bridge Angel Callie (Tom S Macaroon) #87886 Black Streaker X Tom S Megan, April 15, 2000 - November 3, 2012

Guest 4gryhnds
My poor baby girl has been suffering from a fungal infection in her toe for a while now. The meds haven't helped and she is really bothered by it. She's at the point where she is holding up her foot and doing a lot of whining. So, tomorrow, we're going to have the last joint of her toe taken off. She should feel a lot better and we'll miss it more than she will.

I was wondering what her infection looks like. Rocky had a problem with his toe nail. It became very large and crusty looking. The vet did not think that it was a fungus. He had told me that he could amputate his toe and send it in to the lab. I chose not to have it amputated because of Rocky's age and his health. It seemed to bother him most if my other guys would step on it. Last weekend, the nail "exploded" leaving the nail along with his first knuckle hanging by a thread. It was awful. Dr. Eli snipped it off, and Rocky seems to being doing very well considering his other issues.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing for Callie. In hindsight, if I would have known then what I know now, I would have had the surgery.

I will keep Callie in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes

I was wondering what her infection looks like. Rocky had a problem with his toe nail. It became very large and crusty looking. The vet did not think that it was a fungus. He had told me that he could amputate his toe and send it in to the lab. I chose not to have it amputated because of Rocky's age and his health. It seemed to bother him most if my other guys would step on it. Last weekend, the nail "exploded" leaving the nail along with his first knuckle hanging by a thread. It was awful. Dr. Eli snipped it off, and Rocky seems to being doing very well considering his other issues.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing for Callie. In hindsight, if I would have known then what I know now, I would have had the surgery.

I will keep Callie in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes

Thanks. Her quick is mottled brown, instead of pink (she's got white nails) and the nail itself is kind of split and peeling. When he saw her last week, he x-rayed the toe and the infection wasn't in the bone as he feared, but her toe was enflamed. Today, her quick is so swollen, it looks like it is going to burst through her nail. Truly, with all of her discomfort and lack of resolution from the meds, I think the surgery is the best bet as this has been getting progressively worse for a couple of months now.

Bridge Angel Callie (Tom S Macaroon) #87886 Black Streaker X Tom S Megan, April 15, 2000 - November 3, 2012

Lots of prayers and good thoughts for sweet Callie. Please update when you can.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

You might have a better result if you took the whole toe rather than just the last joint - I just went through this with Romi, and that's the advice I got for him here. His was the inner- most toe, so not a weight bearing toe, and after doing pathology on it, they found it was squamous cell cancer, so I'm really glad we took the whole thing off. Low rate of mets, so we should be just fine. They really do well afterwards.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Aww Robin...holler if you need anything, I'm not that far away. You know she's in the best of hands so you don't need to worry. They'll take really good care of her. A little secret that works for mine, tell Callie she's going to the day spa...they love it!

Sending prayers for your sweet baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

If it's a weight bearing toe you should have them take more than the last joint. The stub that's left can bang against the ground when they're walking/running and cause even more problems. Not sure about a non-weight-bearing toe but I imagine the issues can be the same.

She'll be just fine afterward. Dude doesn't even know it's gone - he walks and runs and plays and scratches his ear with his back toe-amputated foot just like normal.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Prayers for Callie on the way! :hope:hope:hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest GREYTGLITTER

Prayers and Healing thoughts to Callie.

Gigi had to have a rear toe amputated 3 months after we got her this year. I cannot believe the difference in her now She feels sooo much better and we're the only ones that can even tell which toe was amputated. We can only wonder how much pain she really was in or how long she had the pain :unsure

Keeping a little sock on her foot to protect the stitches was more of a challenge with her :colgate . You may want to buy some baby socks :D

Thanks, Everyone, for the well wishes. I spoke with my vet and Callie did well during surgery. He removed her entire toe and she'll be spending the night there. I'll be able to get her tomorrow. Thanks again. I'm sure my Boo will be back to her old happy self in no time!

:hehe

I guess he told you she was the best greyhound he's ever operated on.....he's such a smooth talker.

I'm so glad she's okay...you call me if you need anything or any help!

I am very sorry I just now saw this, I am very happy to hear that the surgery was successful. I pray the recovery is quick. :grouphug:hope :hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter