My Poor Doonie Girl...can Someone Please Help?

Guest dofarrel

Guest dofarrel

I have an 11.5 year old greyhound who has an inoperable bone tumor on her shoulder. She started limping a bit and the assumption was she was starting to get arthritis at that age. An aspirin a day and glucosamine helped at first, and she didn't appear to be in much discomfort except first thing in the mornging. She is still happy and energetic and eating well, and as long as she is I want keep her as comfortable as possible until she tells me she's had enough.

She has been prescribed Previcox (227 mg) and I have noticed a dramatic improvement - especially the first few hours after she gets her dose. She still doesn't want to put any weight on that leg, but otherwise is mostly back to her old self. The problem is, the dosage appears to wear off after about 15-18 hours, and then she seems to be in pain again.

Does anyone know if it is ok to split the dosage in half and give her 113.5 mg twice daily? I know that greyhound metabolism is different than other dogs, and I am wondering if she is metabolizing the medication faster than other dogs. I just want to make whatever time she has left as comfortable as possible. There are no real greyhound expert vets in my area, so I am hoping someone here can help.

Dave

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 11.5 year old greyhound who has an inoperable bone tumor on her shoulder. She started limping a bit and the assumption was she was starting to get arthritis at that age. An aspirin a day and glucosamine helped at first, and she didn't appear to be in much discomfort except first thing in the mornging. She is still happy and energetic and eating well, and as long as she is I want keep her as comfortable as possible until she tells me she's had enough.

She has been prescribed Previcox (227 mg) and I have noticed a dramatic improvement - especially the first few hours after she gets her dose. She still doesn't want to put any weight on that leg, but otherwise is mostly back to her old self. The problem is, the dosage appears to wear off after about 15-18 hours, and then she seems to be in pain again.

Does anyone know if it is ok to split the dosage in half and give her 113.5 mg twice daily? I know that greyhound metabolism is different than other dogs, and I am wondering if she is metabolizing the medication faster than other dogs. I just want to make whatever time she has left as comfortable as possible. There are no real greyhound expert vets in my area, so I am hoping someone here can help.

Dave

I just called my vet and you should just give what you vet said. to much could kill your dog be careful with this drug if you have any more help I will call my vet up I can call him any time of day or night he my brother law and I will help you as much as I can

Pam

Guest dofarrel
I just called my vet and you should just give what you vet said. to much could kill your dog be careful with this drug if you have any more help I will call my vet up I can call him any time of day or night he my brother law and I will help you as much as I can

Pam

Pam,

Thanks - my vet was fairly firm on the dosage...but his clinic doesn't see a lot of greys. I was hoping for another answer from an experienced greyhound owner. Thanks for checking with your vet, it is much appreciated. She is certainly not suffering a great deal during the hours as the dose wears off, but she does get whiny and needs comforting. Still has that waggy tail, so I guess it will be a day to day monitoring and maybe a trip back if the dose starts to wear off faster or have less effect.

This is going to be tough, and hearing her whine just breaks my heart. Can't stop the tears for the last few days.

Dave

I will keep your girl in my prayers.I would discuss what's going on with your vet. Because remember, we may all have Greys, but we don't know your girl's history, your vet does. Wishing you both comfort

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytexplorer

Hi Dave,

My Mandy is 11 yrs old, and she takes 1/2 tablet of Previcox 227 every day for arthritis.

And as you say, it is very dramatic!

A grey-savvy vet that I know told me that I can safely up the dose to 1 full tablet during the colder months (when arthritis usually gets worse).

Does this information help?

Mandy weighs about 65 lbs.

hugs for your pup,

~Pat

Sending my many prayers. Please talk to your vet. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

For maximum benefit to a dog with osteosarcoma you should be giving another medicine in combination with this one. The important thing is to keep your dog comfortable. Don't worry too much about the side effects. Previcox is a great drug but I always prescribe an additional med to go with it.

Guest smarthound

Please contact Dr. Couto and/or his staff at Ohio State University. They have an amazing program for greyhounds and will provide your veterinarian with information about pain meds and dosages that work for greys. In some cases, they will even donate medications for treatment. Dr. Couto and his staff are also involved about cancer in greyhounds. This is a wonderful program and tremendous benefit for greyhound owners. You can phone them at 614-247-6757.

Ohio State University greyhound program

Guest TBSFlame

Pam

Pam,

Thanks - my vet was fairly firm on the dosage...but his clinic doesn't see a lot of greys. I was hoping for another answer from an experienced greyhound owner. Thanks for checking with your vet, it is much appreciated. She is certainly not suffering a great deal during the hours as the dose wears off, but she does get whiny and needs comforting. Still has that waggy tail, so I guess it will be a day to day monitoring and maybe a trip back if the dose starts to wear off faster or have less effect.

This is going to be tough, and hearing her whine just breaks my heart. Can't stop the tears for the last few days.

Dave

Talk to your vet. When I have delt with os my dogs were on several different pain meds. How long since dx?

Guest dofarrel
Please contact Dr. Couto and/or his staff at Ohio State University. They have an amazing program for greyhounds and will provide your veterinarian with information about pain meds and dosages that work for greys. In some cases, they will even donate medications for treatment. Dr. Couto and his staff are also involved about cancer in greyhounds. This is a wonderful program and tremendous benefit for greyhound owners. You can phone them at 614-247-6757.

Thanks for the info! I will certainly check into the program and talk with my vet!

Guest dofarrel
Talk to your vet. When I have delt with os my dogs were on several different pain meds. How long since dx?

Doonie was diagnosed on Tuesday. I saw the x-ray, and to be honest it is a large tumor. I am surprised she only started to show any signs of discomfort recently. I will definitely talk to my vet to see if there are any additional meds I can give her. I just love her to pieces and want her to be comfortable until she lets me know that she's ready. I know I'll never be ready...

For maximum benefit to a dog with osteosarcoma you should be giving another medicine in combination with this one. The important thing is to keep your dog comfortable. Don't worry too much about the side effects. Previcox is a great drug but I always prescribe an additional med to go with it.

Mike - you seem to be a vet from your comment. Is there any specific drug that I should discuss with my vet to go along with the Previcox? We moved a few years ago, and while my old vet had a great deal of experience with Doonie, this vet has only seen her a couple of times. Other than this recent problem, she has been very healthy the entire time we've had her. (now 7+years)

Thanks for any advice,

Dave

Guest caiteag

PLEASE take this poster's advice. Contact Dr. Couto and OSU. They do wonderful work there.

Your girl will be in my prayers.

Guest GreytMuse

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, but you and Doonie will be in my thoughts.

I'm glad you've found our forums, there is so much wisdom and compassion here, please keep us updated on Doonie's progress.

I am so sorry, we are sending lots of prayers. Poor Baby... :hope:hope:hope:candle:grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest dofarrel

Thanks for the great advice smarthound! I have emailed back and forth with Dr. Couto, and he has suggested some additional medication and has also offered to discuss the situation with my vet!

Dave

Dave

:grouphug I'm so sorry you and your girl are having to go through this. I'm glad that Dr. Couto will be working with your vet to find a better solution to her pain management.

I am so sorry to read this. I hope you girl will have many more good days with you. I am glad you are taking steps to make her more comfortable.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Doonie has been added to the prayer chain in our house. :hope Hugs of comfort for you, too, Dave. :grouphug

Angels walk among us and one of them is named Dr. Couto.

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am sorry to hear your Doonie is sick. I am glad you were able to get in touch with Dr. Couto and I hope you get a good pain management protocol going and have much more quality time with your girl.

Guest smarthound

Thanks for the great advice smarthound! I have emailed back and forth with Dr. Couto, and he has suggested some additional medication and has also offered to discuss the situation with my vet!

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm glad you were able to connect with Dr. Couto and that he will be able to suggest additional medication. I wish the very best for you and your pup.

Jan

Guest jerrybird

I am sorry that you and Doonie are going through this. I too am glad that you have been in touch with Dr. Couto. We send you both gentle hugs.